Avoiding the "Finger"!

Being an American traveling to many parts of the world, I find it difficult to avoid the finger on certain occasions and have stoically adjusted to this situation. But there is another finger I have always avoided...the dreaded DRE (Digital Rectal Examination).

Before traveling back to the land of the hated, I am having a complete medical workup. Now having passed the milestone of 40 years a few years back, have I been saved this uncomfortable situation by the blessed PSA (Prostate-Specific Antigen) test, or should this be supplemented by the less than enjoyable DRE? Neither "Check up programs" that I am researching mention the DRE, but both have the PSA. My doctor in the US said this examination should begin in your mid-fourties and increase to an annual basis by your fifties. Not sure if the PSA was even available when I talked to this doctor (years ago). Any comments or advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

DR

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bad news dude. DRE checks for both prostate *and* rectal cancer, while PSA is, of course specific for only prostate cancer.

Now bend over and smile..

-j-

(although, to be really fair, unless you have a family history of colorectal cancer, 40 is a bit young to start regular screening for rectal cancer..).

Looks like you are an homophobe who is scared he'll actually like the finger up his arse.

Carlton,

Boy, I have never been accused of that (quite the opposite). Could I be getting yet another finger (figuratively speaking, of course)? Having worked in Los Angeles in the entertainment field for years (OK, only 4), over half the staff was gay and I partied with them every weekend. The funniest f**king crowd I have ever met in my life. They even had a term for straights like myself--"fag tags".

Did have a BG try that once, but only found it uncomfortable. I definitely would prefer a girl, but I don't think they have that option checkbox on the medical form...sigh.

DR

DRE is not too bad. Usually it's over in a second...although I had this one doc who thought there was something wrong and did a nice prostate massage/exam :). The dreaded rectal exam is the one that involves sticking a hose up the rear end and pumping the lower bowels up with air to check for polyps and cancer. It's less dreadful if the procedure is performed by nice females.

>>Good idea to start taking th herb saw palmetto as you get into your late forties.

It has proven capabilities with prostate problems. <

Saw palmetto? can you clarify, any other names, what does it look like? What kind of dishes do local peopel use it for? is this the thai name? does it have a Latin name? Any lit references?

Sorry about all the questions, just curious.

i agree, the mere requirement for an examination like that would make me consider selecting a female doc, not homophobic, just has a nicer connotation. Especially in LOS.

Had a really cute female dentist at bumrungrad last year, almost made me want to go back for more.

Shite, in my extensive pre Bar Fine eval i always request

bumm massage. Bring you own oil and make sure she (if that's your plan) has cut her nails. Stichs up the wazoo are very painful......

Soislut >make sure she (if that's your plan) has cut her nails.<

Vice versa (pun not intended)

One of my first stops when I reach BKK is at the beauty shop in front of the Ambassador, to get my nails clipped very short and filed smooth, both fingers and toes. I'd hate to cause an injury. Money well spent, frequently a girl will look at my nails very close-up, and nod approvingly.

Saw Palmetto sorted out my prostratitis a few years back very quickly...this was after the failure to repond to the western/medical research-paper backed approach ( high doses of gut flora destroying antibiotics for several weeks) had led to me being diagnosed as having a chronic condition..........believe the latin name is..... whoops cant find the packet...any way you could look on the net...incidentally have searched Bangkopk high and low and cannot find the stuff ...anybody know where?

Archived