The ravages of drinking too much alcohol

Indeed. Drinking excessively's the only unhealthy thing I do and I suspect if I didn't drink, I'd hardly have any body fat. My dad's an alcoholic, so I'm wary of it. Trouble is, unlike for him, drinking is still fun for me and makes me a more happy social person. I don't get violent, nasty or depressed on drink. (Whereas he drinks alone, is secretive about it and it just makes him more morbid.) If you're pretty happy with it, and are seeing few ill-effects, it's quite hard to give up!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

'My Grandad lived till a good age of 79 on 2 or 3 bottles of Pernod a week and 20 cigs day and survived El Alamein with Monty--cant keep good men down, keep knocking it back and all will be fine! "

William Burroughs lived beyond 80 despite a whole life of excesses, doing seemingly all kind of hard drugs in indecent quantities. Not exactly harmless on his entourage though, as he killed his wife reenacting the guillaume tell stuff with a handgun and his son ODd around age 21. For anyone interested BTW W. burroughs Jr wrote an autobiography in which he relates his visit to daddy in Tanger when he was only 14... model of fatherly care ... myself couldn't do better even if i tried...

Otherwise ER, well, just good luck

Agree Spirit,

a precision though about the autobiography, i was meaning the one from Burroughs' son, called "Kamekaze". Heard he wrote something else I never had the chance to read, I think it's called "Speed"

Hi O.H.,

There are many definitions of an alcoholic as I'm sure you know. I know a couple who know they are alcoholics. They do very well as control drinkers ... one or two (perhaps 3 or 4) a day ... but they show no ill effects: no increase in LFT's etc. These same individuals simply could not stick to AA. So, for many, I believe controled drinking is the way to go.

New Petchburi Pete said:...no increase in LFT's etc...

LFTs? :: Liver Function Tests? You mean no escalation in liver damage over time? If so, I'm sure you're right.

Agree with you too about controlled drinking being a viable option for some (it seems to work for me :up:). As I wrote earlier I think, it's horses for courses: some things work for some, others work for others, everyone's unique. You have to find the gig that suits you. Shop around, and don't rush. :) Controlled drinking's not only better for your body, it's also a more sociable way to booze ? less embarrassing apologies, mislaid possessions (and ugly birds mis(takenly) laid! :hubba:) and nauseating hangover sessions. :down: Of course, you can always have the occasional "night off the wagon" for old times' sake, just to remind yourself what it's like being a drunk. :drunk: (As long as you can still control it and return to controlled sobriety the next day... :nono:) That's about exactly where I am right now, and it's okay. :applause:

The only people who categorically deny that controlled drinking is a possible option for a confessed alcoholic are the AA brigade, but they're a bunch of twisted paranoid self-righteous blinkered spurious-statistics-spouting calvanistic smug manipulative parasitical naive anally-retentive cunts anyway (yes, I speak from experience :doah:). :banghead:

jack :beer:

Years ago, I saw a take on The Today Show, which featured the oldest 'known' man in the world at that time ... he was 126 and from Lebanon ... skinny as a rail ... drank a liter of vodka a day, plus three packs of cigs a day!!!

He was an exception ... for most, such habits greatly reduce longevity, not to mention quality of life.

Archived