Contradiction fear?

Zaad

Maybe it's just me but I'm a bit surprised about the fear(-attitude) of some members to post or to get disagreed with.

Latest examples:

Be easy on me, this is my first post..

Sorry for my bad English, but..

I may be flamed for this post, but..

If such fears exist then I applaud those who are brave enough to post, but I ask; why the existance?

Do the discussions on this board scare others (away)?. IMO the average discussion in here is pretty mild and harmless even for the most sensitives in our midst.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An interesting question. I wouldn?t call it a contradiction fear but there are some ?voices? that make one feel to stay away or not to discuss problems in its entirety. That?s one of the reasons why I took a longer break from the board.

I do agree that the average discussions are civilized and harmless but a minority always tries to reign certain threads. Just my 2 Yen.

"I wouldn't call it a contradiction fear but there are some voices that make one feel to stay away or not to discuss problems in its entirety. "

I understand what you're saying, but disagree.

When flaming/personal material enters a discussion moderators will put a stop to that, rightly so, and poster in question will be dealt with.

Staying away or avoiding discussions/members for any other reason is missing the point of a discussion and is not the right attitude to start a discussion to begin with. Sure, some members use a dose of arrogance, sarcasm, humor, ignorance more than others, maybe not the best ingredients for a debate at first sight, but it does result in a nice variety of discussions IMO.

And I must admit that it'd be pretty boring for me without any of it.

As for the "voices excuse"..if a voice says the wrong thing it'll hear about it. Don't worry.

My feeling remains that certain members have this fear to be left out and have a sole opinion on something, this is a board, nobody alone, all together ;)

The best way I can put it is that some posters come across to me as pugnacious....and when they are around it feels like discussions tend toward 'taking or being taken on'....not sure much can be done about it though...all part of the human tapestry etc....

I felt like a late arrival at a party, the party was in full swing, and no one wanted to talkto me,

Maybe you didn't receive replies because they had no answers for you or nothing significant to add.

Happens to all of us.

All posts are read here by one or the other and I'm sure the majority appreciates that.

Some posters are more sensitive than others obviously, but there are extreme differences in debating styles among posters as Romp hit upon.

Some posters will simply say "I disagree and here are some reasons why" while another poster might say "I disagree and your arguments are stupid." The debate moves forward either way but some people don't want to be bothered with debating or defending against the latter posters.

What a stupid argument, Mailuk :p

Seriously, I understand what you're saying, but works both ways IMO. A guy telling me my arguments suck or are stupid works as a motivator for me to get him on his knees or prove him wrong in a discussion.

In any case, I believe members here should be wise enough not to be bothered by such childish remarks.

Another thing which may be reason for this 'fear' is avoiding disagreements with boardfriends (on a minor scale though). But I noticed a few and I believe disagreeing with a boardfriend is not only fun, but also very honest and open.

And a boardfriendship should be able to take that or there was none to begin with.

I personally would rather receive a speech from a boardfriend (as has happened) than a stranger. I find avoiding such is a form of hypocrisy, but ok each to his own.

I remember my first post (on afso) and I was reading what looked like a lot of old mates all talking very knowledgeably on Thailand etc.

Oh don't get me started..my first post on this board wasn't exactly what I expected either. It was about (well, not important) but fact was that a certain hotshot disagreed heavily and gave me this the-fuck-do-you-know-newbie arrogance.

I learned my (board)lesson and came to understand that this guy ain't so bad after all and that certain discussions have their peak and give best results when they're cooking.

Hell, some of the best info are retrieved at nearly thread-closing-time :) ...as long as we don't cross that fine line.

Archived