Anyone had to show his passport to the police?

thalenoi

But have you heard of any raids since the Q-bar raid two weeks ago?

I thought not. You really need to relax. If you have been here 10 years as you say, then you know what the game is and how it is played.

Nearly everyone here agrees that this is the severest crackdown in recent history. It is not just me; scan the threads. And it is not just the members of this site; the Stickman column is worth a read if anyone has any doubts. Stickman 29 Aug 04 We are all simply reporting the facts.

And this makes your patronizing tone and comments, such as ?you really need to relax? so puzzling. Why? It is not going to change the facts. And it is not going to enhance the credibility of your claims; certainly not when you make obviously false claims, such as your claim in an earlier thread that in NEP and Soi Cowboy: ?I can go to at least a half a dozen bars on any given night and see tits on display. Usually bush too.?

That was quite a whopper.

On the timing you may be right. Perhaps if you go back to the mid 80?s ? some 20 years ago ? there were more severe crackdowns. I wouldn?t know, and I don?t really care since I cannot see how that could possibly be relevant to what is happening now.

I honestly don?t know if this crackdown will last or not. And I am not pretending to be the expert on Thai nightlife that you claim to be. That is why there was big fat IF in my post when I concluded with:

If this continues, and if they require original passports everytime they make a raid, the chances of being required to produce a passport are very high if you go out on a regular weekly basis. Right now, however, much of this is new - at least the severity of the crackdown - and it remains to be seen whether it really continues. My hope is that it will end with today's elections.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gadfly1 I totally agree with you on. I challenged Suadum when he reported about the 1/2 dozen of bars showing tits or even more to private me and take me with him. So far I did not get any invitation so I have to rely on my own eyes only.

Definitely the upstairs bars in Patpong are showing as usual, but the quality of the girls is also as usual. Better no tits than the tits of 30+ years old, fat multiple mothers. Sorry, I am not Wayne Rooney... ::

That Patpong is still showing is actually more prove for the assumption that the crackdown focuses on Farang owned businesses in particular.

On Friday I was out with friends in Nana. No tits, no bush at all, but a piss test starting around midnight. No customers were forced to piss though. Rainbow Bars and Hollywood Carousel were doing quite well; all other bars had neither much customers nor girls. Especially the crown group bars were really deserted. Some had no customers at all and very few girls. Wonder how they can survive ? :dunno:

Gadfly1 said:make obviously false claims, such as your claim in an earlier thread that in NEP and Soi Cowboy: ?I can go to at least a half a dozen bars on any given night and see tits on display. Usually bush too.? That was quite a whopper.

Errr, "NEP and Soi Cowboy" are your words, not mine. In fact, if you *read* my posts, you can even find that one of those areas I *never* patronize. People on this board have backed me up on stuff I said. You cannot find it? Too bad for you. But I do not give a shit. Think what you want, but do not ever question my integrity. In fact, move away from Bangkok -- yer right, it's crap. That would do the whole expat community good as whingers like you make it tough for (or at least annoy the shit outta) all of us. Buh bye now.

Hardy - First I heard of it. No PM ever received from you. I have nothing to prove to anyone. I go out and drink with my friends to have fun, not to prove a point to someone on a stupid message board. *Maybe* you are a decent guy who is fun to hang with, but I do not get that drift from posts like that. So no, I will not take you out. Ever. Buh bye 2 U 2.

God, I lub the ignore poster feature too mutt!

SD

It seems to me that you are missing the point.

Bangkok nightlife has deteriorated rapidly over the last few years as a result of :

early closing

no showing where there was showing before

closure of bars

random drug tests

harassment of punters and girls through the use of ID checks

higher licence fees

higher drink prices

These are all facts.

Now the fact that you and a few of your mates have managed to find some place or places where this is not going on is great for you BUT the fact remains that for the majority Bangkok nightlife has become decidedly less sanuk.

If the places where you go became extremely popular and on the police radar so to speak i would hazard a guess that they too would be targeted for harassment.

So Zorro, I take it that you would rather go play in Riyadh, eh? I hear it's happenin'...NOT!

