Pattaya to close at 1 am

eyebee

This is not good. Damn, while I just figured I would skip Bangkok, now Pattaya is being affected. For anyone who does Marine Plaza, Marine Plaza II, JP Bar and or Boom, what are these establishments doing? These are typical late night establishments who thrive on the after 2 AM crowd. How are they faring and what are the peak hours at these establishments?

Thanks

Oneye

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you are talking about the total number of bars, pubs, discos, etc. in BKK then maybe yes. But I?m not so sure if you restrict your count to the three major farang nightlife areas. What happened to Clinton Plaza and the bar stretch demolished near soi 10? And how about the Cowboy and NEP bars closed down regularly by police (most are temporary but closures are now regular).

Just make a bar run to these areas and tell me many are not in jeopardy of closing down due to lack of business? After a look see, consider what would happen should the operating hours be restricted to 9 pm till midnight?

Your last question gets to the core of the issue because the answer is quite obviously nearly all of them would have to close. I cannot imagine how any bar could survive if restricted to those hours of operation.

In actual practice, we see a muddled compromise, where bars open earlier and often, but not always, stay open until 1 am. Like I said, I really don't know what the government is trying to acheive.

I do think it will be bad for the tourism business if it continues. People will continue to come here because of memories of good times past, but as the current reality begins to sink in, that will change. I was out last night, and NEP was much more quiet than I would expect it to be on a Friday evening this time of the year. Maybe the decline is already setting in. :dunno:

"Don't lose it." Yes, sage advice to be sure. However, there ARE those on this board, not myself, who occasionally, if not habitually, greet the dawning of a new day in the gutter, lying in a pool of their own puke. They might be in trouble, passport-missing-wise, that is.

Ah, the Fiery Jack syndrome.

Jack solved his worries by getting one of those pierced cock rings done by his favoriteTattoo artist opposite Soi 7 Beergarten. Then attaching his passport to the ring with a piece of plastic wire from a takeaway stand.

No lost passports for our resouceful Khun Jack. :bow::applause:

?I do think it will be bad for the tourism business if it continues. People will continue to come here because of memories of good times past, but as the current reality begins to sink in, that will change. I was out last night, and NEP was much more quiet than I would expect it to be on a Friday evening this time of the year. Maybe the decline is already setting in.?

No question about it, 9 pm to midnight operating hours would drive virtually all the bars out of business and devastate the sex tourist industy? hmmm.

When I was there a couple months ago I also noticed a decline in business even when taking into account the time of year it was. What I found more disturbing was that something else seemed to be missing. Even in the bars I visited that had ample customers the atmosphere seemed somewhat subdued with the sanuk or fun factor noticeably diminished. Not that I didn?t have some good nights out, but it?s obvious most gogos are not the fun spots they once were. You can see it in the girl?s attitudes.

At first I thought it was just me as I was not functioning 100 percent since I was recovering from some surgery performed just a week prior to my arrival. But looking back and reading reports from others mentioning the same or similar observations has convinced me it was not my mindset but reality.

I will be back in late December and will reevaluate things at that time. You may be correct in that the decline may already be setting in. Keep in mind though there are other factors in play here such as high airfares, the diminished value of the US dollar and the threat of terrorist activity around the globe hasn?t helped tourism either.

The bottom line at the end of high season should prove very interesting in making or breaking policy, and could have a major impact on the upcoming election.

ST

Word from a few bar owners and punters in Pattaya now is 1 am Go-Go closings will continue for a few more days as a show of face.

Many bars on Soi 2, 7, 8, etc, were all open last night to 4 a.m and beyond.

Just remember to bring your torch or a candle, which could be more multi-functional. :D

When I was there a couple months ago I also noticed a decline in business even when taking into account the time of year it was. What I found more disturbing was that something else seemed to be missing. Even in the bars I visited that had ample customers the atmosphere seemed somewhat subdued with the sanuk or fun factor noticeably diminished. Not that I didn?t have some good nights out, but it?s obvious most gogos are not the fun spots they once were.
I know that fun factor feeling; it is noticeably diminshed in Bangkok. Now I look forward to long weekend get-aways to Pattaya when I get the chance. Coming from Bangkok, Pattaya certainly had more of that old feeling. I'd hate to see that lost in Pattaya as well.

OK, once again. Not all bars are not closing at 1am. We're 2am at the moment. I understand that JP bar has been closed for 30 days from about last week.
Perhaps a dumb question, but you are referring to Pattaya, right? I was referring to Bangkok (where I live), but since this is a Pattaya thread I think you justifiably thought I was talking about Pattaya when I mentioned 1 am closing. I should have been clearer.

Archived