internet movie download question

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

"but is was somehow explained to me that while i download the other computer does also somehow download what might be availabe at my computer and has somehow that way full access to my computer if i don't really know how to protect it."

No, not true. While you are downloading other people have only access to the files which you are downloading or those which you are 'seeding' (files which have finished downloading, but which are still being shared).

That's it. People can *not* access any of the other files on your machine.

Sanuk!

FYI....... the bit torrent program downloads 'bits' of a file from multiple sources at the same time ........... so even in the unlikely event that all the different sources had the identical virus, stored in the identical file, it still could NOT transfer a coherent virus to your system. Only would even be theoretically possible if there was only a single seed for the torrent.

ain't going to happen mate.

This does NOT apply to p2p sharing with emule or kazaa or other such services that connect to a single remote seed.. and are the major distributor of viruses.

Hail the Bit Torrent. :up:

Khun_Kong said:

Another plus-

Virtually impossible for the RIAA and other anti-P2P groups to setup phony files/URLS as they can with eDonkey, Kazaa, etc.

Seems they're really climbing the walls about this.

Som nom na, fuckers

Nope, piss easy, if the RIAA are the original seeders then the file can propgate from them....

Incidentally if you are paranoid about the RIAA, then use the Mute network for downloading torrents. The new system guarntees your IP address is hidden,

ain't going to happen mate

I still disagree ! If the original file contains a virus then this virus will be happily transferred.

What I do agree with, is that if the original file is clean then the bittorrent protocol doesn't allow anyone to tamper with this file.

Nope, piss easy, if the RIAA are the original seeders then the file can propgate from them....

Theoretically you're right, but the life span of a torrent is dependent of its popularity. A dummy file would soon loose its steam. I've downloaded a 100 movies so far, and haven't had a virus, a dummy or an unsuccesful download. I highly recommend bit torrent, even to the not so computer savvy folks out there.

Bit torrent rules! Go for it fly. :yay:

Bit Torrent Users Arrested in Finland

Finnish police raid BitTorrent site, arrest 34

By Drew Cullen

Published Tuesday 14th December 2004 23:51 GMT

Police in Finland have raided the operations of a popular BitTorrent file-swapping site, seizing equipment and arresting four people who ran the site. Around 30 volunteers who helped moderate the site were also arrested.

Police say the site had 10,000 users, all Finnish, who downloaded illegaly-copied content worth millions of euros. The site featured 6,000 torrents, including film, videos, music and games.

If convicted, the site operators face jail of up to two years and are liable for claims for damages from content owners.

According to Finnish newspaper reports (Finnish), the police liaised with Interpol and Elisa, a local ISP, in their investigations.

The Movie Picture Association of America (MPAA) today announced (pdf) that it is pursuing civil actions against hundreds of server operators of BitTorrent, eDonkey and DirectConnect P2P file-swapping networks, in its war on internet movie piracy.

In addition the MPAA is co-operating in criminal investigations with police in Finland, the Netherlands and France, so it is reasonable to infer that reports of raids in more European countries are likely to surface shortly.

uk101 said:

ain't going to happen mate

I still disagree ! If the original file contains a virus then this virus will be happily transferred.

What I do agree with, is that if the original file is clean then the bittorrent protocol doesn't allow anyone to tamper with this file.

Mate, I'm not going to argue with you, but I would suggest you get a BIT more knowledge about how the process works. :banghead:

Sorry, I couldn't resist that one. Me bad.

Archived