Motorcycle assholes

khunsanuk

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

'People who don't reside in LOS will never comprehend our frustration of such double pricing (it's not a financial matter, the fact that it happens everyday over and over again IS)'

i have never been bothered about the double pricing in LOS.

only experienced it once at Wat Prao Kaw(sp)and not a problem for me really.

to me the odd 5-10 Bt is nothing,but i understand the frustrations of residents when they encounter it every day.

Hi,

"to me the odd 5-10 Bt is nothing"

As Zaad already mentioned, the money is not the issue. I too couldn't give a shit about 5 Baht.

It is just so fucking annoying to have to pay more, just because you are farang and therefore rich. My wife already prefers going to the market alone as if I join many people try to charge her more.

It really is fucking frustrating :cussing:

Sanuk!

Guest lazyphil

It would wear me down if I was living with this hassle day in day out, you have more patience than me....I had a similar thing in Patong, I just walked away, he got in a right paddy!!

I've also noticed that some Thai girls that I "know" don't get the same price I do.

For example, Tuk Tuk from the BTS to my previous home was 20 baht for me, but they wouldn't budge less than 30 baht from my friends. In my new place, my friend's thai wife gets a motorcycle from home to the subway for 15 baht, whereas I can get it for 10 baht without a hassle. It's not just farangs. Thais ripping off Thais is all too common.

This is very annoying to me too. From Carrefoure to my house is a 30 baht tuk tuk. As I can't say the name of my soi properly, they know I'm a farang and five out of six guys hold out for 40 baht. Thank god for the one guy who always seems to be there for me.

The tuk tuk drivers gives some BS excuse about kids coming home from school and traffic. A Taxi is 35 baht and the distance is 1.2km.

<<burp>>

>>Thais ripping off Thais is all too common.

In many many cases farangs get things much cheaper than a Thai would get it.

We are much smarter about money (ok not as smart as the Chinese :)) and will usually find a way to get an idea how much something will cost, then we will ask for the price BEFORE buying (something Thais are way too shy to do) and if the price doesn't fit we will haggle or not buy it. A Thai will often be too lazy and too shy to find out about the price (eg asking other sellers), accept any price as a given and just pay up. Especially if he has a lower status than the seller, ie always if the seller is a corporation. Arguing with a company is a big no-no for simple Thais.

Examples: I sent gf to Ladphrao hospital for outpatient treatment, told her to take 1000 B with her, that would be more than enough. She was "cautious", took 3000 B with her, and they ripped her off thoroughly and took all her money. I hardly could believe it. I would never have paid this, and I doubt they would have tried to get 3000 from me for a simple outpatient visit. But they had the "guts" to rip off a young girl who has never been to a hospital by herself. She paid (her own money) and when I later asked the staff for an itemized bill she was to shy to even enter the hospital.

Gf needed glasses. No idea where to go. Went to the most conspicuous (and worst) place: Charoen Optical. Got bad glasses for 2500 B. When I needed glasses, I did a bit of shopping around, asked a friend who knows about glasses to go with me and got very good glasses for 500 B at Washington Optical opposite World Trade. Oh, I had asked at Charoen Optical too, but I could see they are a scam and I was not too shy to just leave.

I have Bangkok Banks cheapest ATM card. I asked for the fees when I opened the account and then chose the cheapest one, I don't need a fancy one. All Thais I know (who have much less money than I) have more expensive ones (they look much nicer), even they never use their functions. They don't ask about fees when they open an account.

Thai friend comes to MBK and wants to meet me at Chula. Has no idea where it is (BG) and asks a Tuktuk. Tuktuk tells her its very far, and gets 60 B for a 30 second ride.

Motobike from BTS Mochit to Mochit Bus Terminal is 30 B (written in Thai at the motorbike stand). I have never paid more than this. Some Thais pay 60.

Guesthouses (if they accept Thais at all) are often cheaper for farangs. Thai guests are more noisy and dirty, come during peak times, come often in a group and share the price so they dont feel the pinch, and Thais feel it has to be expensive to be sanuk.

If I buy something at a shop (7/11, Carrefour etc) I will have an idea how much the bill will be. If it is more I will check the bill and if there are mistakes I will complain. I have never seen a Thai doing this (I am sure there are some), they won't do the sums and they are too shy to complain if there is a mistake.

KS,

"My wife already prefers going to the market alone as if I join many people try to charge her more."

That pisses me off as well. Especially in Phitsanulok, not so much in BKK luckily.

I'd wait in the car (like a good little puppy) just to see her return with the heavy bags herself since we'd have payed much more had I tagged along.

iuytrede wrote

"Thai friend comes to MBK and wants to meet me at Chula. Has no idea where it is (BG) and asks a Tuktuk. Tuktuk tells her its very far, and gets 60 B for a 30 second ride."

I had a similar experience when I came to Bangkok the first time. I asked a Tuk tuk driver to take me such and such place. He took me there. Drove all over Bangkok and charged me 350 baht. Recently, asked to go to the same place and my start location was the same. Cost 40 baht. I complained and paid 20 baht, the ususal price.

iuytrede also wrote

"Motobike from BTS Mochit to Mochit Bus Terminal is 30 B (written in Thai at the motorbike stand). I have never paid more than this. Some Thais pay 60."

I never have seen the motorbike stand at BTS Mochit, so I assume some Thais have not also. I have seen the motorbike stand over beside the bus station, and you are right, one stand does have the rates posted.

Archived