Sir Elton hates Taiwan. So there.

chuckwoww

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

>>>They are certainly expansive in history, just look at Tibet. You don't think China got their territories peacefully, do you? <<<

that opens a pandora's box. ;)

the chinese have a point there though - they have never accepted the tibetan declaration of independence from china (which was more a declaration by lhasa, which was far from representing "tibet"), i think that was 1911. they were just until the invasion a bit too busy fighting their civil war, the japanese, the civil war again, and then sorting out the first years of the revolution. also, lots of tibetan fiefdoms have not accepted the independence as well, mainly because taxation of lhasa was far higher, and the prefered to stay semi independent feudal fiefdoms with only a nominal overlordship, in that case they preferred china - it was further away.

i hope i did not step into the shit here, as the tibet issue does invoce lots of heavy emotions (unfortunately mainly fuelled again by propaganda of both sides), and discussing tibet is gonna be fucking endless...

I was listening to the Goodbye Yellow Brick Road album the other day, and it's not half bad

A glowing endorsement, indeed, from a man with your taste in avatars, FJ ::

Whilst we are on the subject of music, am I the only one who is moved to tears with each new cover of an old hit which assails my ears from commercial radio ? I know its a long-standing practice in an industry which is all about flogging dead horses, but it just seems to have become so much more prevalent over the last 5 or so years, and they dont even wait for the original artist to die (!) before rolling out the cover .....

Lots of opinions of Taiwan... Was first there over 20 years ago and at the time was lightyears ahead of the mainland. Things have changed, mostly on the mainland. I won't get into political history, I have my own opinions, not sure it's important.

Elton John is a petulant, spoiled prick. He wasn't treated like the grande dame he thinks he is and had a public snit. It has nothing to do with Taiwan, a wonderful place IMO, or with Chinese, but much more to do with the English.

Fly, In fact Taiwan gets a lot of hits by natural disasters, they have a huge problem between the "Aboriginals" the original Chinese Taiwanese and the Chinese KMT who came along in 46 and stole everything.

I thinkg the mistake here is calling them Chinese Chinese, Taiwanese Chinese etc,.

Chinese all over the world, always seem to do very well, look who owns everything in Thailand, would like to in Indnesia and Malaysia!

Still making inroads in Vietnam regardless of the war there, and have quietly held onto Laos (Complete with a Chinese school's and churchs - not the "China" type, but the internationalist Chinese type.

Doesn;t mean I like them or what they do, but I respect them for it.

DOG

>>>>I thinkg the mistake here is calling them Chinese Chinese, Taiwanese Chinese etc,.

Chinese all over the world, always seem to do very well, look who owns everything in Thailand, would like to in Indnesia and Malaysia!<<<

can't really agree with that statement, mate.

the chinese who are known to do well all over the world are southern chinese, mainly from guanzhou and fujien province, and out of that the vast majority are from a few valleys in shantou district.

northern chinese never have emigrated, even now, in the present wave of emigration it still is mainly the same old southern people and some from zeijang province.

i am not sure about the demographics in taiwan, but i guess that most taiwanese also descend from the southern provinces, where the KMT had their main bastions, and support. it all even started for them in guangdong.

"that opens a pandora's box.

the chinese have a point there though - they have never accepted the tibetan declaration of independence from china (which was more a declaration by lhasa, which was far from representing "tibet"), i think that was 1911. they were just until the invasion a bit too busy fighting their civil war, the japanese, the civil war again, and then sorting out the first years of the revolution. also, lots of tibetan fiefdoms have not accepted the independence as well, mainly because taxation of lhasa was far higher, and the prefered to stay semi independent feudal fiefdoms with only a nominal overlordship, in that case they preferred china - it was further away.

i hope i did not step into the shit here, as the tibet issue does invoce lots of heavy emotions (unfortunately mainly fuelled again by propaganda of both sides), and discussing tibet is gonna be fucking endless... "

................................................................................

Nah Fly, I have listened to my wife.. She is not fond of the Chinese and point to Viet history to support it. I do not know a lot about Tibet, am not qualified there. I am sure what you write is more correct than what views I have of Tibet.

Its enough In Viet Nams history to back up my wife's view, and you bet I will not go vs. her. The reason Viet Nam is today, is because of stubborn Viets. You think your wife is stubborn and hot tempered :o Viet girls are MOST stubborn and far more angry when they blow off, believe me.

Cheers! (CBK trying to win with hot temper wife arguement)

gots lots of chinese friends, met lots of real arseholes. like anywhere. ;)

lotsa people in laos and cambodia don't like the vietnamese for the same reason as the vietnamese dislike the chinese. and of course they also don't like the thais. who don't like the burmese.

all fucking idiots! ;)

exceptions of course are the wifes ::, they are always right. :o:p

Archived