Anyone had to show his passport to the police?

thalenoi

I a nightlife tread mention is made that any police officer may ask to see your passport and stamp to ensure your stay in Thailand is legal.

Some discotheques nowadays require you to show your passport before they let you in.

Many people on this board believe (and I agree) that it is a stupid idea to walk around on the streets with your passport.

You could loose it or worse, have a thief steal your passport.

Has anyone been asked by police to show his passport?

I rarely get stopped by police officers here around Chumpon (they do check motorbikes a lot) and when they see I am farang (after taking helmet off) they usually let me go, no questions answerred.

If however this rule gets enforced...that would be bad...

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi thalenoi,

A few months ago I got stopped by the MIB for putting a cigarette butt down a drain - fined 1,000 baht. I was asked for my passport but I said I didn't have it and no more was said. I think they only wanted it to see how to spell my name on the fine receipt, though.

That is the only time in four years that I have been asked for my passport by the police.

Khwai

Hi Thalenoi,

Nope, never once.

I was searched once by the MIBs during a drug raid, but wasn`t asked for my Passport.

Been stopped several times by traffic cops at police check points for various minor offenses, but never once asked for it.

I always carry it on me by the way, I would rather lose it while carrying it than lose it because I left it in my room.

I ususally stay in budget hotels/GH`s with no safe deposit boxes and besides I find it a pain in the ass to stuff my valuables in these boxes especially if they are not located in your room.

I frequently overstayed my visa up to a week or 2, but I would definitely not do this anymore.

In the past overstaying a visa with a modest amount of days wasn`t such a big deal.

I recall paying the immigration authourites in Phuket a visit and asked for a 10 days visa extention. To which the immigration officer replied: No need if it is only 10 days, you just pay the 1.000 baht fine at the airport.

Cheers

Hua Nguu

on my very first Night in Thailand i was walking down the Road looking for my Hotel.

i was a TOTAL NEWBIE and at around 01:00 i was stopped by 2 Motorbike Cops and asked what i was doing and where was i going?.

i explained i was lost and i was asked for ID and i produced my Passport.

i was also asked for my wallet and as 1 looked at my stuff,the other took me to 1 side and frisked me.

i didn't know any better and was very polite and contrite in my manner being a visitor.

being being stopped by the Cops on your first ever Night is not a nice thing.

everything was given back to me and they gave me directions to my Hotel.

next Day i found that my CC's were missing from my wallet.... :cussing:

no proof whatsoever but i know i had them 30 Mins earlier,because i paid for my time in a MP with 1 of them.....

I only got stopped 3 times when driving my motorbike, all 3 times because I didn't use a helmet, I didn't get fined or didn't need to show any form of ID/Passport, they just told me to take care of my head ;) but this happened in Langsuan/Chumphon not in a tourist area, nowadays I use a helmet :)

and no one never asked me for passport anywhere in Thailand so far but I haven't been there for a half year period now.

About a year ago, I went to Nana City Inn (or is it Nana Inn)....across from Grace Hotel.....and their policy was to keep your passport when you check in, behind the desk in a drawer. I said no way, and left...but other people gave it to the desk clerks. When I was in Saigon, many hotels request that as well, so I only stayed in ones that allowed me to keep it. One of the stupidest things I've ever done, though, is hand over my passport to a motorbike rental guy for the day! (I got it back just fine, but...).

In over five years living here I have not once been asked for my passport by anyone other than immigration authorities.

And I have been stopped by police many times on the roads of Thailand.

Admit it's been a while since I have gone to the discoteques that now seem to ask for ID, but have been to many similar places that would be too embarrassed to ask clients for ID.

Oops, edit to say I have indeed surrendered the passport to hotels and rental companies. Hardly police harassment, just people just trying to make sure you paid your bill or returned their motorbike.

Oops, edit to say I have indeed surrendered the passport to hotels and rental companies. Hardly police harassment, just people just trying to make sure you paid your bill or returned their motorbike.

gomez,

Need to made a comment here : remitting your passport for others to keep is illegal.

'Your' passport is property of your country, and surrendering to others is not allowed at all.

No way I would surrender my passport to a bikeshop for them to make sure I return the bike.

GF had no problem to surrender her ID thought, easier to replace as well, specially if she keeps a photocopy.....

BB

Hi,

I have only been asked for my passport once, that was quite a long time ago when I was staying in Mukdahan. I tried to explained it was in the hotel safety box but he didn't appear to understand, eventually he said sa-moke pointing to my ciggy, wanting to keep him sweet I got my nearly full packet out and offered him one, he took the packet from me took a ciggy out and lit it then put the packet in HIS pocket, turned to me and said pass-a-port OK then walked away ::

Archived