Do you Enjoy Christmas Shopping?

Torneyboy

ALHOLK said:

Hi!

Another great celebration perverted by the religious protheletizers

How right you are. The real celebration is the mid winter rites. That is when we stay home and feast on the arse of Odin's sacred pig (also known as ham :)).

Anyway, why the fuck is xmas celebrated in Dec. 25. According to the confused christian mythology our time is counted from the birth of Christ. So why the fuck doesn't xmas and new year coincide.

regards

ALHOLK

Well, I really love this topic. Myth bashing is highly gratifying work. :up:

As 'the church' tried to reel in more and more 'faithful' to contribute to their power base and coffers, it became clear that allowing them to keep the semblance of their traditional beliefs was crutial. So most of the traditional celebrations were 'christianized'.

The most obvious one was Winter Solstace ......... the shortest day of the year. This was celebrated through the Northern hemisphere. It is the re*birth* of the Sun. Candles or bonfires would be lit throughout the night to guide the sun to return in fear that if no one did so, the days would grow shorter and shorter, until they were no more. And guess what, it worked. (The ancient shamans were no slouches at providing a little drama for their followers either :up:)

The Spring equinox and the traditional blood sacrifice to insure a bountiful planting/harvest cycle was not missed either. The JC myth is only one of the last in a long line of 'gods' who died to insure his people had a good harvest.

:bow:

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The most obvious one was Winter Solstace ......... the shortest day of the year. This was celebrated through the Northern hemisphere. It is the re*birth* of the Sun. Candles or bonfires would be lit throughout the night to guide the sun to return in fear that if no one did so, the days would grow shorter and shorter, until they were no more. And guess what, it worked. (The ancient shamans were no slouches at providing a little drama for their followers either :up:)

Also in the middle east...... Hanukah is the feast of light held in the winter......

How about Loy Kratong next week in LOS ?

BB

Loy Kratong

http://www.thaiembassy.jp/culture-eng/loykratong/

interesting though the similarities to All Saint's Day and All Hallowed Eve, a releasing of the Spirits on the full Harvest Moon.

Maybe mankind likes to let his hair down after the harvest is in. :up:

Hmmm..... I thought Hanukah was connected to the Passover? :dunno:

The Hindu Festival of Lights to the God Kali has just finished as well and also Ramadan.......... sure a concentration of festivals this time of year. ............ Not too many in July and August though .... everyone's at the beach. :neener:

"...Hmmm..... I thought Hanukah was connected to the Passover? ..."

Ah, no, something about a war/victory, Macabees and enough oil to burn for 8 nights, when it should have only lasted 1, maybe where that whole economizer stereotype started? :) I don't really remember/know, I just recall a meal with bad food, and a few lame presents...what the hell are you supposed to do with a god damned draddle anyway? what the hell is a draddle? looks like one of those things lobster fishermen tie to their traps to mark them...did I mention lame food? Giffiltte fish what the hell is that? and beet borsch, like I wasn't hyper active enough as a kid my mother had to pump me full of beats and sugars, really send me in a diz...and never mind the damned lame assed draddle, what the hell kind of gift is an orange? yeah you heard me, a fucking orange! and lamed assed chocalote! American chocalote is bad enough, but the Isreali shit is really nasty, especially after you've eaten a bitter orange, and beet borsch...I was burping that damned giffiltte fish all week...still have night mares about it! jeasus H. Christ on a pogo stick, was it miserable...well at least we didn't have the fucking Christmas carols? oh yes we fuckking sure as hell did, mixed marrage we suffered through all the damned holidays, no gifts though, "...not in the true spirit of Christmas..." what lousy memories...wew, thanks, I needed to vent that...what were we on about then...? oh yeah, holidays, Christmas, I say fuck it... Don't even get me started on the mistle toe the night I met Si Saket girl...

ah, go suck some Holly berries :neener:

an orange, AN ORANGE ... yah lucky bugger. I always got a fuckin pomegranate. 50 million little seeds to pick out, but fortunately the juice really stains the new socks auntie always sent, so I could skip wearing them.

and what's with this crap of giving kids everyday stuff like socks and underwear for 'presents' ???? If you're going to give someone a present, give them something they don't need.

now back to Life of Brian.

Xmas is for kids, and newly arrived foreigners. Its a long time since I have had any xmas tree at my place, will get that now. As my family is coming.

I celebrated TET holidays in Viet Nam earlier this year, and found that experience nice. They don't have xmas tree, but 2 other ones. One with small oranges and 1 with flowers... And lots of good food and weird customs. Lucky money is given from each person, in a Chinese envelope. Everyone visit eachother, but not 1st day. Which would be unlucky. Can not clean house that day either.

Sure, will do all Norwegian xmas stuff here this xmas!!!! Includes shopping, and I might like it this time!

Cheers! :D

LaoHuLi said:

Loy Kratong

http://www.thaiembassy.jp/culture-eng/loykratong/

interesting though the similarities to All Saint's Day and All Hallowed Eve, a releasing of the Spirits on the full Harvest Moon.

Maybe mankind likes to let his hair down after the harvest is in. :up:

Hmmm..... I thought Hanukah was connected to the Passover? :dunno:

The Hindu Festival of Lights to the God Kali has just finished as well and also Ramadan.......... sure a concentration of festivals this time of year. ............ Not too many in July and August though .... everyone's at the beach. :neener:

Uncle,

You got your history wrong.....

Ramadan is according to a moon calandar, so in another 10-15 years it will be in summer again.....

Hanukah is when the Israelites found one oillamp that burned for 8 days when they rebuild the 2nd temple after coming back from Babylon.

Passover, is when God passed over the houses to kill all firstborn sons of Egypt the day before the Israelites left to a 40 year-walk in the Sinai......

And the Hindi festival is called the Diwali festival. :p

BB

Got to admit, I'm enjoying it this year, as I did last year. It's amazing how a few years away from the family made me appreciate them a bit more. Up until I discovered travelling I hated Xmas, now I love it, even though work gets busier and busier right up until Xmas eve.

Having a baby sister helps- most of the 'grown ups' in my family are pricks.... me included.

Archived