Ouch - US dollar under 40 baht

OCgringo

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I've seen the affects of the rising oil prices in Isaan, and it isn't going to be pretty if the caps come off and deisel floats with the market rates. As I am back in the states now and the fucking gasoline prices just hit $2.30 a gallon here, and it is being predicted to hit $3.00 a gallon before the winter, I imagine we'll soon see the baht at 50 to 1 again! Wouldn't want to be getting paid in baht that's for sure, and it sucks for the Thais, but yeah, it will be good for me. I was starting to get annoyed at the steady drop of the dollar. I'd be happy if it would just stay a steady 40 to 1. But will not cry too much if I get more for my dollars.

Cent

No if about the diesel caps IMHO. They announced in the paper Saturday that they may do it sooner rather than later.

Oh, just checked my last night's ATM withdrawl online. I got B41.654/$1 (BKK Bank's rate for today is 41.63).

Cheers,

SD

SD,

Yep, I use an ATM now all the time. Best exchange rate of all the ways to exchange money. I remember during the 97 meltdown at one point I was getting around 54 baht to the dollar. The problem is once the baht stabilizes at a higher rate all then prices go up so there goes a lot of your gain. I do remember the gogo bar prices first went up during the 97 slide of the baht, and never really went back down once the baht improved and stabilized around 42 for quite a while.

And here's a lovely thing ... yesterday drove past a Citgo station here ... the price showing on the pumps for high octane was $2.67 a fucking gallon! We're talking over 50 bucks to fill a 20 gallon gas tank! Soon enough only the rich will be able to afford gasoline and deisel. Time to buy a Honda Civic I guess.

Watch, soon all those lazy ass water buffalo will be doing some work again up in Isaan. With the high costs of oil I can see the water buffalo plows being used again to plow the rice fields by those on the edge. I'll let you know what I see in Isaan in a couple weeks once I am up there again. First off I will be doing my member duty and checking out Pattaya though before heading up to Surin. Feel like a weekend in Pattaya SD? Drag along GoatScrot and a few other friends and we'll all go see what Eyebee is doing and let him show us the best places for some sanuk? I need some beach time on Jomtien, and some sanuk time on walking street and soi 8! ::

Cent

Cent said:

fucking gasoline prices just hit $2.30 a gallon here

Lemme see if I get this right.

We pay here in Belgium an average of 1 euro / liter.

Thats 3.79 euro / gallon, or $ 3.16 / gallon.

Whiner :p

Remember back in '73 when oilprices went up ?

In today's $ that would be $ 100 per barrel, today the price is 'only' $ 58 per barrel.

More to come IMO.

BB

I always like Euros who bitch at us when we talk about $2.50 a gallon gas / petrol,

You gas/petro; prices are high beacause you are taxed to the moon,

One day I was in Germany and gas/petrol went up 60cents overnight in taxes to pay for east Germany "upgrade" !

So guess what Holland , Belgium etc raised their prices too,

more money for the government and no nasty East Germany bills for Holland / Belgium !

Plus how far does an average Euro drive ?

its only a few hours to cross Belgium,

I hate high gas prices, the cheapest around LA right now is $2.45 a US gallon,. but will I buy a small car to save fuel !

HELL NO !

OC

Oyeee Gringo !

There you go ! not bitching at all as we are used to be milked by our respective governments.

Just pointing out that you should not whine too much, your prices look very sweet to me :p

As for me, I fill it up locally and get a monthly invoice for the company, so I get the 21 % VAT back :D

Plus that I drive a small car doing 6 liter / 100 km on diesel, that is about 40 miles a gallon, good he ? :D

BB

• 5 months later...

Archived