Is it Really Worth Making a Trip to Bangkok Now?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well, nothing to be done about it. i often wish i would have had a chance to have been in the shanghai of the 20's. ;)

the later days of the old rome must have been quiet a party as well... ::

kamui said:Yeah, Bangkok for insiders. Thank you. Unknowlegdeable tourists like me will surely gain from this. :: Your statements are ignoring completely the common tourist who doesn't speak the language and relies on information on boards like this one. Up to know I haven't found any advice where to go instead in the net. Your slogan seems to be: "Bangkok for (s)expats!"
If you are a newbie, then NEP/Cowboy will be heaven on Earth. If you are beyond that, then maybe you should develop some Thai language skills or venture away from Soi Nana? Explore. How do you think we find these places to post about? If you really need more hand holding, maybe you want me to shag them for you too? Just a thought. :neener:

But Gagfly continually bitching about things he cannot change is boring. Face it, even with 24h opening times, Bangers non-P4P night scene is lame. You want high end dance clubs and name acts? Go to Hong Kong or Tokyo.

Regards,

SD

suadum said:

I don't hate anybody...

I actually feel sorry for him. He seems to be quite miserable and I hope that he escapes this dreadful place intact.

Of course, he is prolly just winding folks up, given his handle.

Cheers,

SD

I think Gadfly raised important issues. Would you have accetpted being taken for a drug peeing test in a niteclub in the US, where you are not indulging in anything illegal in the first place? Just being there is the reason?

I wouldn't here in Norway.

check_bin_krap said:I think Gadfly raised important issues. Would you have accetpted being taken for a drug peeing test in a niteclub in the US, where you are not indulging in anything illegal in the first place? Just being there is the reason?
Dude, you haven't much say as Thailand IS still a third world country. Ya gotta take the good (cheap fun; next best thing to anarchy) with the bad (lack of civil rights). Apples & oranges.

Cheers,

SD

suadum said:
kamui said:Yeah, Bangkok for insiders. Thank you. Unknowlegdeable tourists like me will surely gain from this. :: Your statements are ignoring completely the common tourist who doesn't speak the language and relies on information on boards like this one. Up to know I haven't found any advice where to go instead in the net. Your slogan seems to be: "Bangkok for (s)expats!"
If you are a newbie, then NEP/Cowboy will be heaven on Earth. If you are beyond that, then maybe you should develop some Thai language skills or venture away from Soi Nana? Explore. How do you think we find these places to post about? If you really need more hand holding, maybe you want me to shag them for you too? Just a thought. :neener:

Regards,

SD

Suadum,

even I am frequent traveller to Asia I am still a kind of newbie in LOS and as far as I forsee the next years I won't become extremely knowledable of the country since I know that I neither will live there nor I do have the time to learn the language, since I am currently extremely preoccupied with learning another more difficult Asian language for professional reasons.

Anyway, I find your stance quite arrogant which only shows me that LOS - concerning party - might not be the country for a common traveller like me anymore. If you need to learn the language and frequent trips to BKK to find places which are open after midnight I think this country might be only for suited for insiders in the future.

I only want to have some fun in my holiday, since I am working extremely hard at home and I am only looking for a place where I can party a little bit longer than midnight. :drunk: Maybe I am overreactiong but I really do not like if some other people try to tell me when I have to go home (this reminds me on the time when I was 14 ::). Actually I cannot think of any other capital I visited in my life in Europe or Asia where it ever this happened to me except BKK (ok, I haven't been in Saudi Arabia or Iran yet :))

On my first trip to LOS, BKK seemed to the ideal combination of the excitement of an Asian megalopolis, culture and party nights with beautiful girls. The third part seems to go down from my own experience and from all the reports in recents weeks on this board.

kamui .......... might I suggest that next time you visit, contact some of the old time sanukers on the board and try to get out for a night with them. We (they) often love to show off their 'hidden' places to like minded mongers. :bow:

flyonzewall said:

people should face it that the happy go easy bangkok has gone, and will most likely not return, ever. the innocence was lost in '97. bangkok has moved on.

