Bangkok's Most Romantic Restaurant

frogpatrol

Well, with yet another anniversary coming up, what better place to search for ideas for romantic restaurants than here, right? :clown:

Subway, Pizza Hut, and KFC left aside for the moment, do you have any suggestions for romantic culinary spots in BKK?

The following are good choices, but are out for me for this year b/c we have been there on various occasions.

Banyan Tree (rooftop). Costly, but nice.

Sirocco (State Tower). Also high in the sky, but saving this for drinks after.

Salathip. Romantic, but food very bland.

Oriental's riverside place across the river from the hotel. Very nice.

MahaNaga. Once trendy and still stylish, but did that last year.

Italian place at the 4 Seasons (Regent). Great food. Pretty fish to look at.

So, those are out for me, though many are decent choices on their own.

Any ideas about what might be good spots? Someone mentioned Blue Elephant to me. Don't know a thing about it. How about the Peninsula just across the river? They must have something nice, right?

Thanks.

froggo

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well, it depends what you consider romantic. Biscotti at 4Seasons is not very romantic for me, though the food is excellent. Angelini and Rossini are more romantic italian restaurants IMO.

other "romantic" restaurants with a nice environment are:

Supatra riverhouse

dinner cruises on Chao Phaya river

the 3 restaurants of Baan Khanita

Le Cafe Siam

Le Dalat Indochine

Ana Garden (thonglor)

thanying (silom)

to name a few

I'm not an expert on romantic eateries in Bangkok but I would avoid the river cruises. the setting can be good but watch the weather. Also, the food is very poor, akin to a Thai buffet.

The only good cruise for food I know is the Marriot Resort and Spa's Manora rice barge which has 4 berths and cruises to Ayutthaya with overnight stops. Great food, sipping cocktails on the sun deck, but a little expensive.

I do like Salathip at the Shangri-La as well and Baan Kanitha has always served up great food. I am too scared of heights to try the rooftop one at the banyan Tree in Silom.

samak said:

yep, Rossini can get very crowded on friday and saturday when the thai HiSo's flock in.

better go on a weekday

but nice interior with natural stone walls and the food is excellent, one of the best italian in town (and there are now so many!)

I was there midweek on a tuesday :( :( :(

But yes, food was tip top, 5 of us, bill was 16K Bt :p (I was a guest)

BB

Thanks for suggestions. I'll give all of them a try.

As it turned out, we went to Blue Elephant for dinner and followed with drinks at State Tower high up in the sky.

As for Blue Elephant, the food was absolutely top drawer. My wife loves her Thai food, and she was duly impressed. The atmosphere I thought nicely balanced classic, intimate, homeiness, and a bit of toursit chic quite well. Maybe not classically romantic, but the choice turned out to be a good one.

As for State Tower and drinks, the 'feel' there seemed much more posey and hi-so than Vertigo. But being closer to the river, some of the views were more dramatic. All in all, each of the sky restaurants/bars are good in their own right, but of those two, I prefer Vertigo.

Thanks again. The night went well. Keep the replies coming!

Archived