Anyone had to show his passport to the police?

thalenoi

tell me about it.

i was a little worried because i had been stopped by the Cops at such a late Hour and i didn't know what the routine was.

so i just complied with all their requests and hoped i would be allowed on my way,which i was.

but it was not a nice thing to happen on my 1st Night in a Foreign Country.

but at least they spoke good English and we were able to communicate.

i hate to think what it would be like if you could not communicate with the Cops....

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After 3.5 years in BKK, I've only been asked by the police for my passport once. A farang friend and I (and our two ladies) were walking into the RCA area. There was a checkpoint, probably to keep out people underage. I produced the photocopy I keep in my wallet. My friend did not have his. The cops let us through - no big deal. No hassle for my friend. One of the cops gave me the thumbs up for carrying the copy.

Technically the copy should contain the page with your picture and your current visa. I can't say I've kept up with the latter.

june11 said:

About a year ago, I went to Nana City Inn (or is it Nana Inn)....across from Grace Hotel.....and their policy was to keep your passport when you check in, behind the desk in a drawer. I said no way, and left...but other people gave it to the desk clerks. When I was in Saigon, many hotels request that as well, so I only stayed in ones that allowed me to keep it. One of the stupidest things I've ever done, though, is hand over my passport to a motorbike rental guy for the day! (I got it back just fine, but...).

Hotel receptionnists need to record information from your immigration card, therefore they need to see your passport, but "keep it", no way. (as a guarantee you will pay the hotel bill?, give them an advance)

I never was asked to show my passport on the streets and hope it will stay so, I never carry it and will not for security reasons. Carrying a photocopy would be ok.

As for motor bike rentals, I rented one two weeks ago in Chiang Mai and had to give my passport. I don't think that is legal, but then this is Thailand. When I turned the mb in I had to flip through a bunch of passports to retrieve mine. The guy would not have seen the difference between any of them...

june11: I noticed some places ask for passports for renting motorbike in both Cambodia and Thailand but often a copy is accepted. If renting from a hotel they usually don't pester you about it. Once in KohKong Cambodia the manager at hotel just ran out the door and stopped someone riding a bike down the street for my rental. Guess $5 is big money there. I would not leave a passport with anyone. Can you imagine the trouble if someone lost it or claimed it was stolen? What would you do?

Once when I took a tour bus from Malaysia to Thailand my passport was taken after buying ticket and it seemed to be standard operating proceedure for agent to process visa. No passport until end of trip! Didn't like this system.

my regular Hotel in Patong was a great little place and i had no worries about leaving my Passport with them for a few Hours while they completed the paperwork.

after all i always arrived at around Midday and i had more important things to do after a 24 Hour journey.

there were Ladies who had to experience the Sayjann Charm.

but on return to the Hotel my Passport was placed in the safe behind Reception(needed 3 different keys to open it)for the duration of my stay.

the only time i didn't do this,i lost the bloody thing........ :cussing:

On my last trip I had to do a visa run and decided on Mair sot and across the bridge into Myanmar.On the trip back to Bangkok the bus was stopped by the army at one of the several checkpoints on this road.They asked to see my passport and checked it .When the guy discovered I`d been into Myanmar,he called over one of the others and both looked rather worried,then asked to search my ruck sack,when nothing was found they got off and let the bus get on its way.I got the impression that they had had problems with illegal activities on this route ( drugs ? ) in the past.

pe7e said:..eventually he said sa-moke pointing to my ciggy...

As long as he didn't say "Sa-moke!?" :hubba: whilst pointing to his dick and leading you down a dark, deserted alley. :doah:

Never asked to produce my passport once by the fuzz in over 20 visits to LOS, :applause: though I've been spoken to by them a few times. :nono: Once, like Khwaiyouseenmybike, I was huckled for dropping a fag end down a drain on Sukhumvit. :drunk: They asked for 1000 baht. I told them I only had 100 baht on me. :( They took the 100 baht and that was that: no names, no pack drill. :)

Another time, I was with a recently hired 'n sired BG :hubba: in a private mini van coming back to BKK from a hungover tour of some fucking pile of rubble (just us two, the driver and a young guide bloke). Our affable driver took it into his head to slam crash-bang into the back of a bus right beside National Stadium. We were all shaken and bruised and the front end of the motor was concertina-ed, but no serious injures. :rolleyes: Lots of boys in tight brown quickly arrived. Never asked me for any ID at all, just said "You okay?" then told me and the hooker to bugger off while they sorted out the wreckage and took bribes from those involved. :o

Whatever, I always carry a photocopy of the passport main info page with me, leave the thing itself in a hotel safety deposit box. ;)

Sayjann ? one early evening on my first trip to BKK, a tout at Patpong inquired if I fancied a "girly show" or whatnot and I jokingly, having consumed a vast amount of beer earlier that afternoon :drunk: and having some considerable trouble keeping my eyes open by then, :sleeping: asked the stout yeoman if he could, instead, by any chance procure me "some speed". :up: He relieved me of a few hundred baht and ordered me to wait where I was. Ten minutes later, he hadn't reappeared and I began to suspect I'd been ripped off. :clown: I stolled over in the direction the tout had sped to see if I could spot the little cunt and give him a good kicking. :: I turned a corner, and there he was in heated conversation with a police officer sitting on a parked motorbike. :o I stayed out of sight, but saw money change hands, from the tout to the rozzer. :o The copper starts his bike and roars off, then the little dude walks over to me and, with a salacious wink, presses 4 little red pills into my sweating palm. I took all 4 and my eyes stayed wide open for the rest of my visit, even with a gallon of beer on board before sundown. :applause:

Of course, I would never do anything as stupid as that now: :angel: he could just as easily sold me some weed then grassed me to the copper once I'd got the gear in my pocket. :( Nor am I advocating the use of illegal substances. I am thoroughly ashamed of my wretched self and read the Bible almost every night... ::

jack :help:

you silly Boy Jack.

even before my first visit i had read the advice about not accepting food or drinks from strangers.

i even got worried when i was offered free fucks from certain BG's,i thought they must have had some ulterior motive.... :rolleyes:

needless to say i soon overcame my fears and rogered them silly..... :hubba:

Archived