Anti-corruption sex boss leads race to election

bluescat

Tuesday, July 27, 2004

THAILAND

Anti-corruption sex boss leads charge in race to lead Bangkok

The godfather of the sex industry yesterday led the challenge to Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra's growing political empire in a key test ahead of national elections early next year.

The race to become Bangkok's next governor officially started with massage-parlour kingpin Chuwit Kamolvisit one of the frontrunners in a field lacking any serious contender from the ruling party.

Despite his controversial background as the boss of a chain of high-profile parlours, Mr Chuwit is credited with blowing the whistle on corruption after alleging last year that he paid police and politicians millions of dollars in bribes to stay open.

Mr Thaksin's Thai Rak Thai party has reportedly been reluctant to field a candidate for fear it could be humiliated after Purachai Piumsombun, the first choice for the job, refused to run.

Mr Purachai won the hearts of many Bangkok residents when, as interior minister, he led a morality drive that saw the city's notorious nightlife - some of it run by Mr Chuwit - hit with early closing hours and police raids.

But analysts say Mr Thaksin is hedging his bets by unofficially backing one of the few women in the field, independent candidate Paveena Hongsakul, whose only major pledge so far is to be available to voters 24 hours a day.

Ms Paveena's complaints led to Mr Chuwit being charged with employing underage girls as prostitutes in massage parlours that once employed nearly 2,000 women. He was acquitted last month.

The pair shook hands yesterday amid a carnival-like atmosphere as the first 17 candidates filed nominations for the August 29 election.

Mr Chuwit said he had nothing to fear from Ms Paveena since she was not a police officer.

"The feeling among the voters is that they have no choice because they cannot believe in the other candidates," Mr Chuwit said.

In what is likely to become a colourful campaign, the others standing for election include a candidate from the main opposition Democrat party and a controversial politician whose son was cleared of murdering a policeman in a test of the impartiality of the courts.

The result is not likely to have any significant bearing on the outcome of next year's national elections.

The whole Bangkok governor election circus nicely shows where Thailand really stands and is heading to, despite all TRT propaganda ? light years away from becoming a developed country and more likely struggling towards to 3rd world countries like the Philippines and Indonesia where graft and corruption are as prevalent. :(

Can anyone confirm that Chalerm Yoobumrung, the rather dodgy dad to the even dodgier cop-shooting sons is running for governor?

I've seen his mug on a few billboards over in this part of town.

If it's true, it's totally unbelievable but I admire his gall.

Can anyone confirm that Chalerm Yoobumrung, the rather dodgy dad to the even dodgier cop-shooting sons is running for governor?
His smiling mug is on a campaign poster in front of my condo; about five feet from that is a Chuwit poster. Chuwit looks angry.

Bangkok voters seem to be a pretty cynical about the election since the governor doesn't really have much power. Just about everyone in my offices jokingly says they'll vote for Chuwit. For kicks I asked a few smart-ass BGs I know at Silverdragon the same quesiton, and I got the exact same answer - Chuwit. It would be a hoot if he actually got elected.

Archived