bang na

thai3

>>>not to mention the glories of the mall bang kae<<<

yeah, the good old mall - famous all over bangkok for its battles between vocational students. ever been at one of 'em battles? they can be real fun - hundreds of kids really sloshing it out, ping pong ball granades, zipguns, all sorts of knifes and swords.

another great place to see that is central rama II.

in rangsit i cleared out once the aftermath of a concert - a few dozen kids in the emergency ward, all with lovely slashings, a few not so serious gunshot wounds, the ward was swimming in blood.

you know, i am a bit stunned that you go to those areas and are even not aware what is going on there. i mean, you can have all your tactics of avoiding trouble, i have them as well, but i do know exacty what i am getting myself into when being around there.

but how comes that you go out there, and nobody has ever told you what happens there around you?!

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're a one man disaster zone, everytime I have been to the mall it's no different to any other. I know about schoolkid fights, but here again when was the last time they decided to pick on a falang? and they are hardly weekly events. I have stayed in Rangsit and gone out around there dozens of times, sometimes on my own until the early hours. How about Nonthaburi where does that score on the list of casulties? must have been lucky there as well-can recommend the ocean massage, but not for a punch up :D-peter

Damn, you make it sound like if you walk down any other soi except those in the upmarket or the farang ghetto you're taking your life in your own hands.

That's bullshit. If your urbanly astute, there's no problems. I haven't been hacked to death once yet! Though I have witnessed a fight or two. Saw the same damn crap in New York. This "utter subtlety" stuff is for the birds.

As for this whole "face" thing, farang's are not treated the same as Thais and have much more leeway in how things go. It's just not the same at all.

As for general violence and mayhem, if someone is looking for a mark, they are going to go after one that looks easy, something they are familiar with. For a thai, that's anything but a farang (unless it's a bargirl - but then they have familiarity with farangs). They may look to make a few jokes at a farang's expense, but escalating to violence is something they'd think twice about versus if that same person was a thai.

If it's random violence, well, it's called random for a reason. Personally, I still don't understand why more people don't die each year from idiots just shutting guns in the air. Those bullets have to land sometime!

If you treat everyone with respect, you generally get it back. It ain't that hard.

<<burp>>

>>>That's bullshit. If your urbanly astute, there's no problems. I haven't been hacked to death once yet! Though I have witnessed a fight or two. Saw the same damn crap in New York. This "utter subtlety" stuff is for the birds.<<<

and if you are urbanly astute, you know which areas to avoid at night, which areas to be careful in, and which areas are safe.

the "face" thing not for farang? i beg to differ, but if you ever want to reach something, work within the society here you may have more leeway (as i have said already many times), but not when it comes down to face.

and regarding bullshit, tell us the about your nights out in areas like bang na, samut prakan, thonburi and rangsit, please.

dunno, but over the years i spent hundreds of nights there. and i have seen everything i post about. no hearsay, no rumors.

The bullshit is you giving the impression that you walk around the corner in a so called "middle class" thai neighborhood you will walk into a vocational student battle with zipguns, knives and what not.

As for me bullshitting about my nights out in areas like bang na, samut prakan, thonburi, and rangsit, I never said that. That's you trying to make an argument. I've been out in bang na and thonburi, but hell if I know where as it's thai people who've taken me.

"and if you are urbanly astute, you know which areas to avoid at night, which areas to be careful in, and which areas are safe"

Obviously not as I've walked the klong toey slums at night because I was bored a couple of times. Generally you mind your own business people leave you alone. I was challenged a number of times and I let it go. Two times I had to play the farang card. Whereas if I was Thai, things probably would have escalated. Being a farang gave the other guys doubts and a way out to laugh things off. Which goes back to the other point I always argue about with you...

"the "face" thing not for farang?" I keep saying it's not the same. Hello? The rules are different. A big difference than saying "not for farang". Stop assuming stuff to make your points.

<<burp>>

Well I can tell you about my last 365 days in Bang na. Since I friggen live there/here. Never seen any problems. Find pollution better, people more friendly and life quiet and very good. That is why we moved out here and why we are buying properties here. Nice area. Been to bars on 103 ( julies pub etc) been to 10s of restaurants in the area. Dont see why people are going on about Bang Na. Especially people who dont even live in country and could not point Bang Na out on a map.

This is a silly thread ...really guys.

The point Thai 3 was making is that he goes out and has not had any problems-Good for him I say-This is possible.

Fly has pointed out that shit can hit you in the face and when it does it can be really bad-This also is true and its good to know what can happen..what is lurking out there even if the odds are small-

I personally have experienced/seen both..its all good as long as you can walk/get home(ask Carrew)

Thats it ...thats all

Mod put us out of this misery... :D

>>>The bullshit is you giving the impression that you walk around the corner in a so called "middle class" thai neighborhood you will walk into a vocational student battle with zipguns, knives and what not.<<<

no, i have given rather exact locations and areas.

please don't interprete my posts that freely.

>>>As for me bullshitting about my nights out in areas like bang na, samut prakan, thonburi, and rangsit, I never said that. That's you trying to make an argument. I've been out in bang na and thonburi, but hell if I know where as it's thai people who've taken me.<<<

i think that i simply asked you, there is a bit more than a semantic difference.

the term "bullshit" was coined by you. and given that you appearantly have not much clue about the areas in discussion, i think you should be a bit more careful what you deem as "bullshit".

i can prove whatever i have been posting in this thread rather easily.

>>>Obviously not as I've walked the klong toey slums at night because I was bored a couple of times.<<<

that is a very stupid thing to do. there are areas in klong toey slum which are very safe, and others, such as loc 1, which are everything else than.

and the danger is not just from some nasty kids, but from cops who assume that every foreigner at night there is looking for drugs, and who are not beyond putting some in your pocket. hello - we still are in the drugwar, and especially in klong toey, where three different competing police agencies are fighting that war.

and, i would walk klong toey at night with far less fear than some sois in samut prakan. klong toey slums are old slums where there is a sense of community, most of the slums in samut prakan aren't. huge difference.

>>>"the "face" thing not for farang?" I keep saying it's not the same. Hello? The rules are different. A big difference than saying "not for farang". Stop assuming stuff to make your points.<<<

first of all - you are not farang. you may have a farang passport, maybe inside farang, but you will *never* be seen as farang by anyone who does not know you. the term thais will apply to you is "jek". and there is nothing that will change that. the same way that even with a thai passport i would always stay farang.

secondly, the rules are different as long as you stay complete outsider, expat, long time holiday maker. but as soon as you become part of a family, and a puac, you will see that the rules are shifting more and more. you will have to adapt, or you stay on the outside forever.

i don't assume - i have been living here long enough, speak enough thai, and am entangled far enough to say that with authority.

>>>Well I can tell you about my last 365 days in Bang na. Since I friggen live there/here. Never seen any problems.<<<

and i have been picking up corpses and injured in the area since four years. seen more than a bit of problems there.

that is why i am going on about bang na.

i have even recently been offered to become a member of the citicen's police corps in adjoining samut prakan (which i politely declined, of course).

Archived