Q Bar raided

The last article I saw mentioned that Thai civil libertarians contend the urine tests, etc., are unconstitutional. The police obviously have a different view. Nothing implausible about any of this. Thailand adopted a very progressive Constitution in 1997, and I would not be surprised if many current practices in the crackdown are inconsistent with Constitution. And I would not be surprised if the police continue with unconstitutional practices until (and perhaps even after) there is a Dika (Thai Supreme Court) ruling on the matter.

As much a I complain about the LOS, many Thais are proud of their freedoms and are also offended by what is happening now. Presumably one of these civil libertarians is challenging these practices now. The law can a bit a thin here, but it does exist.

But to some extent I think this discussion about whether there is a Thai law that requires foreigners to carry a passport with them at all times is a red herring, and I admit contributing to that red herring by asking for a reference to the law. Even if there is a law that requires foreignors to carry their passports on them at all times, what happended at the Q Bar has nothing to do with that law.

The police were not demanding passports because there is a law that requires foreignors to carry passports. That was obviously an excuse; a pretext for harrassing and perhaps earning a little extra money from foreignors. The latter has long history here, but the the former, harrassing foreignors in an upscale bar for not carrying passports, does not. There is more to this story than what appears on the surface, but I can't figure out what it is. What is really behind all of the recent unreasonable measures?

Incidentally, and on a more positive notice, I am in Pattaya now - quite a different scene. In the next day or so, when I have more energy, I will post a report.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jitagawn said:

APPARENTLY the week BEFORE THE RAID the policia found some 130 grams of heroin stuck up the pooper of a somewhat upscale Pakistani dude ...

While the number of farang picked up at the Q Bar is frightening, I'm not going to get unduly alarmed if this is simply a one-off event tied to a major drug case. I've spent considerable time in Thailand the past 16 years and have never been asked to produce my passport.

As long as passport checks remain infrequent, affecting a tiny percentage of farang, I'll probably continue playing the "odds" by leaving my passport at home (for the reasons mentioned in other posts). However, I'm quite prepared to carry my passport with me if these checks become frequent and reflect a more aggressive, systematic enforcement of immigration policy. This is would just be another minor inconvenience to put up with in order to enjoy the "privilege" of living in Thailand.

Gadfly wrote: "There is more to this story than what appears on the surface, but I can't figure out what it is."

Might we surmise that Q bar's relation with 'the powers' is not all it should be and needed a little in-flight correction?

Might we surmise that Q bar's relation with 'the powers' is not all it should be and needed a little in-flight correction?

Boy, you have that right. Apparently it's American owned. Someone needed a little education.

Wonder if we know the whole story about the bar's closure in Saigon.

gomez said:Boy, you have that right. Apparently it's American owned. Someone needed a little education.

Wonder if we know the whole story about the bar's closure in Saigon.

Not sure if they are American or what, but owned but a couple of farangs who seem to be "light in the loafers" if ya know what I mean.

Did not hear about QBar Saigon closing. Gee, that one was rated "the best bar in the world" by Newsweek 5555555555. We all know that Midnite deserves that title :up:! I mean my group of friends drunkenly voted it so a few weeks ago so it must be true :neener::D!

Cheers,

SD

Like in the past, this can go back and forth for all eternity, but the bottom line for myself is I ain't gonna believe there's no such friggin' law until someone shows me the exact law. I don't give a rat's ass about what some guy's friend who's a general says or what some farang or Thai lawyer SAYS. Tell me where the law IS so I can look at it and read it, or else I'll pay you no mind. And no one CAN show the law, because it does not exist. at some point in this endless discussion, someone would have produced it if it did.

As for the U.S., I remember decades ago, a Black man jogging through Beverly hills at 5 am. Of course, the police thought Black man, running, dark of night, wealthy neighborhoos, and WHAM. They caught him, no ID, into jail. It went to the Supreme Court, the Supreme Court ruled in his favor. Said no one has to carry ID. The Black man was all over the morning news shows at the time being interviewed about his victory. No state law can override the U.S. Supreme Court. I don't know how the Patriot Act, which I support, affects that, but I do know a law or presidential decree CANNOT overrule a Supreme Court decision.

I don't believe the law exists either, but you can't expect people to search through Thai law books to prove something that they believe.

This is a forum that people visit for fun, in their spare time, it's not work, shouldn't have to hire translators to remain credible.

Archived