Is it Really Worth Making a Trip to Bangkok Now?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Times change and so do people. Thailand is in a major upheaval which means almost anything can happen. Gadfly's post are timely and round out the conversations. Sudam looks from a different viewpoint which says fun can be still had but you have to look for it. What I say is watch over your shoulder because the hammer may be coming down on you. Put all three different parts of the picture together and you get a better idea of what is going on.

Fly

I think you make a good point about the increase in violence in Thailand.

Before i came to Thailand last month the Thail gals in Bahrain warned me to be very careful about my personal safety.

I responded by saying i had been Thailand many many times and was not concerned about my safety.

They responded by saying that Thailand was not the same anymore that it had changed and it was much more dangerous.

So it seems that the average Thai is aware of the changing security situation although as you have pointed out in the tourist orientated venues we are in a bit of a bubble and thus do not see what is really going on.

Anyway, I find your stance quite arrogant which only shows me that LOS - concerning party - might not be the country for a common traveller like me anymore. If you need to learn the language and frequent trips to BKK to find places which are open after midnight I think this country might be only for suited for insiders in the future.

I only want to have some fun in my holiday, since I am working extremely hard at home and I am only looking for a place where I can party a little bit longer than midnight.

You make an excellent point, and you are in the right position to make it since your situation is exactly the same as virtually everyone else who visits here (they aren't experts on Thailand), and this is why these changes will be bad for tourism, and why I posed a question about visiting Thailand. Thank you.

Having said that, I enjoy reading all of your posts because I absolutely agree with what you are saying. I don't see your posts as so much judgemental as simply telling it like it is. I don't think anyone can dispute your writings.
Thank you. I am glad to hear that even those who incorrectly characterize me as the voice of ?gloom and doom re BKK nightlife? acknowledge that I am telling it like it is. Unfortunately, there are a few members here who recently and vehemently disagreed with my factual description of nightlife scene (not you); said I was not "simply telling it like it is." I think that factual dispute has dissipated because it is much harder now to take the position that Bangkok is still open and maintain your credibility as more people visit here and see how much Bangkok has actually changed.

I also appreciate that people have different tastes, and that the longer you are here, the more your tastes are likely to change. But the biggest changes affect all of Thailand; not just the Farang p4p scene. There is a bigger story here; more about that below.

since you became a member and poster on this board 90% or more of your posts have been same-o, same-o. If not in a thread you started, then, the same stuff in another's thread. You have certainly established yourself as the voice of doom and gloom re BKK nightlife on this board.
This is demonstrably wrong for a very simple reason: I posted very little about the nightlife in the beginning. My earlier posts probably seemed negative, were pessimistic, and led to some very contentious arguments, but they were not about changes in the nightlife. They were about the then new government (the one now), and what I thought of its policies and where it was taking the country.

My comments were primarily about Thai politics back when we could post here about Thai politics (and I understand why KS has no choice but to ban overtly political discussions here now). I expressed my fear that a government with such a strong intervenionist agenda when it came to economic issues would naturally tend to be authoritarian. Others vehemently disagreed with my assessment and the analysis that supported it. I guess I turned out to be wrong on that one, right?

You refer to the underlying theme of my posts, my post "since became a member", so let's go back a few years to those posts of yesteryear. My posts were pessimistic and controversial - you are certainly right about that - but very few of those posts had anything to do with showing, closing times or Bangkok's nightlife at all. They were about policies and trends I saw as potentially very dangerous long before the New Social Order became actual policy. And I think it is obvious now that there is a connection between what I was posting about then and what is happening now in Thailand, and in that sense you are absolutely right.

keith doug said:

Hiya Sarisin ... i noticed on a previous thread you mention "You have moved on "... but i wonder have u really!!!

I know you like to visit Goldfingers... so is that moving on!!...

Just an observation and is meant in a nice way .. before you have a go .... regards kdoug....

Hi Keith,

All I can say is three visits to BKK gogo bars since April. I would say that qualifies as 'moving on.' When I first came to BKK in '95 I went out EVERY night. Then, when it started interfering with me staying awake at work (priorities, priorities, etc.), I limited myself to Friday, Saturday and nights before holidays. Soon, it was just Saturday nights (Friday was date nights).

Now, it is down to just going out whenever a good friend is in town and "twists" my arm to go to the bars. Honestly, even this case I prefer to have dinner with my friends (I still love dining out in BKK) and then calling it an evening.

So, yes, I would call it moving on or a change in my lifestyle, if you will. Some of it is external (the changing nightlife scene including some of the things Gadfly mentions), but some is internal with changes in my personal life as well. The main thing here is having a live-in Thai girlfriend. I would just rather spend time with her than paying inflated beer prices, sucking in others' cigarette smoke and gaining hearing loss. :) Let's face it, for most (me included in the past) the MAIN reason of going to the bars is the ladies, and I just am not interested in them when I got a good one back home.

Not to be judgemental at all on anyone else, but I just have the feeling "been there, done that" when it comes to the nightlife scene in BKK. ::

So, what am I doing here even reading a Nightlife Forum on this board? Well, once a week or so, I still enjoy reading when the guys have to write. However, the desire to go out to the bars has dried up.

Enjoy Goldfingers and try not to be overwhelmed by the beauty on stage. :o

:shhh: The early closing times should blow out the financial resources of the present bar owners and their managers. After that, when the nightlife spots are bankcrupt, then the Government will re-open the night spots under the new ownership from "good friends".

After a short while, the early closing times will change back to 3 .a.m. :shhh:

This is what i heard yesterday in my hometown from a (thai) restaurant/bar-owner. ::

Thanks Sarisin ,,, wooo,, you were actually nice to me haaa... seriously having READ THE Bangkok Post (WEB|) DATED 10 NOVEMBER AM STILL DAM CONFUSED AS TO WHAT TIME GOLDFINGERS CLOSES ..Well its inside the zone so would have thought 2 am ... and nana outside the zone is it middnight or 1am !!

UMMMM... regards k doug

Archived