Chat thai party?

thai3

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

fly,

I agree with your synopsis and I believe that it applies to most of the Thai political parties (not sure about the Democrat party). Thai political parties are based not on political beliefs, but on a charasmatic and generally powerful and power-hungry individual. Few of them do well following the death or retirement of the party founder.

Grabii

flyonzewall said:

chat thai party has like most other parties here no, or only very flexible policies, which can be changed at any moment of time according to from where the wind blows. at the moment chat thai is in the opposition.

chat thai is mainly a one man show, run and dominated by once short time prime minister banharn silapacha, an old style godfather of banhanbu...err, "suphan"buri.

his reign was signified by the most hilarious blunders in recent thai political history.

Peter,

I think that having a degree to be an MP is a requirement of the new constitution. I seem to remember more than a few of the old-line powerful MP's futures coming into question over this a few years ago, some making dubious claims of education that would make them qualified and political enemies questioning the validity of their opponents credentials.

Grabii

thai3 said:

Thats what it said in the nation, they want her to attract the Issan vote. Do they have to have a degree to stand as an MP? seems unlikely-peter

• 2 weeks later...
check_bin_krap said:

They used to be popular among farmers in Isaan, and the late PM Chatchai Chunhawan is the one the party name comes from I think (anyone please correct me if I am wrong). He was overthrown in a military coup in the start of the 90's. A very turbulent period. The reason given by the military to kick him out was corruption. He put a lot of emphasis on trade, and worked to make Thailand a force in the region. Was a general as many of the Thai politicians are. He was known as a playboy in his younger years.

just as a side note; Chatchai was leader of Chart Phattana not Chat Thai. now "merged" or better sucked up by TRT; the only MP opposing that was Chatchai's son, who has quite a bit a different understanding than his father and his cousins, who run Chart Phattana during recent years

samak said:

just as a side note; Chatchai was leader of Chart Phattana not Chat Thai. now "merged" or better sucked up by TRT; the only MP opposing that was Chatchai's son, who has quite a bit a different understanding than his father and his cousins, who run Chart Phattana during recent years

Yep Samak, I wondered if I was wrong in my assumption. Thanks for the correction!

Cheers!

Archived