Avoiding the "Finger"!

Saw Palmetto

Serenoa serrulata (Michx.) Hook. f.

Figure 93.?Saw palmetto (Serenoa serrulata)

Synonym.?Sabal serrulatum Roem. and Schutt.

Other common names.?Palmetto, dark palmetto fan palm.

Habitat and range.?This palm is found in sandy soil from North Carolina and Arkansas to Florida and Texas.

Description.?The saw palmetto is a fan-leaved, tufted palm with a creeping, branching stem 4 to 8 feet long. The bright-green, fan-shaped leaves with 15 to 30 divisions are roundish in outline and are borne on slender stalks edged with spines. The flower spike is thickly hairy, considerably shorter than the leaves, and the flowers are small and whitish. The fruit is from one-half to 1 inch in length, 1-seeded like an olive, reddish brown or blackish brown, and smooth but somewhat wrinkled in drying.

Part used.?The fruit, usually referred to as the berries. The entire cluster is cut when most of the fruits are ripe. These are shaken off and dried on racks or tables. When still fresh they are not readily injured by rain, but if partially dried out they will absorb moisture which is not easily removed. It is best, therefore to protect them from rain, which will also assure a more uniformly colored product.

As far as finding it in LoS, if GNC does not have it (there is a branch in MBK), I would not know where to look. And knowing that GNC is crippled by the Thai FDA as far as what they can sell and therefore do not hold much hope, I would suggest a trip to Sillypore as GNC there may have it. of course a phone call would do as well :).

Cheers,

SD

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

>he dreaded rectal exam is the one that involves sticking a hose up the rear end and pumping the lower bowels up with air to check for polyps and cancer

Dude, you are talking about different things. A *rectal* exam can be done with finger. A *sigmoidoscopy* uses a flexible tube and checks the rectum *and* the sigmoid colon. What you are talking about is a *colonoscopy* which checks the whole colon (rectum, and, well, lets say for space the left and right colon).

-j-

Sorry to fuss but would add that alternative quacks dont suggest palmetto for prostratitis ( as far as I am aware) they rather prefer zinc and vitamin C ....

quack view is that it ( palmetto) acts as preventively against those benign (and not so benign) cancers of the organ so prevalent in the ageing male..

But It worked very well for me and still does when I have the occasional flare up

NB it may be there are prostratiti ( clumsy plural!) with different causes...like free lunches ...no cure-alls to be had!

>You seem really into it.

Sorry for knowing what I am talking about. Rare on this board I know. However, given that colorectal cancer is the number one cancer killer in many parts of the (developed) world, seems a good thing to be up on, no?

-j-

>In the USA where I'm from

Shrug. USA ain't the (developed) world. However, for accuracy, I will modify to *a* leading cause of death.

>There are better things for me to stay on top of.

Again, shrug. Its your life.

>The proper way to go about healthcare is through your doctor and other more reliable sources.

Agreed.

-j-

I take Saw Palmetto daily as a preventative measure and i have found that it helped to increase stream strength and it stopped a bit of hestiancy that i had as well.

Now i didn't have any problems per se but it has in a short period of time improved function and maybe prevented a problem from starting.

suadum said:

...tufted palm with a creeping, branching stem 4 to 8 inches long. The bright-purple, fan-shaped head is roundish in outline and borne on a slender stalk edged with spines. The flower spike is thickly hairy, considerably shorter than the leaves, and the flowers are small and whitish. The fruits are from one-half to 1 inch in length, 1-seeded like an olive, reddish brown or blackish brown, and smooth but somewhat wrinkled in drying.

Part used.?The fruit, usually referred to as the berries. The entire cluster is cut ...

Damn it, man- you describing my private bits??

Archived