Sir Elton hates Taiwan. So there.

chuckwoww

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't heard from mine for several years. I spent quite a bit of time (in another incarnation) working for a group of Taiwanese investors. That's where I met her. Very wealthy family. She used to get free flights on China Airways. She would just show up on my doorstep. Scared me to death. I hope everybody finds this interesting. :)

gummigut said:

He's the guy who lost against the rising tide of the communists...

Kind of amazing how far Taiwan has come given what it started with, but then again, the educated went to Taiwan. The families of any intellectuals that stayed behind were billed the cost of the bullet! :(

<<burp>>

s'cuse me!

the kuo minh tang, assorted warlords and the dependents and followers went to taiwan. has nothing to do with "education". lotsa educated were on the side of the communists as well. those days have not seen yet the madness of the great leap forward, the mao cult and the cultural revolution.

and given the educational status of the kou minh tang leadership, especially chiang kai check, i would be careful whom you deem there as "intellectual" and whom not.

and the blanket statement "billed with a bullet" smells a bit of propaganda which cannot stand by itself. even in the worst cleansenings the amount of victims was surprisingly low compared to for example during the stalinist cleansenings. don't get me wrong, i am not defending what happened, just try to give a bit of a realistic picture. the high amount of victims under mao was mainly due to the great leap forward, which was not a political cleansening but a horrific mistake of planned economy.

chiang kai checks record of massakers during his reign in china, and even during his reign in taiwan is in no way better than mao's. i hope you read one day the excellent biography of chiang kai check by jonathan fenby.

"billing the bullet" is for anyone who receives the deathsentence, including drugdealers etc., and given that for example the US has many states which do have the deathpenalty i do not think that this practise is any worse than the deathpenalty itself. which i do abhor, regardless where it is performed.

and personally, i do not find it amazing in any way how far taiwan went given the huge assistence given by the US. it is rather amazing though how far mainland china went, only with a brief assistence of a war ravaged sovietunion caught up in the madness of stalin until they have had a bit of a fall out. and given that the mainland had from the beginning not much of an industry and infrastructure to start off with, and the little that was there in manchuria and the foreign concessions was destroyed during the years of the civil war until the communist victory, it is rather something that they have achieved the state of industrialisation they are in now in only a bit more than 50 years.

The rise of Taiwan can actually be traced back to the Reagan years.

Most of the guys I work/worked with where Taiwanese working on projects such as the original Star Wars going imaging software, NSA projects (Which didn;t officiallt exist then)

Then one day Reagun brought in new bills, most likely to appease China, that made being Taiwanese very difficult in USA..

The KMT through its bank (yeah - it "Only" owned 12% hhahahaha) CDC China Development Fund, VC's all these incredably brialliant young Taiwanese guys to come back and open up all the high tech companies we now see.

This was the real spurt. Before that the most high tech was a Barbie Doll plant owned by Mattell!

The young brainiacs had access to huge amounts of $$$, but they also had a taste for democrasy, and led a lot of the aggitation, financially, that led to the opening of Taiwanese society.

The KMT still don't control the CDC (hahaha) and still do a lot of VC funding.

The other large growth was throught the petrol/plastic growth a bit earlier (see Barbie above) but that benifitted mostly one family.

Some of the smartest people I know have come from Taiwan, visionaries, but its a country that when I first saw it, I thoguht of that monty python moive, that begins with a cartoon, and the "London Banks Clerks" all in their buildings break away from eachother and become priates.

it is a land of no loyality except to the dollar and then the comany and then Taiwan.'

In many ways Thailand is the most nationalistic country I will ever see, Tainwan the opposite, regardless what you hear the politicians say.

I know that because I was a Aussie working for the - a funny position I know.

DOG

so far i have never been in taiwan yet, and strangely, i have never had any particular urge to go there. lots of chinese, and malay chinese friends of mine have no particular love for taiwan.

i have to say though that the loyality to the $$$ characterises lots of taiwanese i have met. ;)

interesting is also, before the economic surge of taiwan, the connection of the taiwanese KMT and the KMT remnants in the golden triangle, and we know their business..., especially after they gave up the pretense of a "political" struggle after having defeated badly in their one and only incursion into yunnan.

ah,... the good old days...

Archived