Conned by Thai Bride

Boo Radley

Came across the following story on another website:

Conned by my Thai Bride Wed 22 July 2004

A Wolverton butcher has told how his dream of marrying a Thai bride turned into a nightmare ? just like Coronation Street butcher Fred Elliott!

"I feel such a fool," said 46-year-old Robert Memery, who ended up divorced, homeless and penniless after fighting in vain through the Thai courts to get back his life savings.

The single dad, who brought up three sons alone, decided to travel to Thailand four years ago to find a woman to marry.

He met massage girl Kaew at his hotel ? and within weeks the pair were married.

"I really thought it was love at first sight. She was very pretty and she lavished attention on me all the time.

"As a single parent I hadn't had anyone pay attention to me or care about me for years so I lapped it up.

"Looking back, I was just being really stupid and desperate."

Family

Robert brought his bride (pictured above) proudly back to England to live in his Haversham home and meet his family and friends.

"She was a brilliant

actress and convinced everyone she was in love with me. Everyone loved her too."

But gradually the cracks started to show and Robert caught his new wife telling lies about her family and background.

Nevertheless, after two years, when she complained that England was too cold for her, he agreed to sell his house and move back to Thailand with her.

Here the pair invested Robert's money in properties but because of Thai law, Kaew insisted the finances had to be in her name.

"It was still OK, though. I knew my wife sometimes said things that were not true but we lived reasonably happily together, sharing our home with her brother-in-law and her niece.

The bombshell came last November when Robert discovered the brother-in-law and nine-year-old niece were, in fact, Kaew's husband and daughter.

"I couldn't believe I had been sharing a house with my wife's husband for all that time without knowing it," he said.

Robert then discovered a whole web of lies ? including the fact that the woman his wife introduced as her sister had in fact been a paid

actress.

Threatening

Matters came to a head shortly afterwards when he says the previously loving and dutiful Kaew turned threatening, abusive and even violent. Within weeks the couple divorced.

Robert returned to England without a penny to his name and is now is staying with his son in Wolverton while desperately seeking work.

"I feel sad, of course, but most of all I feel foolish that I was taken in by such a con- woman," he said.

"My dream marriage ended in disaster and I just want to warn other lonely men out there not be

deceived as I was.

"A roof over your head and a job are more important than a beautiful foreign bride."

Link and pics:

http://www.miltonkeynestoday.co.uk/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=415&ArticleID=826695

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like a repetition of an identical story from 2 years ago that somebody posted on the board.

The previous guy was selling it for money, allowing his and woman's pictures to be published.

Baring his foolishness in public the guy was earning for a living.

This time it's in a local newspapers - Milton Keyness (what a nowhere place, been there).

Hi Boo Radley,

Wow, that certainly was a longterm scheme, pretending to be a loving wife for 2 years! and hoping to cash in at the end.

Living with thai husband and child, pretending there were her brother-in-law and her niece :banghead:

So she was selling herself and the thai husband pimping.

What fine role models for their 9 year old girl. :(

fighting in vain through the Thai courts to get back his life savings

I have an acquaintance going through a similar scenario right now. But he has had big basking warning flags posted every step of the way but ignoring every single one of them.

Totally out of pedagogically reach.

Cheers

Hua Nguu

Archived