bang na

thai3

MadMax said:Fly cautions strongly against the dangers of nightlife, yet he choses to live 50 meters from a slum, and argues that part of the Thai experience. I'm not critical of his choice, but I'd like to point out that Fly could live on Sukh Soi 8 and probably not have to worry about gangs running up and down the soi.

I lived in Bangna for 3 years, several more in the central Sukhmvit area and the ONLY place I had any trouble with a gang was in ........... Sukhumvit Soi 8!! And Yes, they were running up and down the Soi and across the road into Soi 11 but there was only one gang - and me! Memorable evening, as was the next day in Lumphini nick 'sorting things out'! All part of life's rich tapestry and all that.

Incidentally, I have only been in one proper fight in my entire life, and that was right outside the Shangri-La Hotel, with a taxi driver of all people! Apparently I won but it didn't exactly whet my appetite for more!

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Soi 8, is nowhere safe? That's the quite soi where the shithole the promenade is and the royal asia lodge are right? Stayed in that soi a couple of times and at the Danish hotel stable lodge, never noticed any trouble or gangs where do they hang out? Fly is giving me the creeps next trip I will just stay in the hotel room and watch the telly. Careful Fly you will put off all those millions of tourists mr T is after. Seriously though it does do to remember not to get so pissed that you don't see what's going on around you until too late-peter

flyonzewall said:

bang na and further out samut prakan are some of the most gang infested areas here.

Hmm, apparently there are people who would disagree:

someone, elsewhere, said:

samut prakan and bang na does not have gangs. in fact they are two of the safer places to live in Bangcock

I asked my friend yesterday who is from surin but has lived in samut prakhan for 11 years. She assured me is was not dangerous there or bang na, well as far as going to cafes is concerned. Fly's obsevations are a bit slanted due to working with the casualties. If I worked in an ambulance or in A&E in a UK town I might be warning people not to venture into any town centre on a weekend.-peter

>>>Hmm, apparently there are people who would disagree:<<<

right, yeah...

and the countless gangfights i have seen there, the shots fired in my immediate surroundings on several occasions are just a product of my wild imagination. :doah:

sorry, but i really don't give a fuck if someone "disagrees" - i do know what i have seen and experienced, i am not that senile yet.

>>>Fly's obsevations are a bit slanted due to working with the casualties. If I worked in an ambulance or in A&E in a UK town I might be warning people not to venture into any town centre on a weekend.-peter <<<

for fuck's sake, when is that thread finally dying down. :sleeping:

again - i do work in several areas of bangkok, and out of the many districts i do know very well at night, bang na/samut prakan are by far the most dangerous (except maybe rama II area).

slanted due to working the casualties?! are you a bit daft? those casualties did not start their evenings out as casualties, they mostly went out just like you - to have a nice evening out, singing karaoke, listen to thai music, going to a disco.

the power of denial... :doah:

What I am saying is Bullshit is you making everything sound so dangerous. You are an ambulance chaser and your viewpoint is seriously colored by it.

Not saying the things you saw didn't happen and that was never my intention, but if the world operated by the impression you give on this board, there would be NO thai people left in BKK cause they would have all killed each other off.

Oh, and thank you about the wonderful info. of walking in a Klong Toey slum. Wow, I didn't even know there was a drug war!!! Give me a freak'n break. Do a favor and stop preaching. There's not a lotta difference between a slum here and those that I walked when I was in high school.

"i don't assume - i have been living here long enough, speak enough thai, and am entangled far enough to say that with authority."

You ASSuME all the freak'n time with your sermons. As I said before your so far down the well you can't see any daylight.

"work within the society here you may have more leeway ..., but not when it comes down to face."

Wrong again. I've done things purposely and got away with them because I am a farang. If I was a Thai I would not have gotten away with them, not to mention paid after the fact.

I'm just thankful I don't live in your world.

<<burp>>

I have to agree with mr gummigut on the assuming, how do you know what the casualties went out for? They may have gone out with the intention of looking for trouble,or been part of some gang vendetta nothing to do with falangs or their ladies.Most of the casualties the tung see must be road related anyway. I have a documentary on the tung, what a bunch of amatures and self publicists they seem to be, as portrayed in this 10 year old film anyway. Do they still take shots of the dead and sell them to the papers?-peter

Archived