Plan B in event of "Worst Case Scenario"

CondomKing

Why get married, it makes no sense what so ever.

Because it is such a good feeling to have someone who cares for you and whom you care for.

There are people who like to care for a family.

There are people who like to care for many human beings (mother theresa, dalai lama, ...)

and there are people who don't see any sense to care for someone else than themselves. But of course they will never understand the others.

Best regards

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
naiv said:

Why get married, it makes no sense what so ever.

Because it is such a good feeling to have someone who cares for you and whom you care for.

There are people who like to care for a family.

There are people who like to care for many human beings (mother theresa, dalai lama, ...)

and there are people who don't see any sense to care for someone else than themselves. But of course they will never understand the others.

Best regards

I dont recall saying not to care for someone. Just why get married. Love, commitment, and caring are not exclusive to marriage.

in a nearer future i will be in the same risky situation - since a while i thinking about a plan B. We should not be dependent from our TG, with all love and trust in the live together, nobody knowing something about the future. My TG tell me always why i not buy a small condo in a city on my name, because without her, i could not in her village alone. And her family lives an hour away from there.

So it's time to think about Plan B, but must be Plan B only in LOS? :rolleyes:

And don't forget about the fact, that Thailand is not a real safe place for farangs to live.

naiv said:

Thanks for the answer, CondomKing.

So it seems that you are doing well. Just one remark:

Your wife could make a life insurance with you as beneficiary in another country than thailand. (for example in Switzerland, not joking there must be a reason why so many rich people trust their money to swiss banks and insurance companies ::)

-

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :hubba:

I dont recall saying not to care for someone. Just why get married. Love, commitment, and caring are not exclusive to marriage.

Yes of course. But if you love and care for a woman then you can also marry her. Unless you prefer to care for several women...

Marriage is just a external sign of your commitment with some legal advantages and disadvantages.

But to conclude that marriage doesn't make sense might apply to your situation but not to everyone.

Best regards

[color:"red"] "a foreigner can own the "inherited property", a land up to 1 rai."

[/color]

Yes, however, the catch is, he must be entitled to inherittance. That is he is a child of legal Thai, NOT by marriage. That means a child of foreign citizen can inherit from his Thai mother, Thai grandmother, etc. My daughter who is an American citizen can inherit from her uncle (my brother) and her grand parents.

I answer the post on the land because he can inherit thru his American company, NOT from his wife. However, his children (if any) can inherit and he can be the guardian of the lad for his children.

All what I posted is to the best of my knowledge, of course, the best way to find out is getting a good lawyer who specializes in land ownership.

Jasmine

Sure not nice to think about, but I guess you have to.

My wife is covered by the company provided life insurance. I would use the money to pay for her (and soon to mine) daughter's care and education. The land and stuff we bought in the village would go to family as I wouldn?t want it. I would continue to support mother and older sister. The condo in BKK we own I would continue to live in (maybe) as her daughter would inherit and I have consecutive 30 year leases.

TH

jasmine said:

[color:"red"] A bit off subject but I think having a good plan A is the key. For example. Why get married, it makes no sense what so ever. [/color]

Some of us believe in marriage and some are happy. However each to his own.

Jas, agreed, but I think vegasdave makes a slightly different point.

Unfortunately, in the situation the original poster describes, there really is no plan B. If the wife dies, it's over. Completely. There is nothing a farang can do in that situation but walk away from his home and property. Plan B, whatever it may be, will be a new start.

Many farang who get themselves in that situation do so for the wrong reasons. Many of them are older, in their 40s and beyond, and don't want to have kids. For those people I believe there are better options than getting married and building a house in Nowhereburi. A good plan A, at least to me, is a plan that will not completely uproot my life in case my partner dies.

You speak about yourself. Imagine a reverse scenario, where you are in a country where, if your husband were to die, you would lose all property and possibly the right to continue residence in the country. I think you would at least consider different arrangements as well.

[color:"red"] You speak about yourself. Imagine a reverse scenario, where you are in a country where, if your husband were to die, you would lose all property and possibly the right to continue residence in the country. I think you would at least consider different arrangements as well.

[/color]

You are absolutely right, that is why I simply admire these men who actually give so. Grant it for a million Baht, it is = $ 25,000 which most people (IMO) can make that in few months in the States.

If I were these men, I sure would make sure that there is a substantial capital in the home country.

I am actually in the same boat, I am not the Thai citizen, is being treated not much better on property ownership and things. However, we have been pushing certain rights of "born Thais" personnel and we are making progress, now we can own certain amount of properties even being married to a non-Thai. It was impossible 5 years ago. :D

Jasmine

Archived