Q Bar raided

maybe Suadum or another brave Farang can challenge the Supreme Court in Thailand on the passport issue! :neener:

at least this would only cost a bit of money (would contribute 10'000 THB even if we loose) in opposite to challenging your local police station could cause a serious bashing (no i will not contribute to any hospital costs; maybe you ask our friend Taksin whether the 30 Baht Thai medical scheme (scam?) covers you!) :neener:

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[color:"green"]what about the "tourist cops" I have been told about?? are they any good to help??[/color]

Actually pretty helpful to tourists and ex-pats who've been ripped off. Others might disagree, and I've never used them myself, but heard lots of stories about people getting stung in bars, scams, etc, and getting their money back when they return with the tourist police.

btm1735 said:ruling basically made the standard for probable cause so low that in pratice the cops can just about stop anybody and ask for ID, but they do have to have cause...So Suadam, you are not the expert on everything that say you are. :neener: :neener:

Well, when I was a young juvenile deliquent (as opposed to being an old one now :D) I got in trouble a couple of times for that as one generally leaves their ID at home when doing neferious things like stripping abondoned cars or drinking beer behind the high school. And that is what the coppers charged me with (no ID on person, that is) because we ran away too fast for them to prove we were doing anything else but they knew we were up to no good LOL!

I have not lived in the States for some time now, but you yourself admit that "the cops can just about stop anybody and ask for ID" which is no different than here in Bangers. Proabable cause can be "I do not like your looks" or "driving while black" as there are plenty of laws there (and here) to fill in the gaps as the fuzz deem necessary. Am I right or am I right?

But anyway, you siad "If you are not carrying ID, you are not breaking the law. If the police feel that they have probable cause they can hold you until they confirm your ID." Well, that seems to be all the coppers here are doing (except that you can pay a bribe to go home -- can't do that in the States). So the reality is exactly the same as in the States, chai mai?

Next contestant please!

Cheers,

SD

samak said:maybe Suadum or another brave Farang can challenge the Supreme Court in Thailand on the passport issue! :neener:
LOL! No thanks K. Samak. I will just rifle through my name cards or certain folks that I carry or, if worse comes to worse, call someone on my mo-by telesop list who can make trouble like that go away. Much more effective and fun.

Cheers,

SD

"Perhaps you need to brush up current US law. There was a Supreme Court case regarding this recently. Bottomline is that cops cannot go around just demanding ID. They must have probable cause to demand ID. If you are not carrying ID, you are not breaking the law"

I would say this is not true.

The Patriot Act changed that!

There are also other laws which allow a person to be stopped without any reason. One example in the extended range in which the Border Patrol can now operate within the US. They can stop anybody without any reason!

US border patrol, ohh they are doing such a great job in California !

In BKK the law is what the cop says right then ,

not much reason arguing the finer points of law with him.

First he was told to do it by higher ups,

second HE does NOT really know the law , just following orders !

.....ummm now where have we heard that before ?

>>There's a law in Thailand that all persons over a certain age (14/15/16?) must carry a ID, this applies also to foreigners. So we are back to the question what is a legal ID. <<

Sorry but this is just NOT true. I asked 2 lawyers here in Bangkok , one farang and one Thai. Both gave me the same answer. There is a law stating that all THAIS have to carry their ID card. There is nothing stated about foreigners.

Nevertheless, the Farang lawyer also told me that this does not mean much especially under the current administration.

Laws are amazing. Try looking at all the different law statutes that exist in the US, if it is possible. Ask a US lawyer "If all the law statutes could be placed in a room, how many linear feet of shelving would it take to contain all the law statutes??

You might be amazed that most lawyers can not even start to guess the answer to this one. Most lawyers specialize in a particular field such as criminal, immigration, business, etc.. One of the most baffling area is that pertaining to the US Customs.

Now back to Thailand. Not to long ago, a major terrorist was found in Thailand using a Spainish passport. Just recently, a falang was arrested in Bangkok for altering and selling passports belong to other falangs. If the police suspect somebody of overstaying or whatever, the problem can be easily resolved if the person has identification. If the person does not have identification, then what should be done?

Archived