Gig ?

greedisgood

Had a discussion on the golf course with a Thai friend about "Gig". He said it was a special friend, male or female, that you went out with--drinks, dinner, partying,-- then if the mood suited each other you ended up in bed only for the enjoyment. No emotional attachments :) My language teacher say's "Not so". "Only friend, no sex". Any thoughts ?

Gig is more than friend ("peuan"), but less than bf/gf ("fan"). "Gig" includes casual sex (that's pretty much the point of it, 'gig' is a partner for casual sex, the partying and so on is not really so important), without the emotional attachment of a "fan".

You are supposed to have only one "fan", but you can have many "gigs".

"Gig" is to a degree teenage language and behaviour. Your language teacher is very wrong.

The problem is that some Thai people misunderstand what a gig is... duay :: :o Your language teacher probably genuinely believes what he/she is saying.

College students and BG's know it to be a fuck buddy. Yet, I know a girl who works at a Thai language newspaper who insisted that she has a 'gig' but its just a boy she parties with a makes out with - no sex. Yet, he is still a 'gig'? I would, however, stick with the 'fuck buddy' definition :grinyes:

In the parlance of our times..

the_numbers

Hello,

I just learnt this slang a couple weeks ago also. An article was written in a Thai magazine. It states the meaning to be a partner, male or female (including homosexual/lesbian) for casual sex.

For me the word also states how some Thai people consider casual sex as a common activity which I am not sure how I fell about this. Not that there is anything wrong with 2 singles, mature adults but this word does not care whether the people involved are married or not.

At one time, the Thai men wet to brothels to release the boredom of one partner's sex activities, now methinks the brothels will have less business ::

Jasmine

Archived