Farang Shocks Massage Parlor

Palatkik

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two things:

Does anybody know for a FACT that these "do-gooding" folk are out there or is all this urban myth promulgated on boards like this one, amongst other places? I mean does anybody know one personally, or even know somebody who knows somebody who knows one personally? Being so, might the august boardmember arrange to have his "friend" post on the board so we can have a balanced exchange of views on this matter?

Second: Assuming they ARE around, then it wonders me that the Thai police are not able to, or choose not to, police there own without employing the "dreaded" falang..... ( his ethnic stock being the mother of all sources of all depravity... blah blah blah...............)

rompandadam said:

Does anybody know for a FACT that these "do-gooding" folk are out there or is all this urban myth promulgated on boards like this one, amongst other places?

I have seen a photo of one wearing a vest saying "Tourist Police Volunteer" in the Bangkok Post. The photo was taken at one of those raids. This was last year, I think.

But do not know any.

Cheers,

SD

SD wrote: "I have seen a photo of one wearing a vest saying "Tourist Police Volunteer" in the Bangkok Post. The photo was taken at one of those raids. This was last year, I think.

But do not know any."

SD this seems to fuel the bonfire of classic urban folklore stuff, if you dont mind me saying, and mysteriously falls short of your usual quasi-academic rigour in board matters....Not that I would wish to suggest you know more than you are telling..(hehe!)

Shyguy wrote: "Read this weeks Pattaya Mail."

Thank you I will endeavour to do so...I always try to remember not to believe everything I read in newspapers though.....

Perhaps I should post a reward, wanted " dead or alive" genuine specimen of......

While in Pattaya during Chinese New Years, that night I actually saw a Falang, definite white guy, late 30ish and professional looking, working with the tourist police at the start of Walking Street, working with them as "part of the team".

What caught me by surpise was he was wearing a side-arm, holstered, and had an official looking police type, photo ID badge on a chain hanging from his neck. Don't think he was one of those volunteer undercover "helpers", he wasn't wearing a standard Mib uniform but rather an official looking black shorts and white polo shirt, like from the FBI or another country's police dept.

Anyway, another tidbit of data to be applied towards Romp's query...

rompandadam said:

I mean does anybody know one personally, or even know somebody who knows somebody who knows one personally?

I know two farang police volunteers personally, and they are both high-profile people here in Pattaya. One is Howard who is the MD/Interviewer at Pattaya City News TV Programme, and the other is Niels at Pattaya People News.

I have spoken to Howard on many occasions and he has told me that the police have asked him to spy on bars in the past and he has always refused - similarly with Niels. Both of these obviously value their close contact with the police because of being journalists, and thus their ability to get stories from said police.

Howard sees his job as a mediator between farangs and the police. If someone gets ripped off in a bar or is robbed or gets beaten up, he can help them with the processes of reporting their complaint.

However, as he has told me, there are some other volunteers who love the whole uniform thing (where are you uniformguy?), and the macho-ness dressing up gives them. Whether they do it as an alternative to going to the monkey house and being deported, or whether they do it because they want to, I don't know.

Those who spy on bars I call traitors to mankind, and the sooner they get their sorry arses back home the better, but if what Howard tells me is true, I feel he and others like him are giving a useful service.

There is quite a long thread on this in the Pattaya section of the thaivisa.com forum, which Howard has contributed to.

I'll let him know it is being discussed here and he may pop in.

Archived