Fantasy Premier League 2004/2005

ultras67

There's my chance of glory smashed. Wenger and Ferguson have fucked me.

No Henry (my captain), Pires or Scholes and none of them are even on the bench.

I've got replacements for each but Carvalho, Weir and Nelson don't quite have the same scoring power as the above three, do they? And my captain is lost forever.

Henry alone could have turned the tide. He's capable of 25 points and I was the only one of the top 5 who had him. All indications were that he would play. I was going to take a chance on Ljungberg too, for Scholes (who at least was said to be a minor doubt).

Ferguson and Wenger (especially) - cunts.

:cussing:

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a trip....

Here in the states we only had a chance to see two of the games from the last day of the EPL season. Norwich vs Fulham and Crystal Palace vs Charlton but that's OK because the best (or at least most meaningful) games where at the bottom of the table.

Anyway, at the end of the game the TV shifted over to the celebration at the end of the West Brom game. My American teenage son (who doesn't give a wit about the EPL) came into the room as the players start to celebrate and then watched as the fans come rushing out of the stands to join in the fun. Total mayham with smiles, cheers and tears because their team had won.

My son looks at me and asked... so that is the team that won the Championship? No I answer.... that's the team that came in 17th.

Shilo

Give your son a clip round the ear and tell him he's a clueless fucker who doesn't understand the meaning of passion in a truly worldwide game. Inform him that a game exists where they don't have salary caps, drafts (btw, wtf in "the land of free enterprise"?!) and more ad breaks than actual play and that 90% of the world prefer it to the snooze they call American "sports". ::

Congratulations to frogpatrol.

Not too bad a weekly score for me, considering Henry, Pires and Scholes were out. Just found the monthly table on our league. Top in December and May. Good this year. Wish I could have kept up my December performance especially! If anything, I left the charge too late. Next year, I will have learned and the bibblies will win someday soon. You know it will happen, like Rafa will improve too! :drunk:

I'll save my breath rather then try to explain the joys of the EPL to my son. Like 98.2% of his fellow American's, he couldn't care less. But don't knock the American football draft or the salary cap. They are there so that all of the teams have a chance to improve each year. Otherwise, America would end up with a 4 team race each year with a once in the blue moon surprise (read: Everton). Such is my one main problem with the EPL.....

On the otherhand, I'll take a moment to give myself a pat on the back :D

I started this year with a ZERO understanding of your game and league. And I'm as proud as a Baggie tonight with my 10th place finish. No predictions on where I'll end up at the end of the next season...... but beware when us Yanks start taking an interest in your brand of football. I think that I may have learned enough this past season to be a force come August ::

13 weeks

Shilo

bibblies said:

Congratulations to frogpatrol.

Thanks, bibblies.

I thought CBK would have gambled more with his choice of skipper, but still, I was nervous as the points came in.

As for choosing Henry as skipper, many people who needed points went with the same tactic. For me, I felt it too risky. I just bedded down with no lost transfer points. But given your place in the table, it was a reasonable calculated risk.

Pires was always a big doubt to play. No surprise there.

KMan, the silverware is back in Gooner hands!

Great year everyone. Looking forward to the Cup now. A very different type of tension awaits.

froggo

Congrats Froggo, you have had the lead for many rounds now and are a deserved winner. I considered SWP and Pires as cap, couldn't bring in Henry because of costs. I went for Lampard anyway, I thought Pires would get only half a match and SWP is not consistent enough.

Wenger put the nail in my coffin though.

Cheers!

check_bin_krap said:

Congrats Froggo, you have had the lead for many rounds now and are a deserved winner. I considered SWP and Pires as cap, couldn't bring in Henry because of costs.

Ah, you see - that's where my money-making strategy could have given me an advantage. I had fearsome scoring potential out there! I know Frogpatrol and Racha haven't been fans of the value approach but if the title race is as close next year as I expect it to be, all those high-priced players will be playing up until the final game and it will then pay off.

I was surprised you stuck with Reyes as I felt he was a certainty to be rested, given his participation in recent games and Wenger's stated intention to rest strikers who had played a lot of games. (That's why I thought Henry was safe - Van Persie had played a lot more recently.) Also, Lauren was known to be out with food poisoning and you didn't change him. That's 7m left unused!

Doing an exhaustive stats breakdown, I picked out Fulham as the team with highest scoring potential but there was no obvious selection apart from Malbranque. I looked at McBride but he hadn't scored more than 1 goal a game before that and, though I felt all relegation candidates were prone to conceding on the counter-attack, I didn't feel that he or Boa Morte would improve much on Ashton, Johnson and Henry.

Funniest sight of the day - James being put into attack. You've got to hand it to Psycho - the look on Reyna's face as he was replaced by a goalkeeper was priceless! And what must Jon Macken's face have looked like?! :rotfl:

Sorry to be a stickler chaps but I think my Girls have just sneaked it into second place :o

Congrats to Frog Patrol who has been consistently strong throughout the season :bow:

and tough luck to Mr Bautista Jecker. :devil: if I make to the party I think I owe you a pint!

Archived