Q Bar raided

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thai Consitutional Law books exist, and I have one somewhere. I got it from an old Law Faculty Ajan, and imagine they are not readily available at most bookshops.

You can find 'versions' around at bookshops, but not the gospel. I say this because the last one I saw in English was published YEARS ago :( and it was also a little thin to say the least - to have covered the whole story.

I am responding to jack :help:

I have read the Thai consitutional law word for word on obscenity, offending the king, and numerous other matters. I agree wholeheartedly with SuaDum on the matter.

Thai Law is a lawyer with a twisted tongue's wet dream. It is in passages purposefully obtuse and vague to allow liberal interpretation, IMHO.

There is a section that states that all legal foreign visitors are required to produce vaild legal ID upon demand by officials, while in the Kingdom. I think there may have been a provision for visiting royalty?! Can't remember.

I honestly don't remember or know what valid ID is, but would more than likely proffer that it is whatever the brass wants to see.

Hell if you read the obscenity law then you would see something really amusing. I can't even remember how vague it was about media based reproductions or materials deemed lewd or inappropriate :doah: It was almost literally that vague.

I personally would take my passport round if I'm going to a popular locale for the heat to show up at.

Best,

the_numbers

P.S. - I still want to know what the fucking fine was, and if the farangs signed any documents or saw any paperwork...

In reality in many countries the law is not totally specific. I would assume that there is a law about being to identify one self: why issue ID cards if not. Then as we are holders of Thai id cards (accept if you have a Thai drivers licence) we need to carry acceptable ID. Somebody somewhere has ruled what that is. It would not be unreasonable if passports were designed to be carried. Maybe is this day and age of terrorism etc. passports should be issued with a ID card designed to be carried. But not a full passport so it is invalid for crossing borders etc.: just a thought because most countries are getting tougher on carrying ID.

I think the point about this whole discussion is that operation looked suspect and seemed to be harassing tourists for no reason other than they were there. There seemed to be no leeway given and no understanding of the problems (of carrying a passport) that their demands were creating.

>all legal foreign visitors are required to produce vaild legal ID upon demand by officials

I have seen this snippet several times in the thread, and wonder what do they mean by "visitor"? As some one working here, am I a "visitor"?, and if not, would my Thai work ID be sufficient.....hmm. Bet *that* one depends upon the mood of the individual officer at the time.

-j-

[color:"green"] In the States, you can also be arrested if you have no acceptable form of ID on your person. [/color]

That is not true. The case, I believe you are referring to, was about a guy that refused to say who he was when a cop questioned him. Not because he lacked ID.

Well, you can be in Michigan. If you are over 18, you MUST have ID and produce it when requested. Either a driving license or a state issued ID will do. If under 18, you CAN be taken in to the station to be retrieved by your parent/guardian. Been there, done, that, got the T-shirt.

Can't speak about other states.

Cheers,

SD

c) A copy of the info & entry stamp pages from your passport SIGNED & STAMPED by an immigration offical.

I always carry a copy of my passport with me and it is no trouble to get a copy before I leave and have it stamped by the official, but how can he stamp a copy of the entry stamp. I didn't know those guys have photocopy machines.

Do you think they would accept just the copy of the title page stamped because otherwise they have us in a bit of a catch22.

Davo said:I always carry a copy of my passport with me and it is no trouble to get a copy before I leave and have it stamped by the official, but how can he stamp a copy of the entry stamp

You would have to go to the immigration office (on Soi Suan Plu in Bangers, dunno for other locales) and prolly pay a fee for this to happen...provided that they knew this part of the law LOL.

Cheers,

SD

suadum said:

Well, you can be in Michigan. If you are over 18, you MUST have ID and produce it when requested. Either a driving license or a state issued ID will do. If under 18, you CAN be taken in to the station to be retrieved by your parent/guardian. Been there, done, that, got the T-shirt.

Can't speak about other states.

Cheers,

SD

Perhaps you need to brush up current US law. There was a Supreme Court case regarding this recently. Bottomline is that cops cannot go around just demanding ID. They must have probable cause to demand ID. If you are not carrying ID, you are not breaking the law. If the police feel that they have probable cause they can hold you until they confirm your ID. The Supreme Court case ruling basically made the standard for probable cause so low that in pratice the cops can just about stop anybody and ask for ID, but they do have to have cause. There is no federal law in the US that requires one carry ID.

So Suadam, you are not the expert on everything that say you are. :neener: :neener:

Archived