Sure it has, and like anyplace else, Bangkok is constantly changing and will never be EXACTLY the same. However, I think it has less to do with the economic crisis than with the goverment's attempt to impose morality. An end to enforced closing times and oppressive drug testing measures would go a long way to bringing Bangkok back to the party destination that it once was or have I missed something? Are we any closer to establishing "family values" here than we were when it all began? ::

>>>or have I missed something? <<<

unfortunately you have. most farang have, and many thais as well.

slowly there has been something very nasty creeping into town here - a huge wave of random violence and crime. so far it has stayed out of farang areas. some suburbs i know have in the last years changed to ganginfested zones where people don't walk after dark if they are not forced to. this cannot be swept under the carpet for much longer anymore, and is still rapidly increasing. even the trend under this government for stronger policing is not helping (has it ever?).

changing the opening hours might have a bit of a positive effect, but i doubt that it will change much in the overall picture. i still rember the days when i could stagger around completely drunk almost anywhere (which i generally did ;) ), i would *not* do that anymore today. in the old days violence was there, but mainly between involved people, if you were not involved you had to do a hard job to be in trouble. not anymore today.

i believe the whole thing goes back a long time, it's roots in the first boom, when values were slowly eroded. it started creeping out after '97, and now, after drugwar, and ridiculous opening hours it bacame only really visible. and present government's ideas of forcing "values" back won't work, IMHO.

how can anyone turn the clock back?

entertainment zones can be policed heavily (which they are), opening hours can be extended to a tolerable level for a big city, but one thing is difficult to change - the circumstances of the people working there. this trend affects thais, and they are not as they were in the old days. people have lost hope, hope which they had during the boom years. the athmosphere of silly and naive happiness and conviction that the future is getting better simply is not present anymore as it was once.

the pre '97 party was based on that athmosphere, and not just on wild sex. the frenetic years of '93 to '97 were dominated by a thought that things have changed for the better - the last coup defeated, money spread around, hope to finally make it into developed nation status. the rude awakening, the end of the illusion came in '97.

now we still suffer from the aftereffects. the thaksin government and its "moral" drive is an aftereffect. somehow a dream to get things back were they were, even tough when things were "good" it was based on an illusion. and there will be many more aftereffects in the years to come.

i hope that the future proves me wrong, but i fear that the indicators are too clear.

flyonzewall said:

yes, you can still have lots of fun in bangkok, but it does not help to desperately hang on to a happy go lucky bangers that simply is not anymore, even if people prefer that it still is so.

now, if ones only reason of existing bangkok is the nightlife scene, than i guess there are far better places for that nowadays.

i still though cherish living here, and find those changes utterly fascinating (even though they are not really to my liking).

Agree 100% with these comments.

Gadfly, since you became a member and poster on this board 90% or more of your posts have been same-o, same-o. If not in a thread you started, then, the same stuff in another's thread. You have certainly established yourself as the voice of doom and gloom re BKK nightlife on this board.

Having said that, I enjoy reading all of your posts because I absolutely agree with what you are saying. I don't see your posts as so much judgemental as simply telling it like it is. I don't think anyone can dispute your writings.

However, my reaction the last year or so to the changes in the scene has been quite different than yours. I have decided I just don't need it anymore. I have found other things to do besides going to the gogo bars, etc. Like fly, I still enjoy living in Thailand, but the nightlife scene is simply not a part of the enjoyment for me any longer. And, yes, some of the very things you mention are reasons. There are others in my case as well, but I just want to tell you here is another long-time expat and nightlife partyman who has had enough of the scene and moved on.

In defense of suadum and ND, those two guys would have big fun in Fallujah. There optimistic views reflect their, ahem, bubbling personalities and their desire to make the best out of any situation. I used to be that way too, but now, I have just decided it is not worth the expense or the effort. There are other things to do I enjoy just as much or more.

Anyway, Gadfly, don't be discouraged by the attacks and so forth. I think the vast majority of list members enjoy your thoughts and writing here.

Archived