Basically y'all sound like a bunch of little babies who lost a ball. You have a whole toybox full of toys and they are still the most fun in the place, but you still cry over the one you do not have.

Bitching about it will not change it, so why do it? It is boring reading post after post of crybabies.

Lets look at AGAIN:

• early closing - Shit man, if you can't find a ho' by 0100, give it up -- as they say "you couldn't get laid in a women's prison with a carton of ciggys!" Wanna drink more? There ARE afterhours places STILL open. Same-same. Ask a BG for directions. Or sit on Suk with the other dregs and people watch. Not for me, but then again, I do not *need* to drink all night (but sometimes I want to and know where to go -- see instructions above). Want 24H bars? Go to Hong Kong. But then you'll bitch about the price.

• no showing where there was showing before Not everywhere as we have already covered. And no *not* just Patpong, but those that dismiss the place maybe should go there sometime and check it out instead of just parroting back some lines they heard somewhere (not directed at you Zorro). If they think that there is only saggy titted grandmothers they wil be suprised. Better talent than NEP by far, if you choose bars wisely.

• closure of bars They have always done this for rules infractions. Why is it any different now except that they changed the rules a bit. The bars will adapt, as they ALWAYS do when the rules change.

• random drug tests Doesn't affect me. Testing farangs seems to be *extremely* isolated. I have sat in Cowboy bars and drank while the piss test van was outside. Nobody bothered me. If they check the gals, I say go for it as I do not want any crazed, strung-out, yaa baa/yaa maa queen going nuts on me! A bad thing? Debatable.

• harassment of punters and girls through the use of ID checks What is the big fucking deal here? Do you carry ID when you are in Saudi? I KNOW you do or you are very lucky/stupid not to be in jail. Same-same pretty much any country, especially since 9/11, like it or not (I dont' but I can't do anything about it). And if the coppers checking ID keeps the underage gals out of the bars, then huzzah for that. Besides, NO ONE I personally know has been harassed. I have lived here a long time. I know a LOT of people who live/work/play in ALL areas of the city. [color:"blue"]Edit: Ya know, I just when through this entire thread looking for "Anyone had to show his passport to the police?" as is the topic and not a one responded yes. Imagine that! [/color]

• higher licence fees Who give a shit? You own a bar? Then why do you care?

• higher drink prices Some places I feel are a bit too high. So don't go there. But even overpriced Crown Group NEP go-go bars are still cheap compared to mainstream places like Hard Rock or CM2 at B180/beer. EVERYTHING is more expensive here in Bangers, as it is all over the world, from a few years ago. But you would not realize that as you only come on holiday -- things do not stay the same when you are back home.

As I asked before and no one answered (because they know the answer and it does not look good for their side) -- Have you heard of anything like the Q-Bar incident over the past wtwo weeks? No. So much for the "test/raid like this every Friday". Hmmmm, sur-prise, sur-prise, sur-prise!

But in the end, whatever. I am tired of this thread. I wish that there was an ignore thread button cuz like a damn traffic accident, I just cannot stop looking in here...

Let the whinging commence! Errr, I mean continue.

"So Zorro, I take it that you would rather go play in Riyadh, eh? I hear it's happenin'...NOT!"

I don't live anywhere near Riyadh but I do live close to Bahrain and there are plenty of lovely Thai ladies to keep me happy. Thank you for your concern.

Getting back to the topic at hand you seem to be in complete denial about the changes to Bangkok nightlife.

Granted youi can still have a good time in Bangkok but if you read the reports from many different people the sanuk factor is way down on what it was previously.

As long as Pattaya remains the same then i will just keep going there and give Bangkok a miss for the time being.

I don't want to deal with all the possible hassles that could happen should i decide to have a night out in Bangkok.

One point that you made is valid i believe and that is that Patpong is the place to go these days. It seems generally that this area is less targeted and more relaxed than the Suk area.

Getting back to the topic at hand you seem to be in complete denial about the changes to Bangkok nightlife.

Granted you can still have a good time in Bangkok but if you read the reports from many different people the sanuk factor is way down on what it was previously.

