The ravages of drinking too much alcohol

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest lazyphil

My Grandad lived till a good age of 79 on 2 or 3 bottles of Pernod a week and 20 cigs day and survived El Alamein with Monty--cant keep good men down, keep knocking it back and all will be fine!

FJ,

Thank-you for a very informative response, to the post. I will get the tests done upon my return from LOS this coming August. Actually, I drink less in LOS, than at home. After working hard all day, I do a six pack a night, easy. At LOS, I drink "nam soda's" with lemon, trying to keep the sensations at it's highest peak.

Chok dee,

HOKS

I had a funny liver in spring last year. I'd been run down for months with colds/flu etc, taking heavy duty paracetemol cold and flu remedies. Course what better way to wash it down than with a bottle of red wine, few glasses of Tesco cognac and oodles of bitter.

Got to the stage where I was knackered continually and when I went for a check up the doc said it was a "viral infection". So, thinking it was Buddha's karmic revenge for being a naughty boy I thought it's gotta be the big one. HIV.

Blood tests revealed damage to the liver. I think it was probably the paracetemol that had done it over a prolonged period. Doc thought it was booze and told me to knock it on the head for a few months. He also said that my job had caused "burn out" which I'd half expected.

So, jacked the job, quit the booze for a few months, made arrangements to do some travelling I'd put off for years and hey presto liver was back to near as normal within 3 months. Happy days.

A friend of mine is a proper card carrying alcoholic. Gets up early in the morning and reaches for the gin. One time I stayed over I wandered downstairs and saw him sat at the kitchen table with a glass of what I took to be water in his hand. It was just before 8am on a Sunday morning. It was a tumbler full of Gordon's.

Over in Angeles, Philippines, you see a fair few guys with dodgy teeth. That's from drinking the local gut rot, Tanduay Rum. They mix it with coke. The teeth fall out or wear down to little stumps. Attractive it is not.

My first sign was numbness and bad cramping in both feet. After taking multivitaimins for a few days, the cramping stopped, but both feet were still numb. Decided to quit cold turkey. Tried to get some valium from the pharmacy, but no go. This was during Toxins "war on drugs" and couldn't get shit.

Spent 3 days curled up on the floor, uncontrollable shaking, vomiting, night sweats, insomnia. Not very fun. Any heavy drinkers wanting to quit--check into detox, or at the very least go see a doctor and get some valium. Well, at least my feet aren't numb anymore...

DR

Some people recommend this author... Carr's stopping drinking book

His book on quitting smoking has helped me a great deal. Pretty much only smoke on really big nights out, even then I curse myself.

Stopping drinking is so very hard, especially when everyone you know drinks heavily and likes to party.

I know someone who drinks just one day a week, he will drink about 22 pints of lager or so. I think maybe that is the way to go. allocate yourself one day and then only drink then.

The thought of giving up completely would make life a little dull.

STH

know someone who drinks just one day a week, he will drink about 22 pints of lager or so. I think maybe that is the way to go. allocate yourself one day and then only drink then.

I don't believe that is the answer.

That is called binge drinking and is very bad healthwise.

A couple of drinks at a time with the occasional blow out is probably okay.

The hangover has always killed me so i don't mind a drink or two but big amounts just mean i cannot do much the next day.

Binge drinking is worse than regular drinking. Bigger shock/insult to the body! I was prescribed Valium and Better yet, Oxazapem for the shakes and expected body problems. The first week was the roughest, couldn't sleep etc Other factors involved, but lack of booze really didn't help me. I sucked then, and sucks now. I would love to load up on Whatever hard booze I have, and type away, and watch stupid t.v/movies, whatever, but can't. dropped about 35-40 pounds so far, mainly from booze. And I want to keep going. Been about 5-6 months now...I did find my sexual activity went up last trip! Pull ah never mind the details...but it was great, and more frequent sober...only good part about it...girls in Long Gun, DollHouse etc couldn't believe I wasn't downing my usual 12 Black Cokes during happy hour...

Archived