Plan B in event of "Worst Case Scenario"

CondomKing

Hi,

"it made life a lot easier for me that i know that i have managed to set her up for life now. i have a priviledged passport - i could always find a way to survive well enough with that, she doesn't have that. "

Sounds pretty much like my/our situation and my point of view.

No real backup plan in case she goes first (although she does have life insurance with her kids as beneficiaries), but as you said I would like not have any problems, certainly less then her if I would go first. And that is why I did get a decent life insurance with her as benificiary. The amount, combined with owning a piece of land and a trade, should make sure she is taken care of.

Sanuk!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello,

Hubby and owned a small house built in my mother's land and according to the law, a foreigner can own the "inherited property", a land up to 1 rai. The rest of the "inherited property" must be disposed of and it is not clear within what period of time.

If I were you I would keep certain money separated in your country of origin for most Western country, a non-citizen can inherit and access to the fund, if there is a will. Even without a will, the wife still can access to the funds, including 401K and the company "retirement fund".

I am willing to say that the property you have owned in Thailand, it will be a "walk-away" one, unless you want to claim the 1 rai and stay where you are which you are legally entitled to.

Hubby and talked about certain monies we have in Thailand and he is not interested in getting any for, according to him "I have more than enough to live on anywhere I want". A man of small needs, indeed. :: There are ways to protect your wife and children even though they are in Thailand without moving the funds to Thailand.

Jasmine

Thanks for the answer, CondomKing.

So it seems that you are doing well. Just one remark:

Your wife could make a life insurance with you as beneficiary in another country than thailand. (for example in Switzerland, not joking there must be a reason why so many rich people trust their money to swiss banks and insurance companies ::)

Best regards

A bit off subject but I think having a good plan A is the key. For example. Why get married, it makes no sense what so ever. Avoid having kids. Only spend money on family or GF that you could afford to just lose through a hole in your pocket. Why attempt to "own" a property or business, we all know that as a farlang you can never actualy "own" neither. Yes its nice to have a meaningful relationship with a nice TG. But I think where the problem arises is when we try to bring the picket fence notions of relationships and lifestyle into it. TIT! It will never happen. The better way to look at things is much the way they do. All things are just passing so enjoy each day and mai pen rai. No need for a plan B

[color:"red"] A bit off subject but I think having a good plan A is the key. For example. Why get married, it makes no sense what so ever. [/color]

I am a long-time married woman, ok? Why did I marry Hubby? So I can get his money, is it ok with you? :neener:

Some of us believe in marriage and some are happy. However each to his own.

Jasmine

vegasdave49 said:

Why attempt to "own" a property or business, we all know that as a farlang you can never actualy "own" neither.

Yes, and as we all know "ownership" for all, Thai or Farang, expires at death. :doah::neener:

Dave - I can see your point and I guess it's a matter of "different strokes for different folks". One of the reasons that my wife and I married is because we like to spend time together and it was a whole lot easier than trying to get her a tourist visa to the US. :cussing:

So, besides the feelings that we have for each other, there was a practical reason too. :grinyes:

A bit off subject but I think having a good plan A is the key

Hmm, I see that you are thinking linearly... I have always a good plan A, a good plan B, a good plan C, a good plan D, a good plan E,....

Life isn't linear, at any day your decisions will change your future life into anther track.

But of course, my way of thinking leads me to exactly the same conclusion: enjoy each day and mai pen rai (because I have always some alternative plans).

Best regards

Archived