Motorcycle assholes

khunsanuk

[color:"blue"]We are much smarter about money (ok not as smart as the Chinese ) and will usually find a way to get an idea how much something will cost, then we will ask for the price BEFORE buying (something Thais are way too shy to do) and if the price doesn't fit we will haggle or not buy it. A Thai will often be too lazy and too shy to find out about the price (eg asking other sellers), accept any price as a given and just pay up. Especially if he has a lower status than the seller, ie always if the seller is a corporation. Arguing with a company is a big no-no for simple Thais.[/color]

Is my gf an exception then?

We were at Samitivej hospital and when time came to pay the bill she asked for a discount.....which we could get paying with a Thai credit card I don't have unfortunately...

We also have drinking water delivered, these 10 liter plastic jars, asking price when we got here was 10 baht/jar. She enquired around our beach and found out that other people were getting water cheaper. A friend even changed supplier to get 3 jars for 20 baht. Now she puts 8 baht on the empty jar for filling up :up:

She NEVER will pay the indicated price when buying expensive items (500 baht up)

Living in Chumpon and visiting Bangkok we ate a noodle soup at some house restaurant. Price on the wall was 25 baht per small portion. She asked 2 small portions, but the bill was somewhat higher. First she paid but then had a word fight with the waitress who gave back some baht.....

Hmmm, isn't she a great lady???.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know some Thais who always ask for a discount at a hospital.

Most falangs go to Pantip and are asked 130 baht for a DVD but generally walk awat paying 120 baht. Across the street from Pantip, one place has several vendors who sell to anybody DVDs for 100 baht. The packaging and the label on the DVD (if it even has a label on the DVD) look like crap - that is the ones they give to falangs. The ones they give to Thais, look a lot better then the packaging and sticker on the DVDs do at Pantip, but from what I have seen, all the Thais buy them for only 90 baht. Why the discrepancy: falangs, for the most part, don't complain - they don't know better.

i have had a similar problem.

from the subway to my place it's 20 baht. but a few drivers try to demand 30. i solved it by having a twenty baht bill ready. they get that and nothing else.

Hi,

Yeah, that would have solved it, but unfortunately I did not have 15 Baht in change. Anyway, think I may have solved the problem by ignoring that wing completely and just getting a bike from somewhere else.

To bad there is no point in telling the other guys they lost a regular customer because of the greed of one of them. Seriously doubt they would care or even understand the concept :(

Sanuk!

same here. there are two exits close by, with two lines serving each exit. first i took only one, where every driver charged 30 baht (which i found outrageous for the short trip).

i then walked, or took a cab, until i met in the other line a friend who said that it's only 20 baht to my house (same as the guys in my soi charge to the station).

after that i had only a few guys in the line of my mate trying to charge 30 baht. now i make sure that i have a 20 baht note (change it, if necessary, in the subway).

and yeah, it's a matter of principle, especially in my own neighborhood. if i allow that people take the piss, they will do it on far more important issues as well.

I found in general moto drivers are some of the most honest guys in the transport biz to deal with for the unsuspecting honest farang.

They get me where I want to go quick & they charge going rates with or without a small tip, but never the 100%++ surchage tuk tuk drivers or taxis may attemp ;)

Also I've found asking upfront or after the ride will yield the same price which indicates no scam!

Which other means of transport will provide a 5bt ride down a soi?

depends very much on which soi you are.

some lines are evil thugs, but most are just nice guys trying to make a living.

i had once even some trying to steal my motorcycle, that was a bit scary.

Archived