Your first beer in Thailand?

Fiery Jack

Big Kev said:

She explained the bar-fine system, but declined my invitation, saying she had to go home to recharge her mobile phone.

Can you freakin' believe that??!! Shut down by bar girl with such a lame excuse!! :: ::

I'll have to remember that one the next time a b/g asks me to pay her fine! :D

My first beer in Thailand was in 1992 in Patpong after a couple of martinis at the Regent Hotel. I have no idea where I was or what I did, except that I do remember taking a girl from Pussy Galore or maybe it was Queen's II, anyway it was an upstairs bar.

I was in Thailand to work on a film as a set dresser and the f/x crew was going out for "some fun" so I tagged along. I arrived back at the hotel at 5 AM with a b/g in tow and when I was informed that she couldn't come up to my room I asked to check out and the security guard relented. (Yes, I was an asshole about it. :()

I was back down in the lobby an hour later to meet the director for a tech scout. After that I worked here drunk for the next 5 months, sleeping only in the van to and from work. ::

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

my first night in BKK.

had read about Patpong and jumped in a taxi and stated where i wanted to go.

dropped off in an area which i now know to be the Japanese area just round the corner.

a tout latched onto me and wouldn't leave me alone and as i was a total newbie and scared of the big City i entered the first Bar i saw(Irish Bar i seem to remember)and had my first ever Singha.

thought i had shaken the Guy off,but as i exited the place he was soon by my side and i eventually relented and let him take me to a MP.

best bit of business he ever did,i was there each Night for the next 4 Nights for my soapie and whatever was offered as extras.......... :hubba:

April 2000 I was staying in KL, Malaysia and needed a visa-run. A local Malay internet cafe manager offered a lift in his Kanchil because he and his wife were visiting his mother-in-law; who lived near the Thailand border.

The following afternoon I was dropped off at the Thai borderpost, got a taxi then to the Stirling Hotel, Betong, unpacked and decided to investigate the town. I wandered around and finished up at a street cafe owned by a Malaysian. During the meal he offered to take me to a friend's place. We entered my very first "barber-shop". Betong has about 50 "barber-shops" dotted around the town all complete with a red and white barber pole outside?

I had my first Singha and was introduced to two lovely ladies. It was explained that either or both would stay with me for the night for just over a 1,000 baht! Always remember him saying ".... just treat her as a pillow". I chose one and took her back to my hotel .......

..... the following morning toothpaste was waiting on my toothbrush! She then folded everything, packed my overnight bag and got me a taxi back to the border-post where I met my friend.

Shortly afterwards I bought a motor bike and during my two year stay in Malaysia I managed about 24 visa-runs to Betong. Hence the John Betong nickname from the Malay-Chinese bikers.

Happy days and one day "I'll be back" when the current trouble subsides and hopefully meet up with some of my biker friends again.

Cheers,

John Betong

Mmmhh,

first beer in thailand, must have been in 1994 at the Maenam hotel. A singha from the mini bar.

At that time I was still a teenager on holiday with the family. Even though I pleaded a lot, my dad wouldnt let us go to the infamous patpong.

Six years later I took him there instead.

Archived