Your first beer in Thailand?

Fiery Jack

This inspired :rolleyes: by part of a post of Torrenova's :up: in an earlier thread that went:

"Try to imagine you are on your first trip, not on internet boards about Thailand and you want a beer outside of your hotel. Where do you go?"

I have to hide my blushes and clench my buttocks :o and admit that, arriving in BKK "on business" :hubba: for the first time about 13 years ago and taxi-ing from Don Muang straight to the Siam Square Novotel at midday, I think my first beer (or six :beer:) was probably 10 minutes after midday, at, er, Hard Rock Cafe, Siam Square... :down:

Even worse, I recall getting a tuk-tuk (pre-skytrain days) after that (via a shocked visit to the cash machine, no doubt, given the price of ale at Hard Rock ::) to, wait for it... Khao San Road, :doah: for a few more afternoon jars :beer: and an eyeful of fat-assed unwashed falang women travellers. :nono:

Fortunately, I got gassing with some radioactively drunk old Aussie sex-tourist :drunk: in a beer bar with his current BG squeeze on Khao San, and he soon put me right. :bow: It was into another tuk-tuk and off to Patpong without passing "go" after that and the rest is (my) history. :applause:

(Disclaimer: I had only a vague, hazy notion of the P4P scene in BKK (it's even fucking hazier now, like :drunk:) before my first trip, just heard a few smutty comments in the office and the pub etc. :hubba: There was no internet (at least not in my house) so I only had the finger-wagging, tut-tutting politically correct tourist guides and their mind-numbing righteousness to base my plans on. :( Nowadays, were I to arrive as a newbie in BKK, I'd have been on Nanaplaza :applause: and other boards well beforehand and, upon arriving in the city, would thus be straight to NEP/Soi 7 beergarden like a bonfire night cat with a lit firecracker up its arse. :D)

Anyway, thought it would be an interesting thread. Where did you have your first beer(s) in LOS?

Cheers, :beer:

jack :help:

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi jack,

My first beer in Thailand was in Patpong in April of 2000.

I had come for a job interview and was staying at the Evergreen Hotel on Sathorn Road. The company was in Silom Road. After the formalities, I headed to Patpong for a look around. I had heard of it before, but never been to BK in my life. No "action" involved - just a look around and then back home the next day.

Khwai

Grace hotel lobby in 94....curiously passing through Bangkok for a couple of days on route to bali for a standard dream holiday...

First night at the grace was care of lonely planet and a hat pin stuck in at random...

Quickly realized said hotel was too classy and adjusted digs for the second night...

no internet for me either...I had discovered it all (well nearly all) long before I stated lurking on this board in its pre-delphi incarnation...only question then was ..when would I come and live here...only question is ..will I ever leave?

Actually I am sure I will have to leave because according to Sod's law....

Can't remember the name of the bar. It was in Buckskin Joes Village when it ran along both sides of the railway track by Ploenchit flyover. It was 1981 or 2 and I met a lady who did a pretty good Tina Turner imitation. We got filthy drunk and went to her place by a klong somewhere. I lost a couple of days there. She had a black and white TV I think. :)

My first beer in LOS ? that?s easy enough, 2nd floor NEP 97 in G-Spot. I?ll never forget it because I saw something strange happen while I was drinking it. I was standing near the end of the bar opposite the entrance and being a total newbie was somewhat overwhelmed by this adult wonderland I was experiencing for the first time.

Then I noticed the girl behind the bar filling partially empty Heiniken beer bottles from a large plastic jug full of foamy beer, then loosely cap the bottles and place them in the cooler, ready for the next eh, customer... She looked up and saw that I had observed what she was doing and she was obviously embarrassed, but just kind of nervously smiled at me and went about her business filling more bottles, now in a subdued manner making sure others couldn?t easily see what she was doing.

After witnessing that I assumed I had seen nothing unusual and figured that?s just the way things are done in Thailand. I posted this story here several years ago and from the feedback I got at the time, I don?t think a single person believed me. I don?t give a damn now and didn?t then, I know what I saw and will swear to it on my mothers grave. So there you have it, my first beer in Thailand. :beer:

Cheers,

ST

Late January 1985. Arriving from Hong Kong, the old downtown airport often fogged in. During a two-day delay met a Thai woman on same flight. Shared a taxi into town, my abode the esteemed Malaysia Hotel. She winced as I departed and gave me her number with instructions to call later that night. Escaped onto Rama IV with a pocketful of coin in search of a phone booth. Couldn't master that task and reduced to paper only wandered into what looked like a respectable hotel. Instead, entered my first fishbowl and explained my predicament. "Bia?" I was asked. "Please." After catching my breath, having a look around, sucking down my first Kloster and now armed with a 5-baht coin and advice on how to use it, sauntered to the shiny phone in the corner. "You like Thailand?," she asked. "Yes."

For the life of me I cannot remember my first beer in Thailand. I remember my first in many places in Thailand but not the first in LOS.

I do however remember my last beer in Thailand. It was a couple of weeks at Don Muang. Or were we still in Thai airspace when I had my first one on the plane ?

Archived