Is it Really Worth Making a Trip to Bangkok Now?

Gadfly1 said:The issue is Bangkok, how it has changed, and what we think of it. I think Bibblies sums it well: there is no denying that it has changed, and for the worse.
Dude, you seem to have it stuck in yer head that those of use who laugh at your posts are denying that Bangkok has changed (kinda like Neo-Cons calling me unpatriotic if I dare critize the Shrub). We are not. Bangkok is constantly evolving. The same stuff available in 1999 is available now if you look for it. Here's a hint: you ain't gonna find it in NEP for various reasons not worth going into here.

I am glad that things are being forced more underground again. It is embarassing to be walking down the street, in a suit, with a client, to a meeting on Asoke near Sukhumvit and have all these whores calling out to us at 3PM as we walk from the BTS stop. Wrong time, wrong place, baaadddd impression! So I do NOT agree that it is for the worse.

Cheers,

SD

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gadfly1 said:The issue is Bangkok, how it has changed, and what we think of it. I think Bibblies sums it well: there is no denying that it has changed, and for the worse.

Bangkok has been in a state of flux for as many years as I have been comming here, it is constantly changing and you need to adapt with it. I've had some of the best times recently, it's all still there if you seek it out. My only dissapointment is the passing of Thermae, it should be restored to its former glory, it was a national treasure, a world heritage icon of sleaze. RIP ::

Mentors said:

So back many years ago when showing was not the norm was the nightlife in BKK not worth coming for?

---

After the 1976 coup when there was a hard midnight closing time and no showing (other than bikinis), there was still a very active scene in Bangkok. Having said that, going into the Dollhouse in Clinton Plaza in Nov 2000 and seeing a colony of nudists take the stage was a most pleasant surprise. :clown:

suadum said:

I am glad that things are being forced more underground again. It is embarassing to be walking down the street, in a suit, with a client, to a meeting on Asoke near Sukhumvit and have all these whores calling out to us at 3PM as we walk from the BTS stop. Wrong time, wrong place, baaadddd impression! So I do NOT agree that it is for the worse.

Cheers,

SD

Yeah, Bangkok for insiders. Thank you. Unknowlegdeable tourists like me will surely gain from this. :: Your statements are ignoring completely the common tourist who doesn't speak the language and relies on information on boards like this one. Up to know I haven't found any advice where to go instead in the net. Your slogan seems to be: "Bangkok for (s)expats!"

And I understand that it is embarrassing for to walk along Suk with a business partner since all the girls call you by your name. :grinyes::cover:

Nobody can predict the future, but I cant see the early closing times lasting much longer...Now that the crackdown isnt limited, the problem is in everybodys backyard so to speak
I hope you are right. I thought that about two years ago, but I hadn't seen the change back to the way things were that I hoped for. Still, I agree with the logic in your position, and I am inclined to agree, if only because I want that outcome.

Yeah, Bangkok for insiders. Thank you. Unknowlegdeable tourists like me will surely gain from this. Your statements are ignoring completely the common tourist who doesn't speak the language and relies on information on boards like this one. Up to know I haven't found any advice where to go instead in the net.
Not just tourists; I have lived here for 10 years.

My biggest complaint, and the complaint I hear the most from Thais, is about the early closing times. I like the Soi Thonglor venues - hardly sex-pat only venues - and those also close early now.

There was an after hours place near Asoke and Pechburi, but I thought it was pretty skanky, I am not sure if it is still available and it was so skanky I am not sure if I care. What I miss are later closing times for places such as Lucifers, Q Bar, the upstairs King's discos on Patpong - those sorts of places.

I can't imagine how earlier closing times (serious talk of midnight now) will rid Bangkok of the "embarasment [of] walking down the street, in a suit, with a client, to a meeting on Asoke near Sukhumvit and have all these whores calling out to us at 3pm as we walk from the BTS stop." I can't see how allowing discos and clubs, such as Club Mystique or CM2, to stay open later will cause or in anyway contribute to 3 pm catcalls from street hookers on Sukhumvit. Indeed, earlier closing will only push the p4p scene on the street and make it more visible, and that is what we are seeing now. It is less fun and uglier.

people should face it that the happy go easy bangkok has gone, and will most likely not return, ever. the innocence was lost in '97. bangkok has moved on.

who remembers the boom years, illusionary as they were? money was around, and people were not scared spending it. nothing beat that athmosphere.

during the crash a rude awakening came, and within a year most of my friends have left bangkok, and so did the athmosphere. everything after the crash was just trying too keep it going. there were pockets of the old fun left, but it was not the same. people had not anymore the postitive stupor they had before, and massive amount of amphetamines have replaced the real fun.

what happens now with the nightlife is just somewhat a little part of the bigger picture of change.

people here are not naively stupid anymore that things will go up - people know that things will get a lot worse here before it might get better.

behind the bright lights of the bars bangkok is slowly morphing into a violent as fuck megalopolis. just wait and see - now it is mainly in the suburbs, while the little pockets of farang nightlife are highly protected by security forces most will hardly ever recognise - but that is in the process of changing as well.

yes, you can still have lots of fun in bangkok, but it does not help to desperately hang on to a happy go lucky bangers that simply is not anymore, even if people prefer that it still is so.

what happens now was forseeable since the crises. and i don't mean just the early closing hours. what really changed town was the slow realisation of what the crises meant for thailand's future.

now, if ones only reason of existing bangkok is the nightlife scene, than i guess there are far better places for that nowadays.

i still though cherish living here, and find those changes utterly fascinating (even though they are not really to my liking).

>>>1992 was hardly a party?<<<

in terms of nightlife it was a minor disturbance, a side noise with hardly any long term effect. it just strengthened the boom, transformed it into its last and most frenetic years.

been there before, been there after.

'97 was the real end of the party.

Archived