You are absolutely right: Suadum is in denial. It is simply ludicrous to suggest that Bangkok has not changed. But I doubt that we?ll convince Suadum of that.

As I see it, the real beneficiaries of accurate factual posts about what is happening in Bangkok are those who live outside of Bangkok. We have already seen some of that already.

You are absolutely right: Suadum is in denial. It is simply ludicrous to suggest that Bangkok has not changed. But I doubt that we?ll convince Suadum of that.

Gadfly,

Actually I read this another way..... suadum never denied that BKK has not changed, he just pointed out that one should not be bitching about it, BKK is still the greatest place to be and the best place for sanuk.

Again, this is how I read him.....

I have been to LOS and Bangkok since 1980, of course I have seen changes, some for the better, some for the worse, still I have no reason to complain at all. Its all there and more......

Nude dancing or not, some days yes, some days not, so what ?

All IMVHO of course.......

BB

>>I have been to LOS and Bangkok since 1980, of course I have seen changes, some for the better, some for the worse, still I have no reason to complain at all. Its all there and more<<

You are right for the time until 2001. Since August 2001 however, I can?t remember of any change for the better concerning the night life? Of course there might be one or two exceptions and Suadum will surely come up with them. But for every change to the better I promise to list at least 5 to the worse.

Actually I like Suadum?s toy box example. However, I and most other posters don?t feel that the current social order policies have taken one or two toys out of the full box but rather just left one or two in the box. Of course there are always kids who still are happy with the remaining toys until their last toy has been taken too. Great for you if you are one of them!

Suadum regarding to your comments that I should go to Patpong myself instead of citing lines of others I can assure you that I have been to Patpong twice last month and I am reporting my own impressions and the impression of the guys who were with me. If you are happy with looking for the rare diamond within all the garbage great for you, but please accept that other people have different standards. It?s just not my understanding of fun, if I am approached from bunch of old dogs obstructing the view to spot the rare stunner and asking for LDs before I could order my own drink.

Suggesting that we have impugned your integrity, you say: "Errr, "NEP and Soi Cowboy" are your words, not mine. In fact, if you *read* my posts, ? but do not ever question my integrity..."

Well, following your complaint about wounded integrity, I went back and read your posts, and the posts of others, to see if we have we have unfairly questioned your integrity by putting words in your mouth that don't belong there. And I discovered that when you go back and read the relevant posts - hint: they are in the ?Bangkok Sucks Now - What is Happening in Pattaya? thread, which is where you made your now infamous claim - and you put your comments in context, it is absolutely clear we are not.

When you made your now infamous claim ?I can go to at least a half a dozen bars on any given night and see tits on display. Usually bush too,? you were responding to the following comment from me:

Absolutely forget about the shows you might have seen in places like G-Spot a few years back. Even the topless dancing you occasionally saw in a certain downstairs NEP bar until a few months has stopped and the police are now cracking down on bars where the girls simply wear skimpy bikinis. (Perhaps in the upstairs bars of Patpong they still have geriatric nude dancers, but who wants that?)?
This is where it all started. When you responded with your claim that you ?can go to at least a half a dozen bars on any given night and see tits on display. Usually bush too,? it was clear that we were excluding the upstairs shows in Patpong. Notice my comment that "geriatric nude dancers" really don't count? And notice that no one - particularly you - disagreed that the upstairs Patpong shows don't count either?

And if it wasn?t clear enough then, it became even clearer in the posts that challenged your claim that you "can go to at least a half a dozen bars on any given night and see tits on display. Usually bush too." When you responded to those challenges, you never said Patpong. You never even hinted at Patpong. Why? Because it was clear that none of us were talking about Patpong.

Indeed, when you didn?t respond to the challenge, I made the following comment: ?No offense, but here is the problem: I don't believe there are, as you claim, a half dozen bars showing tits and even bush in Soi Cowboy or NEP. I would have noticed by now.?

The reference again is specifically to Soi Cowboy and NEP, and again you never once mention Patpong. Instead, you responded with the compelling argument: ?the fellow who run in my crowd know I always speak the truth.?

Have we impugned you integrity by putting words in your mouth? I don't think so.

Archived