Thai Tital wave in Phuket

sayjann said:

i'm not sure how an early warning system would work.

this was an event which was very unusual(has it ever happened in living memory)? and would any of the Countries involved invisaged anything like this happening?.

do the Countries have the technology to work out what was happening and to react in time?.

From what I've read part of the problem is that this is so unusual in this area whereas in Japan for example after an all too common earthquake, all know to watch the ocean nowadays.

The Tsunami system is actually run and maintained by others and can provide warnings to areas that a Tsunami likely has been generated. Here's a quote from one of the officials who explained they did try to warn the countries affected:

UNABLE TO WARN THEM IN TIME

The earthquake, of magnitude 8.9 as measured by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS), struck at 7:59 a.m. (1959 EST) off Sumatra.

A warning center such as those used along the Pacific Rim could have saved most of the thousands of people who died, a USGS official said.

Laura Kong, director of the International Tsunami Information Center in Hawaii, said it had picked up the earthquake but was unable to warn countries in time of the tsunami waves rolling toward their coastlines.

"They were able to make contact but they did not have the proper, I guess, government officials to notify. They'll be working on this for the future," she told CNN.

Last update I saw was death toll now over 15,000 and now they worry about epidemics in the area:

"The longer term effects may be as devastating as .... the tsunami itself," the U.N.'s Emergency Relief Coordinator Jan Egeland told CNN.

"Many more people are now affected by polluted drinking water. We could have epidemics within a few days unless we get health systems up and running.

"Many people will have (had) their livelihoods, their whole future destroyed in a few seconds."

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

King's grandson killed by tidal waves

Published on December 28, 2004

A grandson of King Bhumibol Adulyadej was among those killed when tidal waves smashed into southern Thailand, Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra said Monday.

He said the body of Bhumi Jensen, 21, was found at the resort of Khao Lak in Phang Nga province about one hundred metres away from where he was last seen before the waves hit on Sunday.

The Nation

Since getting home from work I have been glued to the local Thai TV coverage of the disaster. Scenes form the last hour have been harrowing. A camera crew made it on to Phi phi and you could clearly see bodies trapped under the rubble. Also, they showed some Thais going through what would best be described as an open air mortuary, where bodies were being identified. There were HEAPS and you could clearly see them. Worst of all, on shot showed a young child, just a few years old.

CNN has a video tape I just saw on the tele...

It's the first wave...watching patong go from clear beaches to insanity...I believe you get a view of Bangala road as the water moves up the soi...taking cars and motos up the lane!

Anyone on the beach was most likely dead...and the hotel first and second floors seem flooded...death while you sleep!

It shows the whole coast line...awesome, deadly, destruction...Mother nature and her fury!

SkiBum

Really really bad stuff this. Particularly that still no accounts from worst hit areas like khao lak etc.

Many personal reports to be read on various news sources including bbc where people in Bangkok's highrise hotels like landmark & peninsula report swaying for minutes in their rooms!

Total losses now surpassing 20k on most sources.

I'm touched by a photo of thai munks donating blood to red cross

Hi,

With all the devastation going on I was really glad to see Racha posting. LongGun and I were talking about you this morning, tried calling but got no answer. Glad you are okay.

(Send word to LongGun as well).

We found out about this only at about 4pm on Sunday, just when we were about to go to a wedding. Put a bit of a damper on things.

I think think in light of this we should lift the rule on identifying people temporarily. If people are searching for friends or would like to pass on messages, then feel free to use this board.

KS

Bhumiphol Jensen was a son of Princess Ubolrat and her ex-husband, Peter Jensen. This will hit the royal family hard. The Princess married an American over HM's objections, had 3 children with him and then divorced Jensen because he was playing around on her and allegedly planning to file for divorce from her so he could marry his secretary.

Bhumi was a nice looking young man. Since titles pass through the male line, he was not a prince -- just a regular fella. He grew up in California.

Poor kid got a raw deal early on:

The Nation

AROUND TOWN:

Feb 6, 2002

Princess Ubolrat was willing to share her valuable experience in raising her autistic child Khun Bhumi Jensen, during an interview on Channel's Twilight Show .

She advised other parents of autistic children that they should not feel embarrassed and allow and encourage their children get involved and learn about living in society. The princess believes that autistic children "put themselves in jail" and if we don't bring them out they will remain isolated.

The princess also stressed the importance of enrolling children in specially designed programmes. "Studying in these programmes will certainly help. Although most autistic children won't be completely cured, in every mother's heart there is a deep feeling that we want our child to be happy," said the princess.

With her own child, the princess encountered problems in the US as people didn't understand Khun Bhumi's behaviour. "We were even asked to leave some places," she recalls, adding that thanks to the kindness of Thai society, Khun Bhumi has showed significant development and he is now able to adjust to society.

Archived