Ouch - US dollar under 40 baht

OCgringo

I agree with you and others that the US dollar will continue to fall, how far, who can say? Read a prediction the other day that the price of a barrel of oil may reach $107 in the next couple of years...

One thing I?ve done is stash a substantial sum of money in diversified International CD?s through EverBank. I?m still pondering on what to do with my 401K. I?m no economist, but if the US economy tanks the other world markets and currencies will be adversely affected also.

Tough decision as to where to put your savings, but gold is starting to look better and better as a capital preservation alternative. You might not get rich investing in gold, but it?s unlikely you will lose your ass as might be the case with stocks and the rest.

ST

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well since I started this thread months ago the dollar has gone from 41 baht down to under 38 baht and now up to 39.5

The US$ - euro rate has been up to 1.35 now 1.29

ANY pattern here ? , not that I can see :)

I will keep my money in US$ , if it does go down 20-30% more the world economy will die , the US is the biggest market, the rest of the world cannot afford a collapse !

The money has already been made in gold , I do not see it moving 10% up ever

OC

:nono:The U.S. dollar has been sagging against the euro, the currency used by France, Germany and 10 other European countries. After Greenspan's remarks, which spurred traders to dump more dollars, the dollar fell again, flirting with a record low against the euro. The value of the greenback dropped to a 4 1/2-year low against Japan's yen.

The dollar's slide has been good for U.S. manufacturers because it makes their products less expensive in foreign markets. That can help U.S. exports and narrow the trade gap.

Although the Bush administration publicly espouses a "strong dollar" policy, officials have done nothing meant specially to stem the dollar's decline. Private economists believe that's because the administration is OK with what so far has been a relatively orderly decline of the dollar.

• 4 weeks later...

I was in Brasil recently and hang around in some Sao Paulo's fine clubs with a US bro ; 2.50 reals for the us$ began to hurt him, compared with 3.40 reals for the ?.

Thailand is a bargain currently at 51 baths. Gonna take my son for a three weeks vacations to BKK and Hua Hin in July, it will cost much less than Corsica, where we usually go, even with the cost of the plane ticket !!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

up a little??

Lost over 3 percent on goods I bought a couple of weeks ago in SriLanka. Just got a mail stating how much more I need to wire. Euro below 1.20. tss tss...

But I guess something good to get from the dollar rise

I think the dollar will continue to go up for a while. Oil is still climbing and by what I was reading Thailand imports 98% of their oil. This is causing prices to go up in LOS which is helping to destabilize the economy. There is also talk of a possible strike if the country does not raise the minimum wage.

To be honest I didn't think they had a minimum wage considering the salaries of some of the Thai people I know.

Archived