Anyone had to show his passport to the police?

thalenoi

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Getting back to the original question, are we including the several hundred people - as reported in the Bangkok Post and The Nation - who were required to show their original passports during the Q Bar raid?

Are we also including the several hundred people in the earlier CM2 raid?

I don't think anyone here disputes that these things are really happening. For example, I can't imagine The Bangkok Post, The Nation and the management of Q Bar making up what is essentially the exact same story. I guess it is really a question of how likely is it to happen to you? The police say - again in the press - they are making raids at least once a week.

If this continues, and if they require original passports everytime they make a raid, the chances of being required to produce a passport are very high if you go out on a regular weekly basis. Right now, however, much of this is new - at least the severity of the crackdown - and it remains to be seen whether it really continues. My hope is that it will end with today's elections.

Gadfly1 said:The police say - again in the press - they are making raids at least once a week.

But have you heard of any raids since the Q-bar raid two weeks ago?

I thought not. You really need to relax. If you have been here 10 years as you say, then you know what the game is and how it is played.

Of course, your board name could be 100% correct and I am just falling for your wind-ups. :dunno:

Cheers,

SD

The Q bar incident, just an incident ordered for some dark motive or the beginning of a new type of harassment?

Therefore my question.

For the time being these seem isolated actions, hope it will stay so.

I would not stay in this country if I need to show my passport at every corner of a street :o

Q bar not harrassment - if it is then why do Thai establishments receive the same type of 'harrassment'? Or is it that most falangs are familiar with what is going on around the falang establishments but have no idea that 'everybodey' is getting clobbered?

But have you heard of any raids since the Q-bar raid two weeks ago?

I thought not. You really need to relax. If you have been here 10 years as you say, then you know what the game is and how it is played.

Hmm...I don't know. I have been following the threads and reports here and elsewhere and looking at things from a far it does sound like Bangkok is NOT the place to visit now.

In another thread I recall reading you saying that a half dozen bars were showing, but none of the other posters agreed. I talked to a friend of mine in Bangkok, and he said that if there were bars showing NEP or Soi Cowboy, it was news to him. This is all hearsay of course, but as my lawyer friends here in Hong Kong say, credible hearsay is admissible and often very persuasive.

On the passport issue, I just finished today's installment of Stickman and this is what he reports:

In response to last week's column entitled "the passport fiasco", I have been sent some horror stories of people have not had their passport on them when approached by officials. It seems that if emails that I have received this past week is anything to go by, MANY people have been taken to the immigration department on Soi Suan Plu where the authorities awaited the arrival of their passports before releasing them.
That doesn't sound good to me. And now this is what Stickman reports on last night in NEP:
Last night the gogo bars opened at Nana as per usual. There was no alcohol on sale because of the election for the Bangkok Governor which is held today so it was just Coke, music and the girls. The bars were doing a reasonable trade, all things considered. Barfines were good and then around 8:30 PM the police arrived and closed them all down! They told Big Dogs and Lucky Luke's that they could stay open, but were told that they were not allowed to sell alcohol, which they already knew. Those two bars stayed open and adhered to the new rules. At around 10:30 PM the police arrived and arrested two cashiers at these bars. It would seem that they do not have a license to allow the girls to sit with customers... They then checked all the receipts and find that they sold a beer at 7:57 before the original police came to Nana. Licenses in open air bar beers for girls to sit with customers? What is the world coming to?! None of the bar owners or managers received anything in writing concerning the dos and don'ts of Thai election etiquette in Nana Plaza.
He concludes with: " Notice a trend here? Soi Cowboy and Nana were once places where one could go out and have a fun night, a few drinks with friends and a laugh. Are they now?"

Somehow I don't think I would be reading this is everything is just fine in Bangkok as you suggest. I don't know, maybe you are right while Stickman and everyone else reporting from Bangkok is just at the wrong place at the wrong time, but I think I am going to avoid holiday weekends in Bangkok until I start hearing more positive reports. Possibly Pattaya, but Bangkok is off the radar for me and just about every other guy I know here until we stop seeing reports about urine tests, passports checks and mid-evening police raids. Who needs that crap on a holiday?

William Ginzer said:In another thread I recall reading you saying that a half dozen bars were showing, but none of the other posters agreed. I talked to a friend of mine in Bangkok, and he said that if there were bars showing NEP or Soi Cowboy, it was news to him. This is all hearsay of course, but as my lawyer friends here in Hong Kong say, credible hearsay is admissible and often very persuasive.

Up 2 U as theBGs say. But there is at least one guy who has verified what I say...

It makes not make any diff in my life if tourists come to BKK or not. I am just trying to pass FACTS from a long time resident and get people to use their brains and relax. But it is far more fun for most posters to run around in panic mode asnd talk about thinjgs that happened to "a friend of a friend"! And it IS fun to watch that LOL! So I'll just sit back and watch the "Chinese fire drill" :up:.

Cheers,

SD

Archived