Contradiction fear?

Zaad

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ahaha, my first post was a strike. I had found a trip report utterly boring, and all the guys saying "tell us more", and i wondered aloud "more of what?....". Well, yes, as a NP newbie, i confirm that i was rattled off, and asked not to show up anymore......Which i did!: Just brought my tent, umbrella, no begging bowl and have stayed on the premises ever since. No commuting/showing up to nana for me :D :D :D.

You guys know that nanaP is a kindred spirits community. people do not post merely to add up comments, but to be with the gang. And everyone is invited, at the frequency they prefer, even if no frequency at all. Sharing the fun of knowing Thailand is the only passage rite. Few fail....

We're all part of it and every board, team, family, working place has its smartass(es).

We have met thanks to this board and (jokes - ass-licking aside) it was a pleasure meeting you and hopefully you'll give me a chance to repay you some drinks.

Due to given circumstances I am in BKK quite often right now. I am there again next week just for one day to pick up gf and take her on a buz trip. Just let me know by PM when you're in BKK again. I'll be there twice in September. :: No trip to BKK in August, though.

"Just let me know by PM when you're in BKK again. I'll be there twice in September. :: No trip to BKK in August, though. "

FYI I live here now (..see what info you missed :) )

Let me know when you're around and have time to meet for some refreshing drinks.

Cheers!

I agree.

It also seems that some posters get more leeway while others are held on a tight rein.

After I post what I feel is even the most innocuous post, I steel myself for someone to through a nasty disagreement my way. It's not the same in real life as people aren't nearly as argumentative or sensitive. Maybe it's the anonymous nature of a Board or maybe the type of people that are drawn to the board.

I've been a member for years and read the posts faithfully, but don't entirely feel comfortable posting because of this.

Hi,

"Maybe it's the anonymous nature of a Board"

Most likely, it is so much easier to flame and curse when you are safely and anonymously behind a computer screen than it is in person.

I would think that a lot of things being said here (or elsewhere on the 'Net) would never be said face-2-face.

Sanuk!

JB,

But, then again, you started posting your wonderful stories on your times in Thailand and became a valued member of asfo, and other places you now log onto. So the point I think Zaad is trying to make here is that it doesn't pay to be afraid of the more zealous or rowdy and over-bearing members. Best thing to do is to post away, within the rules stated, ask your questions, tell your stories, post your info and trip reports, get involved in the discussions you find interesting, etc. That is the quickest way to blend into the board and get the most out of interacting on a board. Just dive in. For the morons who bother you, well, best thing to do is just ignore them totally if they bug you. Or go to the mods and complain if you feel some one is unfairly harassing you or trying to provoke a fight. Lurking is a bit selfish, but not all have the time and energy to participate and add to the board. I'd only ask these lurkers to please unlurk once in a while when you have some time and post something relevent to the board, some contact info for a hotel or someplace decent to eat, other things like this can add immensely to the board's general knowledge.

Just my take JB. Hope to see you soon again. We'll see. I should know when I'll be back in a couple weeks. Don't think I'll make our friend's wedding, but may hop over for a short trip just to do so.

Cent

A guy telling me my arguments suck or are stupid works as a motivator for me to get him on his knees or prove him wrong in a discussion.
Probably true, but there is a real positive to some heated discussions. A vigorous exchange of ideas is a good for forming informed opinions. I constantly see points raised that had not occurred to me before. For example, in the news forum there is a thread about news reports here where the police often call a farang death a suicide when the facts presented by the police in the same news report obviously indicate otherwise, a member made a very interesting comment why this might happen. I am not sure if he is right, but it was an interesting thought that had not occurred to me before.

A free market place of ideas, which often requires a bit of argument, is also a good way of flushing out the nonsense from the truth. And there tends to be alot of fairytale nonsense about Thailand.

It can also be a good way of resolving factual matters. For example, in my post about the early closing in NEP on Friday night, I reported the unconfirmed stories I heard about how it was due to one customer. Some members thought this highly unlikely (and I can see why), but then Lord Toad added some information, which I didn't know, that made this theory for the early closing much more likely.

Archived