Would you risk your life for your opinions ?

BelgianBoy

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ecellent question...most of us would like to believe we would stand up for what is right,but if it really meant losing everything-house,job,being imprisioned I suppose most would take the easy way out and keep quiet,its just human nature,but its what oppresive regimes rely upon...

Well in my youth I spent a fair amount of time in the streets. I still find myself getting pretty upset when it comes to the political realm. Something that is very different now it that religion is taking over politics. This frightens me because politics has the ability to evolve and change over time. People can rise up against opressive politics. People can be pursuaded, and wars can be fought and won over politics. But religion is different. In most cases it is very slow to evolve if at all. It is single minded and very black or white. Religion suplants human logic and forgoes even the most modest moves that may better the human condition, if it strays in anyway from its tenents. I know there are supposed more open and progresive religions, but the bottom line is they still require you to "believe" or have "faith" This is how even normaly intelligent people when faced with making a choice of leaders will not even consider the persons politics as long as they think he is a "man of faith". On a more global level when a religion becomes emoboldened by the action of a few, there is a real chance of massive death and disruption. At a certain point it can come down to who has the most bullets. Religous wars are wars of attrition and I fear we may be facing that sort of scenario sooner rather than later.

The right to express oneself is becoming restrictive almost each day.

I think in Socrates, Aristole, and Plato time, things were better. They could get together, debate, leave and come back another day as friends and start all over again.

That part sounds good, but reflecting on how Socrates was accused, charged, convicted and sentenced to death, it appears an element existed then as it does today. Civilization has not gotten any better.

"How about you ?"

Sad happenings in Holland.

A for myself, I never bothered to voice my opinion in public. Not really interested and convinced it'll have any significant influence.

I do respect those who do take the effort though. It's just not for me.

thalenoi said:

As for myself, my security file at the secret services of my country mention me as an anarchist, enough said... :o

Well, they're not very secret are they?

Lemme guess, you got the info under the Freedom of Information Act?

Hate to see what my MI5 file says, if they could be bothered to put one together, prolly summit like "likes a drink, keeps pigeons and farts after curry..."

thalenoi said:

[color:"blue"]Where did the killing happen? In Afganistan? In an uncontrolled land?[/color]

Amsterdam, the Netherlands, 2nd of november 2004

Similar to what happens in Southern Thailand revenge actions, limited to bombings for the time being, are perpetrated against moslim targets.

Wasn't the killing in the Netherlands by a single, deranged individual?

There was a murder of the foreign minister in Sweden (Anna Lindh), by a serb - who was an anti muslim dude. It was treated as an act of a deranged, disturbed person. It could be twisted politically also - as Mrs. Lindh has done as Gogh did. Gone out towards a community.

I think its wrong to compare either of these acts to what happens in the South of Thailand. The cases in Sweden and Netherlands are isolated loonie bins.

To answer your question BB, I have never used violence to express my opinions. I have been close to chaining myself in protest, I found other ways to correct wrong which were better though.

I think everyone should be allowed to speak out and act peacefully vs. injustice.

There is a lot of wrongs happening in western societies where no others than media can correct it.

Archived