Avoiding the "Finger"!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most civilized people would refrain from puking in front of the whole world but you went out of your way to do just that. Cheer up this is a sanuk board.

many words have more than one meaning. you gotta have enough sense to know which is appropriate. the correct definition here is obviously "facetious."

rompandadam said:

Sorry to fuss but would add that alternative quacks dont suggest palmetto for prostratitis ( as far as I am aware) they rather prefer zinc and vitamin C ....

quack view is that it ( palmetto) acts as preventively against those benign (and not so benign) cancers of the organ so prevalent in the ageing male..

But It worked very well for me and still does when I have the occasional flare up

NB it may be there are prostratiti ( clumsy plural!) with different causes...like free lunches ...no cure-alls to be had!

Just to be clear, there is no reliable evidence unfortunately that Saw Palmetto prevents or reduces the chances of getting cancer of the prostate, however, there is plenty of evidence that it helps slow down or reduce the benign enlargement of the prostate which commonly causes urinary problems in aging men. Thus it does contribute to prostate health. I have been taking it in capsule form for years. It has definitely helped me and I haven't noticed any side effects.

Incidently, the best deal for it I have found in the US so far is to purchase it at Costco (which btw also has good prices on other high quality supplements and vitamins). I actually save enough just on the supplements and vitamins I use to more than pay for the annual membership fee. Anyway, Costco sells a high quality Saw Palmetto product in bottles containing 350 (160 mg.) soft gel caps for about $11, which is at least half the price of most other places. Not only that but for the past several years, for a couple of weeks once or twice a year, they have offered a $4 discount on their already low price. That's when I stock up.

Mont wrote : "there is no reliable evidence unfortunately that Saw Palmetto prevents or reduces the chances of getting cancer of the prostate, however, there is plenty of evidence that it helps slow down or reduce the benign enlargement of the prostate which commonly causes urinary problems in aging men."

Hi Montagu,

I am ever the pedant!.... the "benign enlargement" as you describe it is a cancer too I am afraid.....!

Dont know about reliable evidence...seems a bit dodgy since we are in the area of alternative med which doesnt go in for accademic journals type proof..

Would be interesting to know how palmetto works on only mildly agressive prostrate tumours( if they exist)

If I remember well oncology is a pretty complicated and fast moving speciality and probably does nor lend itself to discussion on a board such as this...so bottom line is: go see your doctor if you have got concerns..dont listen to us!

I haven't read all the replies; but, I do believe the digital exam is important ... I had a polyp detected by one ... later reomved during coloscopy. Both tests really aren't that bad ... just seek out a doctor with small fingers ... just kidding.

Just check out the diameter of your excrement ... I'll bet it's much greater in size compared to anyone's finger.

BTW, make sure it's a finger and not a dick that's being inserted. :grinyes: ... not really funny, as there was such an instance in New England some years back!

Come to think of it, the only digital exam I ever had in LOS, was by an urologist at Bumrungrad ... in America, it's a routine part of an office visit to a good gastroenterologist. Chok dee.

Hi,

Well of course we are not doctors but my understanding that "BPH" is not considered a type of cancer is reflected in the following article:

[color:"blue"] "The benign enlargement of the prostate gland affects most men over the age of 60. An enlarged prostate interferes with the flow of urine from the bladder, which can produce mild to severe urinary obstruction.

After age 60, the number of men who experience urinary difficulties caused by prostate enlargement may exceed 70%. Autopsy studies show that 40% of men in their 50s are afflicted with benign prostate enlargement (Recker 1996).

Those afflicted with benign prostate disease have trouble urinating, or voiding, and are often overly sensitive to the presence of any residual urine in the bladder. Older men often must get up several times a night to urinate and still do not feel they have completely emptied their bladders. The relentless frustration of chronic urinary urgency is a major cause of sleep disturbance and the loss of quality of life as men age.

The acronym used to describe prostate enlargement is BPH, and this may be an abbreviation for either benign prostatic hyperplasia (meaning an increase in the number of cells in the prostate) or benign prostatic hypertrophy (meaning an increase in the size of the prostate gland). In medical literature, hyperplasia and hypertrophy are used interchangeably to define BPH.

According to the American Heritage Dictionary, the word benign means: "of a kind and gentle disposition, of no danger to health, not recurrent or progressive, not malignant." This definition, though, is only partially correct: BPH is not malignant. However, BPH may not be "kind and gentle" because it can be a danger to health and may be recurrent and progressive.

BPH is one of the most prevalent health problems among aging men. It has been estimated that over 9 million men in the United States over the age of 50 and another 20 million men worldwide suffer from BPH. BPH symptoms include increased frequency of urination, a sudden urge to urinate, and difficulty in urinating or a weak flow of urine. It is possible that the excessive tissue growth can completely compress the urethra so that little or no urine can be passed.

At times, BPH may become so large that the growth pushes up and presses on the bladder. This pressure and squeezing can partially collapse the bladder and will decrease the volume of urine that the bladder can store. It may also cause a pool to be formed so that some residual urine is retained after the patient has voided.

BPH affects each man differently. Because each man is different and each manifestation of the disease is different, there is no single treatment for all men. There is also no absolute cure for BPH. Men who have the surgical transurethral resection procedure (TURP) may be free of symptoms for some time, but BPH may recur in some of them.

In the United States each year, about a half million men are treated for BPH with various types of surgery and drug therapy. The second greatest cost to Medicare, at over $2.5 billion a year, is for BPH treatments. Note: The single greatest cost to Medicare, at close to $3 billion per year, is for cataract treatments. The expense for cataracts is greater because it includes both men and women and both eyes are affected.

[color:"red"] BPH VERSUS PROSTATE CANCER [/color]

"Impact of Dihydrotestosterone

PSA

[color:"red"]

BPH is an excessive growth of normal prostate cells. In prostate cancer, a tumor consisting of abnormal cells is the culprit behind the disease. [/color] At first the tumor is small, but a tumor may eventually grow so large that it infiltrates and occupies the entire prostate.

Another difference is that a prostate with BPH will be fairly soft and pliable. A cancer tumor can be made up of very tightly packed cells. The posterior, or back portion of the prostate, is called the peripheral area and lies near the rectum. This portion of the prostate can be easily detected by a physician. During a digital rectal exam (DRE), when a physician puts his gloved finger in the rectum, he can usually detect the difference in the soft tissue of BPH and the hard lumpy tissue of cancer. An experienced physician can determine a wealth of information from a DRE. For example, he might be able to estimate the size of the prostate and feel any irregularities. The prostate should feel smooth and pliable, much like the tip of your nose. A cancer might feel much like one of the knuckles on your hand. . . ." [/color] http://www.lef.org/protocols/prtcl-095.shtml

Archived