Would you risk your life for your opinions ?

BelgianBoy

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My point is, that it can happen to all people in power - especially those focused in media. Crazy people strike anywhere. Can happen if you are a boss who fires a subordinate also?

I am sure the Swedish foreign minister didn't intend to be murdered as she went out with her governments points. Thats what the fuck is my point. Its not only isolated to speaking out towards muslims.

I took your question as us privately, making choices to stand for what we believe in. I think public servants have answered this question, as they can become target, just by the fact they are in the public eye.

On account of my good-naturedness (and selfishness), it is just natural for me not to put myself on the frontline as a permanent life choice. I am sure there are events that could trigger stepping up to the plate, but it would have to be about very drastic curbing of my freedom and others. An opinion for or against something will not be enough.

The right to express oneself is becoming restrictive almost each day.

-----------------------------

IMO, only because people are complacent and do not use the right. That right starts with getting information, and one thing for example about the last US elections, is that everything was out, with plenty of outlet (and outnet) to get one's infos. no one can claim "if i had known, i would not have voted the way I did..."

I do see your point though, it's valid, but I am not sure it's a restriction due to laws and interdicts, though there may be cogent instances of it.

>I think its wrong to compare either of these acts to what happens in the South of Thailand. The cases in Sweden and Netherlands are isolated loonie bins.

Retaliation, both South of Thailand and Netherlands.

Very hot topic in the Netherlands right now, daily discussions on TV, authorities trying to calm down people, police on terrorist alert, Queen went out yesterday to intervene, very rare happening.

Increasing spiral of violence muslim against rest of population in Holland and vice versa and you think of some isolated event???

I am sure I am on lists somewhere! In the 80's I was detained (but not arrested) protesting Ronnie Ray-Gun. The last time I lived in the States (2000) I was very actively campaigning for Gore in a *VERY* old money Republican enclave. Wifey actually got into it when she understood the issues and was even more pissed off than I am that Bush won (if that is possible :dunno:).

My crowning achievement is coercing a business visa to Burma in the mid-90s (Yanks were generally not welcomed in Burma then). I simply wanted to see Aung San Suu Kyi speak at her home while under house arrest. She did that every Saturday afternoon. My Malaysian boss knew this, but he wrote a letter to the Myanmar embassy anyway saying that I was representing his company (educated in UK, former VP of Royal Dutch Shell, and no love lost by him on the SLORC). Being a farang and the one of only two farang there that afternoon, I was lucky enough to be invited into her home for tea and conversation. I have memories and pictures that I will cherish forever! I risked my freedom and career just to see her... Awesome lady!

But I never felt that I was risking my life. I am VERY opinionated and stubborn tho', and could see myself doing that. But I have had no chance to...

Sorry if that pisses people off for thinking that I name-drop. You know who you are... What can I do if that is the truth? Deal with it -- sorry your life is boring :cover:

Cheers,

SD

Archived