Fantasy Premier League 2004/2005

ultras67

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, as the newbie in this league I set my goal to break into the top 10. And with one game remaining I've hit the goal.

Now if I can just hang in there for the last week.....

Learned a lot this season. And I look forword to putting that knowledge to work come August when I get a fresh start.

Shilo

A fresh start is no guarantee that you'll be in the same position as next season. Look at Racha and KMan (what happened there, boys? ::) Are they the Leeds and Blackburn of our Premiership? I've been in the top five every year without really threatening, so I guess I'm Liverpool. Froggo's won it before, I think, and was close last year so he's Arsenal or ManU.

Ah... the final do-or-die game of the season approaches again. Who will be the Yakubu this time and who will be the Camara? :)

Yep,

Bibbles, found out when they finished updating, CS still 20 points ahead of me, not likely to catch him now.

Very surprised Pires didn't get a bonus. Very weird. They really should get rid of the bonus system, it's totally bogus.

The bonus system doesn't annoy me as much as choosing a captain to double your points. It's just not needed and adds another layer of luck to the game. In a real game, a player playing well without actually scoring or assisting gives the team a boost (and hence there's some sort of basis for a 'bonus') but, these days, who gives a shit about captains? They have no special power! If the captain scores in a game, it's not like a UEFA away tie where it counts twice!

(Plus, I'm fucking useless at picking them... :) .For example, I picked Pires LAST week and Lampard THIS week... :( )

Choosing a captain makes it interesting since it's your choice and you can influence your own team. Can make a difference to somebody with a team of almost the same players.

I picked Pires this week and he delivered, but it's a bit of a gamble, although your own gamble.

Bonus points are giving in a non logical way.

bibblies said:

Froggo's won it before, I think, and was close last year so he's Arsenal or ManU.

Great balls of fire, did you just say that bibblies? Must have been a weak moment, eh? :)

I've done ok over the four years since Long Gun got us going with this game (first year = won; 2nd year = 4th; 3rd year = 3rd; this year = likley top 2), so I can't complain.

This year, just like last, is going to probably be decided by who picks the correct skipper. A dozen points is nothing to overcome in a week, so it is still up for grabs between CBK and myself.

BTW, congrats, CBK. You have been a tremendous competitor. I thought I had you buried each of the last two gameweeks and you rebounded superbly. Damn that Reyes!

Bibblies. I think 60 points in a week is too much to ask for. My sense is that your value tactic once again imploded. Unlike the Premiership, the richest teams are no key to success. But kudos for consistency. You are always lingering. Liverpool is probably a good metaphor.

So, here we go...... the final week.

Game on.

Ah yes, but calling you Arsenal or ManU isn't necessarily a compliment in my Liverpool supporter's book... ::

Value tactic hasn't worked for the last couple of seasons because the Premiership has been won long before the end so the more expensive (usually better quality) players have nothing to play for at the end. (Or, like Scholes and Ronaldo, they underperform.) It would have been interesting in the last week if the championship was still there to be won and Robben and Duff had been available. It also would have been interesting if you hadn't made those 4 transfers just before week 37 (you must have been having doubts about whether the large number of them would pay off, surely).

I find it really strange how Gallas's value goes up so much more than Carvalho's. Even this week where they're both obviously going to play and have the same chance of scoring or getting bonuses, most people seem to go for Gallas. They must be looking at the total points statistic. I've been looking at points per game this season, which is why I've got Ashton. (Still isn't perfect btw - I want points per minute!)

'Liverpool' and Liverpool will be back far stronger next season...

Archived