Your first beer in Thailand?

Fiery Jack

FJ,

November 27, 2000. Soi Cowboy, Tilac go go, 1:30 am, Singha, 4 beers later, BF'd my first TG.

Next moring, 9:00am business meeting at Asoke Place 18th floor, I couldn't do the math. The farang and thai bosses looked at me and grinned, "jet lag mai", my response "chai-jet lag krap".

I will never ever forget her for the rest of my life, the coldest beer, on a very hot and humid night on my first night in Bangkok, aroy maak.

Chok dee,

HOKS

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shadow Bar (as it was then still called) on Soi Cowboy, August 96.

I was on a backpacking holiday through SE Asia, just flown into Bangkok in the afternoon. My travel partner decided to have an early night, because of a severe hangover incurred the previous night in a Penang nightclub called the 'Boum Boum Club'.

Looking back, still quite pleased that I managed to find Cowboy throuogh the combination of a moralising Lonely Planet article and a local map.

I remember being most intrigued by the poster for the 'Match the Snatch' competition and decided to start training for that.

I finally returned to my (by then rather worried) friend in the morning, and we both never looked back.

Having got into a tuk tuk and telling the driver we just wanted a beer; no girls... I had my first beer in a goldfish bowl type place, one of those joints where they parade a line of numbered chicks in identical dresses in front of you.

We had chicks thrust on us by the papasan and after having no action paid a massive bill for the girls' orange & coke.

To this day, after 3 years living in Thailand, have no idea where that bar/goldfish bowl was.

A cold december night in 1989, soi Cowboy, Darling a go go. (was the first bar on the right hand side coming from Asoke)

After choosing my first beer I got chosen by what became my first BG. I still remember her face and name, still gives me this warm fuzzy LOS feeling :drunk:

First was probably poolside at the Club Andaman Hotel, as I was with the family. Phuket, 1997.

I didn't venture out the first few nights, but swilling beers at night on our huge balcony, I couldn't help noticing people fucking inside the windows of nearby apartments. Then it hit me that I was in Thailand and there was probably something out there for me in the bars.

First stop, The Firehouse A Go-Go. I'd been to the one in Ermita a few times, but I liked this one much better, mainly because of the lovely dancer who latched on to me. She helped me find an ATM, sorted my money, and took me back to her room. I crawled home (safely) at dawn.

Didn't do so well the next night. Woke up at her place again, but well after my (our) flight home via Singapore had departed. :drunk:

Archived