Is Thai food booming where you live outside LOS

Guest baldrick

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OCgringo wrote: I think they have been here in Southern California for a long time..<snip>...

Southern Calif., actually Los Angeles has the largest Thai population in America, estimated somewhere around

250-300,000 Thai's. "Thai Town" has markets laden with Thai and Asian food products and of course many restaurants. Yet, all over So. Calif, there are many Thai restaurants but like any cuisine, not all offer genuine Thai food. You might go to a Thai restaurant only to find it's run by Chinese or Vietnamese and not a Thai in sight. Here often the food less than real Thai!

But no matter at what L. A. Thai restaurant you might dine, all have prices that would make the owner a Bangkok food stall green with envy! Huh? $10-US for Gaprow gai lat khao??

Old Hippie, one way to see if it's any good iis ask for "Larb Gai" or moo or what evver, and also "Koa Neo"

If they have either it is useually a good sign. Interesting point, a mate of mine, Thai Chap, has owned three restaurants. He admits the food is "Australianised" unless he knows the person ordering.

So I asked him one day, if you have a great cheif, and get the ingrediants in Australia, or Thailand, which is better.

He thought Australia (We grow all the thai food stuff) was a better source of ingrediants compered to Thailand.

DOG

Guest lazyphil

Thai food is not in the league of South Asian cuisine in the UK in terms of volume of eateries (its the most popular eating out food in the UK I believe?...something to do with our colonial power there I think ::), that said Thai food is on the up and up, pub/restaurants are springing up everywhere (theres even a place that serves genuine Issan food not so far away and its good stuff) and people are responding with gusto, my Mrs pub/restaurant is turning out a lot of meals (up to 115 meals on Fri/Sat), now its so busy they have agreed to cook on Sundays, she cooks every other Sunday now (higher pay rate of course :D)...Sea Bass is a big hit right now. Applying for the Mrs provisional drivers UK licence very soon to save me taking her to and from work, another woman driver to deal with ::

Ah, good to hear that your Mrs is getting a drivers license Phil. On Thai food, I have to disappoint you. Has nothing to do with Britain ruling the waves. Its huge here in Norway also, and its a long time since we invaded anywhere.

I have been to only 1 Thai resturant in Oslo, was married to a Thai cook so thats a better place to go when I want Thai food. She also does catering for Thai embassy at times.

Cheers!

Archived