"is" Thailand V "happened" in Thailand

MrX

I feel your pain, but...

I cannot speak for Throbb, but the way I see it, you miss the point completely. You are referring to minor points that are changed when the governments change. I am referring to the deep ingrained culture and the way things work on an interpersonal level. It has nothing to do with rules & regs -- those are minor stuff and easily changed (when they want to).

Cheers,

SD

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nah, it is major points.

There is religion, politics (already went into) and culture which is different!

Can you quote what is similar? Even where Buddhism is shared its practised so differently in these countries. Writing, language and EVERYTHING keeps them apart. More than in countries in Europe!!

Its quite telling that the end of life is treated differently. In Viet Nam people are buried with headstones, often in rice fields. Thailand, you know already.

From an ex-pats or tourists view I guess it seems different.

Ah, all orientals look alike, isn't it? :D

Try to tell a Thai that they are the same as the countries in SEA, and I guess you will get a better answer than I can tell you.

But I do not do well with any....... "third-worldness" that Thailand offers.

------------------------------

except for cheap sex and nighlife! Would you consider doing KL-BKK every once in a while for a 3rd world fix of farang nightlife? KL, yes, it does have P4P BUT: it's not exactly prompting its own NanaP board on the net!

Just teasing. i just do not believe, however sincere you may be, there are minor differences between asian countries, unless one means to say Japan and Laos are basically the same for being asian, and France and USA too, for ex.for being western. Sure, we can find many points of accordance, but someone electing one or the other to live in, will hopefully be a bit more selective.

Then, there is how open people are to change of location. And that, you may very well be adept at. But I'd say not many expat farangs think alike.

Suadum wrote: "However, I always seem to get skewered when I suggest that Thailand is the pretty much the same as Asia in general (for the most part)."

Looks like you can predict the future... or at least as far as to where this thread might end up going......

suadum said:

Sir Stamford,

A truer post was never written. However, I always seem to get skewered when I suggest that Thailand is the pretty much the same as Asia in general (for the most part). I am glad that someone with greater experience than I also agrees!

Cheers,

SD

For someone with even less experiences then the 2 above posters, but nevertheless more SEA experience then most here, I agree that Thailand is not much different then other countries in SEA.

I have heard many people bitch about Thais not waiting for people to get off the skytrain before trying to board, what horrible drivers Thais are, etc. IMHO, these are SEA traits. Driven by the Asian culture that if you are a stranger, you really don't exist for me and I can ignore you and not respect the space you occupy.

I also have to add; I have no idea what Romp is trying to say, but it is entertaining trying to figure it out.

TH

"I have heard many people bitch about Thais not waiting for people to get off the skytrain before trying to board, what horrible drivers Thais are, etc. IMHO, these are SEA traits."

Bullshit. Insane driving is found anywhere in 3rd world countries, actually the driving in Thailand is quite well organized compared to many other countries.

Has nothing to do with SEA countries whatever, can say the same everywhere outside whats called the developed world.

Guest lazyphil

Upshot is people are much the same everywhere, I'm correct yes! (often, selfish, greedy, thoughtless, xenophobic, kind, genorous etc)

Archived