Thai Tital wave in Phuket

artiew said:

As sickening as it is the US media is now reporting how many American deaths there were. Like it's not important if Americans weren't killed.

The Australian media is also on tenterhooks in the hope of finding an Australian body somewhere in the debris. Can you imagine the outrage that something like this would have caused if it had hit the west coast of the US completely without warning ? My understanding is that 'First World' countries have systems in place to detect and warn people when a seismic event occurs : whether they would have had enough time to evacuate LA or SF is another issue.

BBC reported that because a wave like the one just seen in the Indian Ocean is so rare that no warning system has ever been envisioned.

The report also mentioned that 2 hours leed time for a wave occuring in the Indian Ocean vs up to 20 hours leed time for a wave occuring in the Pacific is also a factor when considering a early warning system.

Just recieved a email from Marina Divers in Karon beach. They said no damage to their resort was reported. If you you Karon beach/Kata beach you will know that Marina divers are located at the very south end of Karon Beach were the sand ends and the cliff/rocks begin. Cliffs rise about 50 feet in the air from the beach so the wave never breached the rocks. ALthought it must have got real wet.

Shit.

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A good map showing the likely spread of the Tsunami is here:

Map

What isn't being reported on much is the likely tragedy in Myanmar and Bangladesh, not a lot of word yet.

At 24,000 and rising, this could get worse.

not so cheerfull

Coss

MightyMouse said:

Thai TV claims 200-300 and possibly more Falangs died in this tragedy.

VERY BAD.

The area were the earthquake originated has been having quite a few quakes. Being the size of this last one 8.9, I suspect there maybe more to follow.

NOT VERY GOOD AT ALL.

Now upgraded to 9.0 making it the 4th largest earthquake since 1900.

?The very important factor in making the decision was that it?s high [tourist] season and hotel rooms were nearly 100-per-cent full. If we issued a warning, which would have led to evacuation, [and if nothing happened], what would happen then? Business would be instantaneously affected. It would be beyond the Meteorological Department?s ability to handle. We could go under, if [the tsunami] didn?t come,? said a source who attended the meeting."

I still plan on going to phuket on 1-18-05 for a week;i love it there. desk clerk at patong lodge hotel said no problem there and that if i was not planning on beach activities i could still have a nice time as most bars are still operating.he said he thought many non effected hotels would be filled with foreign crews. i am sure the bars will be packed.

More news from Phi Phi.....

KRABI, Thailand, (AFP) - More than 300 people, many of them foreign tourists, are believed to have died when tidal waves from Asia's massive earthquake struck Thailand's Phi Phi islands, a rescue worker said.

"I believe more than 300 people are dead" on Phi Phi, Wirat Mansa-ad, who was conducting official rescue operations on the small islands in the kingdom's south, told AFP, adding that nearly all buildings there had been destroyed.

"I saw bodies almost everywhere on land, and in the water too, and I think

there are many more bodies trapped under the bungalow debris," he said, adding that most of the fatalities were of elderly tourists.

Witnesses informed him that about 200 tourists had barely disembarked from their boat at Phi Phi when they were washed away by one of the tidal waves, he said.

Hundreds of workers and foreign tourists, including several injured, had been evacuated from the 28-square-kilometre (11-square-mile) main Phi Phi island, leaving about 800 still stranded in the island's hills.

Krabi's provincial governor Anont Promnart earlier said he feared at least 100 tourists may have died on the idyllic main island, which was the backdrop for the Hollywood movie "The Beach".

Survivors rescued from the island spoke of massive damage.

"I saw nothing left on the island," Malee Arab, a 31-year-old housekeeper at the Princess Bungalows, said. "Waves came from every side and they crashed together in the middle of the island."

Soibob,

Bodies are still washing up on the beach, and this clerk is telling you "Come on down, and remember to bring your swimsuit and suntan oil." Some people will say anything, including telling lies, to bring in customers.

I think it would be very nice for many of us to spend some money in Phuket and other hard-hit places as soon as practical, but not before then. You might want to give it a couple of weeks before deciding where to go. Maybe you can arrange it so you can divert to Pattay or Samui if things Phuket isn't ready for prime time when its time for you to start your trip.

The U.S. Department of State asks U.S. citizens not to go there:

-start of quote-

Thailand Public Announcement

December 26, 2004

This Public Announcement is being issued to urge American citizens to avoid travel to the southwestern area of Thailand encompassing Phuket, Phi Phi Island, Krabi, and the small islands in the vicinity due to the aftermath of lethal tsunamis. US citizens in those areas are also urged to depart as soon as safe transportation is available. This Public Announcement expires on January 25, 2005.

A series of tsunami waves caused by a severe earthquake struck southwestern coastal areas of Thailand on December 26 and caused great loss of life and destruction to buildings and infrastructure in the popular resort areas of Phuket, Phi Phi Island, Krabi, and other smaller islands in that vicinity. There have been severe disruptions to normal services in these areas, including hotels and telephone services. As a result, the Department of State urges that American citizens avoid all non-emergency travel to those areas

-end of quote-

Archived