Ouch - US dollar under 40 baht

OCgringo

01 Jan 2006 it was 41.025 and has been going down since then ::

2004 and 2005, the USD has been under 39 Baht in Jan and then slowly climb to about 42 by the summertime.

The USD is up vs the Japanese Yen: 116.27, but the USD was higher not that long ago.

I hope this year it moves higher at a faster pace!

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah, for the good old days when it was 20 baht to the dollar!

:)

p.s. Before WWII it was something like 3 or 4 baht to the sterling! All the paper money the Nipponese gents forced the Thais to print for them is what did it in. (The Bank of Thailand had to comply or the Nipponese "liberators" were going to issue their own "occupation money", which offended Thai pride.)

p.p.s. No, I was NOT here during WWII. That is just a slanderous rumour.

• 1 month later...

The drop has benefitted me. I've US dollars that I'd transferred to my two Thai banks the latter part of last year.

Of course the banks converted the US$ to Baht...at rates

of 41-42 Bt to the dollar.

Today I had the banks convert some of my Baht assets back into US$...and I made between 8-15% on the transactions, due to the now devalued Baht. I've still sufficient Baht in the banks to carry me a number of months...and expect the Baht will rise (hopefully in time after the political situation settles down), then I'll convert those $$ back into Baht.

Good luck as currency speculation is extremely risky business. For what it?s worth my guess is the dollar will not strengthen, but instead continue its bumpy downward spiral.

Also, as I?m sure you know, gold broke through the $600 an ounce barrier today (or yesterday) and oil is pushing $70 a barrel once again. The Euro is again flying high and these trends will probably continue or even accelerate as more and more countries are backing away from holding US dollars in favor of other currencies. But who knows???

ST

I don't understand why I keep hearng about "weakness" in the dollar. One year ago the one euro bought over 1.28 dollar. Now it is about 1.21USD/EURO. The exchange rate is about the same as it was about 3 months ago. Hardly "flying high"...

I would be interested to know how someone gets 15% return on THB/USD when the max fluctuation over the past year has been between 42 and 38 THB/USD? I did some Baht trading with Everbank this year but after they took their percentage at either end of the transaction it was hardly worth the trouble. I think I could have made the same on a three month CD.

I was also surprised that the Baht did not show some weakness during the Taksin fallout. In the earlier stages I saw a news report that said the Baht was strengthening due to the large influx of capital into Thailand from the Shin sale. So that made sense at the time.

Now I am wondering if there isn't some currency munipulation going on while a certain someone moves his billions out of the country?

Archived