Wife looking for a woman for the Husband

jasmine

Reference: Sakul Thai Magazine of the month August 2004.

A wife of 60 years of age wrote to a column similar to ?Ann Landers? saying that she had been married for 24 years to a man who is 8 years younger. They have had successful business, the husband is faithful and a very good father and husband.

The problem is that she wants to retire from work and being a wife in order to enter a nun-hood. However, she feels that her husband needs a woman who can be a sexual partner and takes care of other needs so she asked the columnist to advertise for a wife in the age between 30-45. The husband wants her to find a woman for him.

The columnist replies that, it is not like ?old Thailand?, which a wife can look for the concubines for the husband. She suggested that the wife practiced ?Metta? which can mean kindness and understanding and to bind her time until all obligations are complete. The columnist also states that the idea of getting a woman for men should be re-evaluated because it is no longer right to just using another woman. :D

I am aware that in the ?old Thailand? many wives did this, some willingly, some were forced to. I told my mother about it and she said that a neighbor (a few house down the road) did just that and everyone is happy, they hired a very nice Isaan woman of the 38 yrs. old. She also said that many women due to hormones change and so on get tired of being a wife and do want to retire. (now I understand this) :o

This sounds strange to the people like me who has time in the West more than in Thailand, does it sound strange to any of you?

Jasmine

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

can you send me a copy of that magazine please. that might help me to convince the missus that it is perfectly normal and natural to find me a proper mia noi, which to have, i think, is obligatory for my status and age, and for further social and cultural advancement.

and of course of further importance - it will make life easier for the missus as well - less work, somebody else to command.

"This sounds strange to the people like me who has time in the West more than in Thailand, does it sound strange to any of you?"

Doesn't sound strange for this to happen in Thailand, to me anyway.

and the bit about "She also said that many women due to hormones change and so on get tired of being a wife and do want to retire." is universal. Seems to happen to women in the west all the time. But then the husband has to live with it. No choice.

I've always maintained that Thailand is a far more cultured land, it's only the rough and ready adaption to western ideas that has caused some to view Thais as somewhat lagging in civilized ways. For me the Thai (old Thai) ways are by far and away more civil and elegant than anything the west has come up with.

Cheers

Coss

I understand that this happens sometimes in Japan where the wife seeks a girlfriend for the husband. I met a guy in this situation in Japan once. While this seems strange to us in the West, I think it arises because of these differences:

the woman's benefit in marriage comes largely from the social status of being a wife, rather than in the West, from the wife's being a kind of permanent lover.

the woman's benefit in marriage is likely not to be threatened by the husband's having a mistress. It seems to be part of the social contract that the husband supports the wife. In some of the large corporations a man who divorces his wife will lose his job.

So, in some societies where status, role and feelings are separated more than currently in the West, it may become more acceptable to have multiple relationships without threatening everyone's investment.

Khun Pad Thai

[color:"red"] can you send me a copy of that magazine please. that might help me to convince the missus that it is perfectly normal and natural to find me a proper mia noi, which to have, i think, is obligatory for my status and age, and for further social and cultural advancement. [/color]

I don't think any article will suffice for your wife at this time.

However it is the magazine (sakulthai) of the 1st week of this month, you should be able to find a copy in a library, the article is "NamPung Paa". Please be reminded, not a "mia noi" in this case.

Jasmine

much obliged. :D

i will try to reason that due to age factor i am not really looking for a new wife, and put importance on the cultural factor that not just new wifes appear to be found that way but concubines as well.

i think i start getting reeeaaal deep now into thai culture... ::

flyonzewall said:

much obliged. :D

i will try to reason that due to age factor i am not really looking for a new wife, and put importance on the cultural factor that not just new wifes appear to be found that way but concubines as well.

i think i start getting reeeaaal deep now into thai culture... ::

You are in for a big time slap Fly :neener:

jasmine,

This sounds to me like good justification for a middle-aged man to marry a woman many years his junior, and helps to explain what seems to be the norm.

In this case, the marital situation is outside the norm and I think that the wife is being very considerate of her husband.

Grabii

jasmine said:

Reference: Sakul Thai Magazine of the month August 2004.

A wife of 60 years of age wrote to a column similar to ?Ann Landers? saying that she had been married for 24 years to a man who is 8 years younger. They have had successful business, the husband is faithful and a very good father and husband.

The problem is that she wants to retire from work and being a wife in order to enter a nun-hood. However, she feels that her husband needs a woman who can be a sexual partner and takes care of other needs so she asked the columnist to advertise for a wife in the age between 30-45. The husband wants her to find a woman for him.

The columnist replies that, it is not like ?old Thailand?, which a wife can look for the concubines for the husband. She suggested that the wife practiced ?Metta? which can mean kindness and understanding and to bind her time until all obligations are complete. The columnist also states that the idea of getting a woman for men should be re-evaluated because it is no longer right to just using another woman. :D

I am aware that in the ?old Thailand? many wives did this, some willingly, some were forced to. I told my mother about it and she said that a neighbor (a few house down the road) did just that and everyone is happy, they hired a very nice Isaan woman of the 38 yrs. old. She also said that many women due to hormones change and so on get tired of being a wife and do want to retire. (now I understand this) :o

This sounds strange to the people like me who has time in the West more than in Thailand, does it sound strange to any of you?

Jasmine

Archived