Motorcycle assholes

khunsanuk

Hi,

Every day for the last 5-6 weeks I take a motorbike taxi home from the subway. Cost is always 15 Baht.

Always, except with 1 guy though.

He refused to give me change from the 20 I gave him, claiming this was the usual price. Now by then I had already done the trip some 10-15 times, and always paid 15 Baht. Told him this, to no avail of course. He just drove off.

Met him again today, he was the next in line for a ride. I recognized him and moved to the next bike. He told me I should ride with him. So, I told him where to go, he recognized me and told me 20 Baht. I said, yes and that's why I do not want you to bring me.

Moved to the next guy and he of course refused as well at that point (pissed me off as well).

Luckily this is a very busy place (close to the subway) and there were many bikes returning after dropping off someone, so picked the first one available. He drove me home, gave him 15 Baht. He looked at it, pocketed it without a word and left.

Now, I really do not care about 5 Baht, but this kind of crap of double charging just totally pisses me off. I should have asked the asshole why he charges 20 Baht, while everybody else only asks for 15. Maybe he considers himself better than the others, or more likey the others aren't such assholes :)

Anyway, just needed to vent a bit.

Sanuk!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It could have been worse. The motorcycle guys near were I live told me that I should not seat so rigid on the seat because it is hard for them to drive. I didn't tell them that is not the problem: when they drive fast I sway back and forth till they slow down. They also said I can hang on but I do not have to. After my talk with them, I got on the bike, hung on, and would have been dumped off because a Thai girl ran out in front of the bile and the driver had to turn quick to avoid hitting her.

Later, was on a different bike, and the dumb driver drove into the back of a truck. This is the third time I have been on a bike that has hit another vehicle!

As for over charging - I know this is a big one with you. I was taking a river boat taxi the other day. I paid for my ticket. I got no change back from a 10 baht coin. Later, I looked and noticed it was an 8 baht ticket. I watched some of the Thais pay, they got charged 8 baht and it looked like they got 8 baht tickets. I asked several falangs what they paid, and they said 10 baht. I looked at their tickets and they all had 8 baht tickets. On the way back, I got the same boat. Paid 10 baht, got an 8 baht ticket. Looked at the ticket and then held out my hand. Slowly, but surely, I was given 2 baht. As you know, they give the ticket and change at the same time. In this case I was given the ticket, the box was closed and then later she opened it up and gave me my 2 baht.

As in your case, I would not be surprised that there is another falang in your area that pays 15 baht with a 5 baht tip. That apple may be ruining it for you.

Yep, we know the feeling....

I remember that motorbike driver on Phetkasem Highway at Chumpon intersection who was pissed off because we refused his services when getting off a Krabi bound bus with 2 suitcases!!!

We jumped into a songteaw who happened to be waiting at the same spot. The motorbike driver told the songteaw driver to ask for 100 baht iso the normal 15 baht charge. The songteaw driver was happy with 30 baht though :rolleyes:

next time have 15 B ready, give it to him and walk away

if he says "20" before the trip, smile and say "15" while getting on his bike, and then give him 15 after the trip and walk away

after a couple of times he will get used to it, or he will refuse to take you, which wouldn't hurt you

I had a similar problem with a new guy in the win near my home. I paid him the first time and the next day I mentioned it to the kid who is "in charge" of the win. And I used the excuse that he is new and must not have known the prices to save him face although we bothn knew what I was referring to. Never had another problem with him. Funny how much mileage you get out of a bottle of whisky once in a while (2-3 times a year) and B100 ang pow (each) to all the guys on Chinese New Year (otherwise I never tip). Those blokes would all go to bat for me and more importantly my wife & kids at any time. A good group.

So, if this is a regular stop for you, maybe a few words to the win leader would help (if they are a good group and not thugs, that is).

Regards,

SD

Hi,

"So, if this is a regular stop for you, maybe a few words to the win leader would help (if they are a good group and not thugs, that is)."

It's not really, i.e. it is not the one close to my house. I have no problem with any of these guys, never any problems with money or anything. They also know we are friends with the owner of the printing company in front of which they reside, which might help :)

This guy is from the win close to the subway and I use them to go home when taking the subway. I might try picking up guys dropping of people in the tiny soi close to the subway instead.

Not sure who is in charge of this win either.

Sanuk!

PS Is it 'win' or 'wing' ?

KS,

People who don't reside in LOS will never comprehend our frustration of such double pricing (it's not a financial matter, the fact that it happens everyday over and over again IS)

I'd either try to familiarize myself with them or find another group without assholes.

Or as LP suggested, WALK, like me. :)

suadum said:Never had another problem with him. Funny how much mileage you get out of a bottle of whisky once in a while...

Too true. :applause: "Tap", the one-armed motorbike bloke I often use between Soi 7 beergarden and Soi Cowboy (if I'm feeling a wee bit jet-lagged and unsteady on my feet :drunk:) drinks a bottle of whiskey before work every morning, :beer: or so he says. :p The booze wears off at about midnight, depending on the availability and street-price of yah-bah, :clown: but by then he's clocked up a fair few miles between accidents, sleeping at the handlebars, and tumbling off at sudden curves. :up:

jack :help:

Archived